LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 232 users in the forums

The extra point is dumb. Eliminate them?

Shop 49ers game tickets

The extra point is dumb. Eliminate them?

This thread is dumb
Originally posted by strickac:
This thread is dumb

Agreed.
i wouldn't mind them pushing it back a few yards. its basically a gimme..and yes, I know there are examples of XP being missed or blocked, but its very rare. Moving the kick back five yards wouldn't change the nature of the game, but it might make the XP more exciting.
kickers gotta eat too
It's not a gimme. Sometimes you miss and lose by 1. You gotta make it.
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
Originally posted by Ether:
Tell John Carney and the 2003 Saints that the Extra Point is pointless.

The exact same thing popped up in my head too. Leave the extra point, and stop f**king with my football, NFL.

• flow
  • Veteran
The last thing we want is to let Goodell/Rules Committee tinker with things any more.
Originally posted by flow:
The last thing we want is to let Goodell/Rules Committee tinker with things any more.

It's horrendous what they did the kickoff this year. There are 3 aspects to the game. Not 2. There is offense, defense, and special teams. A team like the Chargers was ranked #1 in offense and #1 in defense but still lost lots of games and missed the playoffs. Because their special teams was horrible. Or for example our team which is bad has Ted Ginn. He can sometimes keep you in games if he can bring one back. Now a bad team even if they have a special teams advantage has nothing. And a good team with horrible special teams (Chargers) will mask that problem as if it didn't exist. It messes with the competative balance in ways I don't think are good.
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
Originally posted by Ether:
Tell John Carney and the 2003 Saints that the Extra Point is pointless.

The exact same thing popped up in my head too. Leave the extra point, and stop f**king with my football, NFL.

LOL, right on guys. I know it's a safety thing but part of this is them wanting to please the casual fan and not have them turn away. It makes sense from their standpoint but from mine if you don't care enough about the game that we have to mess with tradition to keep you pleased then I don't want you watching. It may be dull to some but a lot of these traditions of the game are getting taken away. It's definitely changing... more viewers but the game has gotten worse in a few aspects.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Aug 19, 2011 at 11:56 PM ]
Originally posted by 49erRider:
This thread is dumb

Agreed.

This thread is dumb
Eliminate it?
Making suggestions like this tells me the OP has just starting watching football.

Crazy thinking
Originally posted by Godsleftsock:
This thread is dumb
Eliminate it?

Yes, eliminate this thread.
If you get rid of the extra point, you get rid of the possibility of a 2 point conversion.

Bad idea.
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
If you get rid of the extra point, you get rid of the possibility of a 2 point conversion.

Bad idea.

no you don't this was posted to begin with...

Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

Just make the TD worth 7 points. If you want to take 6 points and go for two you still can do so. But the extra point is automatically given without having to kick.

but nonetheless it up the 'zone has spoken
Share 49ersWebzone