Rep the Red & Gold: Shop 49ers Gear →

There are 672 users in the forums

Taylor Mays for 2013 7th Round Pick

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
if mays was a baalke pick then he wouldn't have given up on him so fast...understand? no, probably not.

What is so hard to understand when Mike Maiocco states that TRENT BAALKE HAD THE LAST WORD IN THE DRAFT!!!!

Translation: HE HAD THE LAST WORD IN THE DRAFT!!! He is accountable for the players selected, whether he liked them or not.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
I did go off. The team kept a number of players who would never suit up for a game, and dumped their special teams captain. Brilliant!!! As we saw early last year, our team looked more like the Special Olympics than Special Teams.

By the way, Seattle was so unimpressed with Robinson this year....that they resigned him to another contract.

Robinson is a big meh...I could take him or leave him, but he wasn't the special teams problem, the returners were pretty bad, he wasn't one of them.
Originally posted by WINiner:
Whats with your personal vendetta on Baalke lately, he spit on your burger? Why do you care how others on the board view Baalke? A serious question, why does it matter to you?

I want to win. He is not a winner. Obviously, to others, it is more important to defend a guy who is clearly clueless and continue losing. You like losing, then Baalke is your man.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by WINiner:
Whats with your personal vendetta on Baalke lately, he spit on your burger? Why do you care how others on the board view Baalke? A serious question, why does it matter to you?

I want to win. He is not a winner. Obviously, to others, it is more important to defend a guy who is clearly clueless and continue losing. You like losing, then Baalke is your man.

you act like baalke has been running the show for like 5+ years lol, youre hopeless..
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by WINiner:
Whats with your personal vendetta on Baalke lately, he spit on your burger? Why do you care how others on the board view Baalke? A serious question, why does it matter to you?

I want to win. He is not a winner. Obviously, to others, it is more important to defend a guy who is clearly clueless and continue losing. You like losing, then Baalke is your man.

don't you think its a tad bit early to be calling the guy a loser considering this is his first time being the real G.M.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Why do people continue to play the victim card for Baalke? Poor Baalke, he is the innocent party. No! The beat writers have already stated that he had final word in the draft. So, Mays was HIS PICK. If he was so sold against Mays, he should have showed a spine and said No to Singletary.

Baalke is no victim and I would think a lot more of him if he did stand up to Singletary . . if in the words of Mike Lombardi, Sing "pounded the table" in support of Mays. That said, at least there's an indication that Baalke didn't think highly of Mays. Hopefully he learns to stick with his gut and stick to his guns.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by 49ersAreTrash:
Either way you look at it, Taylor Mays will not be able to cover Larry Fitzgerald, and his backup will not be able to either so you might as well keep him just so that your broken franchise doesn't look as bad as it is.

kolb will just throw to the opposing team anyway, no worries there

Plus Spencer has always done well against Fitzgerald.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Why do people continue to play the victim card for Baalke? Poor Baalke, he is the innocent party. No! The beat writers have already stated that he had final word in the draft. So, Mays was HIS PICK. If he was so sold against Mays, he should have showed a spine and said No to Singletary.

Baalke is no victim and I would think a lot more of him if he did stand up to Singletary . . if in the words of Mike Lombardi, Sing "pounded the table" in support of Mays. That said, at least there's an indication that Baalke didn't think highly of Mays. Hopefully he learns to stick with his gut and stick to his guns.

Sing must be a bigtime bully.
3 minutes ago - by Paul Dehner Jr. - S Mays shows why most teams didn't want him
S Taylor Mays showed why 31 teams were uninterested in his services on the first play from scrimmage Thursday. As has been the knock on Mays, despite his elite size and speed he found himself out of position and beaten on a deep pass. He eventually committed a pass interference penalty. Bengals RapidReports
  • Nuns
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 1,301
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by WINiner:
Whats with your personal vendetta on Baalke lately, he spit on your burger? Why do you care how others on the board view Baalke? A serious question, why does it matter to you?

I want to win. He is not a winner. Obviously, to others, it is more important to defend a guy who is clearly clueless and continue losing. You like losing, then Baalke is your man.

Maddog,

Love your stuff, particularly draft news. I can't buy this line of thinking though. MM is NOT in the Niner war room and has a fraction more knowledge than the standard fanatic. You cannot quote him as "the standard" for what Baalke did or did not want.

Take me down in 3 years if Harbough isnt the head coach, Kilgore isn't a starting guard in the league, Smith isn't a 9 sack/year guy, Culliver doesn't start at corner and Hunter isn't a starting starting running back. I'll openly admit you were right, close my account and concede that Trent didn't belong in the GM role.

If 4/5 of those things don't happen, promise to do the same.
Originally posted by Nuns:
Maddog,

Love your stuff, particularly draft news. I can't buy this line of thinking though. MM is NOT in the Niner war room and has a fraction more knowledge than the standard fanatic. You cannot quote him as "the standard" for what Baalke did or did not want.

Take me down in 3 years if Harbough isnt the head coach, Kilgore isn't a starting guard in the league, Smith isn't a 9 sack/year guy, Culliver doesn't start at corner and Hunter isn't a starting starting running back. I'll openly admit you were right, close my account and concede that Trent didn't belong in the GM role.

If 4/5 of those things don't happen, promise to do the same.
Thanks for the complimentary comments.

As for MM, he is more dialed in on what is happening behind the scenes than any other writer. He would not have made these statements unless he knew for sure they were true. He is a pretty conservative writer. He is not the only one who has made that statement, either.

As for the Baalke legacy, you are very optimistic that all these players will play to a high level. Let's go through your coach and player list:
1) I also believe that Harbaugh will be coaching the team in three years. As I have stated many times before, the praise showered on Baalke for landing Harbaugh is unwarranted. Harbaugh wanted to move to the NFL, and yet wanted to stay with his family in the Bay Area. Since the Raiders did not have an open position, there was only team left in the matrix. Selling the Niners to Harbaugh would be like selling the idea of dating a Victoria's Secret model to a board member.
2) Since Kilgore is under contract for 3 years to the Niners, he would have to either become the starter on this team, or be released and do the same for another. He is not going to beat out Iupati, so the team would have to have him at center or right guard. I'd say he is probably a 35-65 shot to be a starter. Late rounders usually do not start, but the talent level at center and right guard is not solid for this team.
3) I don't see Smith as a 9 sack/year guy. Maybe seven/year. He doesn't have that explosive burst around the corner, and I think that limits his ability to post a high amount each year. Not saying he will be a bad player at all. I see him as a starter, but not a star.
4) Culliver may end up a starter at corner, but his better future is at safety. I'd give him better odds there in the future.
5) Hunter was one of my favorite backs in the draft, but I am not sure he is an every down back, due to his size. Terrific change of pace back.
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
3 minutes ago - by Paul Dehner Jr. - S Mays shows why most teams didn't want him
S Taylor Mays showed why 31 teams were uninterested in his services on the first play from scrimmage Thursday. As has been the knock on Mays, despite his elite size and speed he found himself out of position and beaten on a deep pass. He eventually committed a pass interference penalty. Bengals RapidReports

I can't stand Mays and was VERY against drafting him. I don't think he will ever be much in the NFL. That being said, I watched that game, and he had really good coverage on that play. He made a slight mistake of not looking back as he went for the ball/WR, and it resulted in a penalty. But it was a pretty ticky tack penalty and overall his coverage was solid. He has also made some other solid plays in the game.

I'm not saying I want him on our team, but he is physically talented and worth way more than a 7th rounder two years from now. If that's the best we could get, even a Mays hater like me sees that the greater value would have been to keep him and see what develops.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
if mays was a baalke pick then he wouldn't have given up on him so fast...understand? no, probably not.

What is so hard to understand when Mike Maiocco states that TRENT BAALKE HAD THE LAST WORD IN THE DRAFT!!!!

Translation: HE HAD THE LAST WORD IN THE DRAFT!!! He is accountable for the players selected, whether he liked them or not.

Just because Maiocco said it does not make this 100% true. There is always some give and and take between GM's and Coaches.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Thanks for the complimentary comments.

As for MM, he is more dialed in on what is happening behind the scenes than any other writer. He would not have made these statements unless he knew for sure they were true. He is a pretty conservative writer. He is not the only one who has made that statement, either.

As for the Baalke legacy, you are very optimistic that all these players will play to a high level. Let's go through your coach and player list:
1) I also believe that Harbaugh will be coaching the team in three years. As I have stated many times before, the praise showered on Baalke for landing Harbaugh is unwarranted. Harbaugh wanted to move to the NFL, and yet wanted to stay with his family in the Bay Area. Since the Raiders did not have an open position, there was only team left in the matrix. Selling the Niners to Harbaugh would be like selling the idea of dating a Victoria's Secret model to a board member.
2) Since Kilgore is under contract for 3 years to the Niners, he would have to either become the starter on this team, or be released and do the same for another. He is not going to beat out Iupati, so the team would have to have him at center or right guard. I'd say he is probably a 35-65 shot to be a starter. Late rounders usually do not start, but the talent level at center and right guard is not solid for this team.
3) I don't see Smith as a 9 sack/year guy. Maybe seven/year. He doesn't have that explosive burst around the corner, and I think that limits his ability to post a high amount each year. Not saying he will be a bad player at all. I see him as a starter, but not a star.
4) Culliver may end up a starter at corner, but his better future is at safety. I'd give him better odds there in the future.
5) Hunter was one of my favorite backs in the draft, but I am not sure he is an every down back, due to his size. Terrific change of pace back.

Hmm, I recall you singing a different tune about MM when he was breaking the story on the Crabtree signing. You know, the one when you ridiculed him for talking about MC Hammer and wrote about how he had lost his mind. I guess he is only a competent and “more dialed in” writer when it fits your agenda.
  • dj43
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 38,414
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Thanks for the complimentary comments.

As for MM, he is more dialed in on what is happening behind the scenes than any other writer. He would not have made these statements unless he knew for sure they were true. He is a pretty conservative writer. He is not the only one who has made that statement, either.

As for the Baalke legacy, you are very optimistic that all these players will play to a high level. Let's go through your coach and player list:
1) I also believe that Harbaugh will be coaching the team in three years. As I have stated many times before, the praise showered on Baalke for landing Harbaugh is unwarranted. Harbaugh wanted to move to the NFL, and yet wanted to stay with his family in the Bay Area. Since the Raiders did not have an open position, there was only team left in the matrix. Selling the Niners to Harbaugh would be like selling the idea of dating a Victoria's Secret model to a board member.
2) Since Kilgore is under contract for 3 years to the Niners, he would have to either become the starter on this team, or be released and do the same for another. He is not going to beat out Iupati, so the team would have to have him at center or right guard. I'd say he is probably a 35-65 shot to be a starter. Late rounders usually do not start, but the talent level at center and right guard is not solid for this team.
3) I don't see Smith as a 9 sack/year guy. Maybe seven/year. He doesn't have that explosive burst around the corner, and I think that limits his ability to post a high amount each year. Not saying he will be a bad player at all. I see him as a starter, but not a star.
4) Culliver may end up a starter at corner, but his better future is at safety. I'd give him better odds there in the future.
5) Hunter was one of my favorite backs in the draft, but I am not sure he is an every down back, due to his size. Terrific change of pace back.

Hmm, I recall you singing a different tune about MM when he was breaking the story on the Crabtree signing. You know, the one when you ridiculed him for talking about MC Hammer and wrote about how he had lost his mind. I guess he is only a competent and “more dialed in” writer when it fits your agenda.

Do you kids REALLY enjoy this little dance?
Open Menu Search Share 49ersWebzone