There are 138 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

R.I.P. Al Davis

Originally posted by carlgo:
Tried to put him in a positive light, but can't. He was evidently a dear friend to those close to him and he helped out some players who fell on hard times. What did that take, .000001% of his wealth? Big deal. He screwed the people of Oakland and those poor rubes who went bankrupt over the famous gravel pit deal. That's where his "generous" contributions came from. Came from a community that desperately needed the money for other uses and couldn't afford Al.

Football knowledge? More than any other coach or GM or whatever? Did you see it applied successfully? Oh, sure, when he had a few historically good teams with iconic players. Frigging Singletary could have won with those teams (almost). Mostly we saw horrible teams, blackouts, gangsters in the stands, meddling, terrible drafts, on and on. What really was the good or even decent professionalism that he brought. Really none.

A hard, dark, crazed old guy. Worthy of no adulation at all except what befits any human whose behavior may be determined by forces they can't control.

First and foremost, he was one of the main people responsible for the merger of the AFL and NFL and shape the game into what it is today. You could start with that when questioning what he brought to the sport.
Originally posted by aman49:
Originally posted by Janitor:
Sorry but I'm not into necrophilia. I don't suck people's dicks after they die. Truth is Al Davis has been incompetent for quite some time now, and the Raiders will likely benefit from his death. The man was a legend, but that was a long time ago.

Yesterday everyone was ripping this man apart saying how horrible and what a jackass he is. Today the man was a saint who we all are going to miss sooooo much. Please.

He was a legend less than a decade a ago. Besides, once a legend, always a legend.

Do I think the team will go upward now that Al has passed? Yes. Do I still consider Al to be one of the most important people in the history of professional football? It's not debatable.

+1
Rough week for Bay area icons.

RIP Mr. Davis.
  • Chico
  • Veteran
well, i'm 45 and i do realize he had a very big impact on the game. I'm still a little confused about his move to LA. All i remember is his kid being interviewed and the media was asking if he was going to stay in LA or move back to Oakland...his kid said it was ALL about the $. I remember his $100 million lawsuit with the NFL for whatever crazy reason. His stupid draft picks, Djamarcus, DHB, Gallery, etc...I remember him coming out with a "TEAM OF THE DECADES" slogan with a large raider helmet sitting behind three mini helmets (Packers, Steelers, 49ers)

I do sympathize for him and his family...but, i don't remember much positive about him???
Originally posted by carlgo:
Tried to put him in a positive light, but can't. He was evidently a dear friend to those close to him and he helped out some players who fell on hard times. What did that take, .000001% of his wealth? Big deal. He screwed the people of Oakland and those poor rubes who went bankrupt over the famous gravel pit deal. That's where his "generous" contributions came from. Came from a community that desperately needed the money for other uses and couldn't afford Al.

Football knowledge? More than any other coach or GM or whatever? Did you see it applied successfully? Oh, sure, when he had a few historically good teams with iconic players. Frigging Singletary could have won with those teams (almost). Mostly we saw horrible teams, blackouts, gangsters in the stands, meddling, terrible drafts, on and on. What really was the good or even decent professionalism that he brought. Really none.

A hard, dark, crazed old guy. Worthy of no adulation at all except what befits any human whose behavior may be determined by forces they can't control.
Come on dude seriously have some more respect for the man, i am in that under 30 category and i have an great respect for Al Davis. That man is a pioneer in pro football, without him the NFL might not have came as far as it is. He was one the first if not the first to truly embrace African american football players when hardly anyone else would honestly he's a good dude everyone has their faults but no one is perfect his impact on the NFL we know and Love is unquestionable and we should all be thankful and show respect to a man who truly mad the NFL the dynamo of sports it is now R.I.P Mr. Al Davis.
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
Guys ripped this guy in the interest of competitive sports entertainment, he owned one of our franchises greatest rivalries. This does not take away anybody's respect and admiration for the man responsible for helping to shape the game into what it is now. Most of us are looking at the bigger picture and not still holding him accountable for a stupid sports rivalry. I am a yankee's fan but that doesn't mean I will hold a keg party with streamers the day John Henry dies.

As a mod, why are you stirring stuff up here man? I'd expect a little more from one of the site leaders here.

Oh I'm sorry, I forgot mods were supposed to sit around the table sipping tea out of fine china. No opinions allowed.

I disagree with your opening statement. Guys on here have openly hated Davis, and not just "in the interest of competitive sports".

I'm just calling everyone out for hating people one day and then saying how much they are effected when the person dies. Same as with Michael Jackson, pedophile creepy nasty dude one day, global icon and best musician ever the next.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by aman49:
Sorry but I'm not into necrophilia. I don't suck people's dicks after they die. Truth is Al Davis has been incompetent for quite some time now, and the Raiders will likely benefit from his death. The man was a legend, but that was a long time ago.

Yesterday everyone was ripping this man apart saying how horrible and what a jackass he is. Today the man was a saint who we all are going to miss sooooo much. Please.

He was a legend less than a decade a ago. Besides, once a legend, always a legend.

Do I think the team will go upward now that Al has passed? Yes. Do I still consider Al to be one of the most important people in the history of professional football? It's not debatable.

+1

I don't discredit anything he has done. I agree he is a legend. I would say a little more than a decade ago though. He changed football forever, but that doesn't mean I have to like him or feel sad and cry when he dies.
Guys ripped this guy in the interest of competitive sports entertainment, he owned one of our franchises greatest rivalries. This does not take away anybody's respect and admiration for the man responsible for helping to shape the game into what it is now. Most of us are looking at the bigger picture and not still holding him accountable for a stupid sports rivalry. I am a yankee's fan but that doesn't mean I will hold a keg party with streamers the day John Henry dies.

As a mod, why are you stirring stuff up here man? I'd expect a little more from one of the site leaders here.

Oh I'm sorry, I forgot mods were supposed to sit around the table sipping tea out of fine china. No opinions allowed.

I disagree with your opening statement. Guys on here have openly hated Davis, and not just "in the interest of competitive sports".

I'm just calling everyone out for hating people one day and then saying how much they are effected when the person dies. Same as with Michael Jackson, pedophile creepy nasty dude one day, global icon and best musician ever the next.

No I still think he's a pedophile and creepy nasty dude. Atleast with Davis he got his team back on track before he died with some good young players like McFadden, McClain, Moore, etc and a decent record.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

No I still think he's a pedophile and creepy nasty dude. Atleast with Davis he got his team back on track before he died with some good young players like McFadden, McClain, Moore, etc and a decent record.

I can't argue against this year, but I have to wait until it plays out to make a judgement. But yes this is the first year in a long time he actually does have things going the right way.
Al Davis, a true NFL Icon who had a large hand in helping make the NFL the greatest game played, has passed. R.I.P. Mr. Davis.

1. Hating someone whom you probably have never met and only know through a media warped lens is a dangerous reason to hate anyone. Many men, including the well respected current head coach of the Niners thought the world of Al Davis and were friends with him. That alone should tell you that the perception you have of this man through the media may not be correct, unless, of course, you think little of the opinion of men such as Jim Harbaugh, but you think highly of the opinion of Lane Kiffin. Then again, you mention Michael Jackson as a pedophilia, which he was never convicted of in any court of law, but only in the court of popular opinion, so it makes me think that you do indeed base all your opinions on the shifting sand of public opinion rather than on truth.

2. People change the sorts of things they say about someone when they die for many reasons. One being that they didn't realize how great of a person he was and another being that the things that he was disliked for are small in comparison to the good that he gave to many people, including his family, friends and other people who knew him. Even if you didn't care for the man, by disrespecting him with cruel statements, you indirectly disrespect the people who did care about him, loved him, and don't agree with your assessment -- the people who knew the man in person and not the caricature on TV.

In short, if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all. What good do your admitted hate filled words serve? Does it make anyone's day or life better? What is their purpose? "Keeping it real" means nothing when its sole purpose is to hurt. Are you so self-righteous and high and mighty that you are without any faults and deserve to sit in judgment of others faults and then try to pile it on when they pass away?

Anyway, have a good day.
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:

1. Hating someone whom you probably have never met and only know through a media warped lens is a dangerous reason to hate anyone. Many men, including the well respected current head coach of the Niners thought the world of Al Davis and were friends with him. That alone should tell you that the perception you have of this man through the media may not be correct, unless, of course, you think little of the opinion of men such as Jim Harbaugh, but you think highly of the opinion of Lane Kiffin. Then again, you mention Michael Jackson as a pedophilia, which he was never convicted of in any court of law, but only in the court of popular opinion, so it makes me think that you do indeed base all your opinions on the shifting sand of public opinion rather than on truth.

2. People change the sorts of things they say about someone when they die for many reasons. One being that they didn't realize how great of a person he was and another being that the things that he was disliked for are small in comparison to the good that he gave to many people, including his family, friends and other people who knew him. Even if you didn't care for the man, by disrespecting him with cruel statements, you indirectly disrespect the people who did care about him, loved him, and don't agree with your assessment -- the people who knew the man in person and not the caricature on TV.

In short, if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all. What good do your admitted hate filled words serve? Does it make anyone's day or life better? What is their purpose? "Keeping it real" means nothing when its sole purpose is to hurt. Are you so self-righteous and high and mighty that you are without any faults and deserve to sit in judgment of others faults and then try to pile it on when they pass away?

Anyway, have a good day.

1. I didn't say those I personally believe those things, that's what public perception is/was. Also, if you knew anything about me you would know I am strictly against public opinion, which is kind of the entire point of my argument. Look deeper.

2. Really? Really? Really. Really? You are going to play the "if you can't say something nice" game? I can't even start on why that disney philosophy is a load of crap.
  • dj43
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:

But for Al Davis' help to pair the DeBartolo's with the Morabitio's to buy the Niners we most likely don't have five Lombardi trophies in the case. That alone should not only keep Niner fans from pizzing on his grave, but earn him some gratitude.

Not only that, but as Jose Cortez noted back a few pages ago, it was at Davis' encouragement to Eddie that he made the decision to hire Bill Walsh. Eddie knew he had made a mess of things with the Joe Thomas hiring and knew neither 49er fans nor his father (who really put up the money) would tolerate another bust in the FO and on the side line. At the time Davis was still considered to be one of the best and brightest minds in pro football and Eddie took his word as opposed to those who felt Walsh was too old, didn't have enough experience, etc., etc. As you said, if it had not been for Al Davis, the history of this franchise might be very different.

I have always been a 49er fan first, but back in the days of Stabler, Branch, Belitnikoff, Marv Hubbard and the guys, the Raiders were a very entertaining team to watch. Davis was pulling all the right strings in just the right way. It was sad to see him begin to lose it in recent years but the man WAS an icon. Though he lifted his middle finger at the league hierarchy on numerous occasions, they are all making a lot more money now because of what he did 30-40 years ago.
I almost forgot this part

Are you so self-righteous and high and mighty that you are without any faults and deserve to sit in judgment of others faults and then try to pile it on when they pass away?

I could ask the same question right back at you since you are judging me, and that would make you a hypocrite. You see where the logic fails here I hope.

By the way, I'm not self-righteous, I'm narcissistic. It's no wonder, since....
Godspeed Mr. Davis....