LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 264 users in the forums

The extra point is dumb. Eliminate them?

Shop 49ers game tickets

The extra point is dumb. Eliminate them?

With all the rule changes the league (Goodell) is constantly making why not revamp extra points? Extra points are boring crap. Pointless (pun intended)

You have the most exciting play in the game (touchdown) and what do you do? You interrupt replays of Alex Smith running circles through the D (it could happen) to show some kicker drilling a kick he could make blindfolded. Half the time when the kicker comes out for the PAT I'm in the kitchen anyway making a sandwich (no gf at the moment ), grabbing a beer, or checking my fantasy team on the laptop. So if anything interesting DOES happen (it won't) I'm probably going to miss it anyway.

Like last year DeSean Jackson had the punt return TD against the Giants with 0:00 on the clock to put the Eagles ahead 37-31. Ballgame. They actually had to pause the celebration so that David Akers could come out and kick his utterly meaningless PAT. Stupid, right?

Just make the TD worth 7 points. If you want to take 6 points and go for two you still can do so. But the extra point is automatically given without having to kick. Less kicking equals more football.
Take away the extra point and special teams involvement in the game becomes less significant, much like the FB position is in todays game.
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Dumb idea
push it out to the 25. If a team chooses to go for 2, move it up to the 5. DO IT!
Wouldn't really give a damn if they chose to eliminate it, but I'd just leave things as is.
How is our kicker gonna get some points when we're dominating our opponents
lets just make the extra point like the XFL 3 diferent levels/distance
  • Ether
  • Veteran
Tell John Carney and the 2003 Saints that the Extra Point is pointless.
The extra point is not as dumb as this idea!

zing

Originally posted by Ether:

The exact same thing popped up in my head too. Leave the extra point, and stop f**king with my football, NFL.
If they did that, the already meaningless name of "Football" would become even that more innapropriate.

Besides, how can you say the XP is pointless when you said yourself that's when you grab another beer? Perhaps that is the point of it.
The extra point is supposed to be easy, because the 2 point conversion is so much more difficult, like scoring another TD. It comes down to late in games and you need points, do we go for 1 or go for 2? It creates extra drama and possibilities and it's awesome.
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
Originally posted by Ether:

The exact same thing popped up in my head too. Leave the extra point, and stop f**king with my football, NFL.

cosigned
I think this idea/thread got 13, now 14 more replies than it deserved.
Share 49ersWebzone