LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 258 users in the forums

How the NFC West QBs stack up statistically

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • dj43
Originally posted by Hollywood:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Alex Smith - Finally a decent offensive support cast while healthy and with much improved weapons (and OL perhaps?) = best of bunch
Sam Bradford - decent yet exaggerated rookie year... he'll be pretty good as long as he stays healthy though.
Kevin Kolb - grotesquely overrated, and only Fitzgerald can make him look better than he is behind that terrible OL pass pro.
Tavaris Jackson - probably will get overthrown by Clipboard Jeebus soon. T.J. has the vision and happy feet of Troy Smith.

Sorry but Bradford > Smith Bradford had nobody to throw to yet his rookie campaign looked better than all but 1 of Alex's seasons. Not sure what finally decent offensive support means, as Braylon Edwards was the only offensive weapon to be added. Vernon, Crabtree, Morgan, Gore, Walker were here last season and the season before.

Bradford has the ideal OC last season. Shurmur kept tight controls on what he asked him to do and supported him even in the face of near fan revolts in the final 1/3 of the season. This coming year will be a big test for Sam. The Rams added 3 new receivers via the draft but the question will be; can he continue to progress under a new OC. I am no convinced McD is all that.
Originally posted by D_Niner:
Huh... When have I ever said he is fit to be a starting QB? I think you have me confused with someone else...

But, to answer you question, he's fit to start for someone like the Browns or Bangles or maybe even the Raiders; however, for my Niners, I'd like to see a better QB in the huddle...

My bad, On the initial quote of mine, I thought you were telling the other guy not to bother arguing with me, not vice versa. So every statement after that I thought you were baiting me on my sarcastic statement of sample size. Basically, I thought you were defending Alex Smith and talking to the other guy on my first post, when you were talking to me and not defending Alex Smith. Oops :(
Huh... When have I ever said he is fit to be a starting QB? I think you have me confused with someone else...

But, to answer you question, he's fit to start for someone like the Browns or Bangles or maybe even the Raiders; however, for my Niners, I'd like to see a better QB in the huddle...

My bad, On the initial quote of mine, I thought you were telling the other guy not to bother arguing with me, not vice versa. So every statement after that I thought you were baiting me on my sarcastic statement of sample size. Basically, I thought you were defending Alex Smith and talking to the other guy on my first post, when you were talking to me and not defending Alex Smith. Oops :(

No Problem. It happens on here all the time
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dj43:
Alex Smith - Finally a decent offensive support cast while healthy and with much improved weapons (and OL perhaps?) = best of bunch
Sam Bradford - decent yet exaggerated rookie year... he'll be pretty good as long as he stays healthy though.
Kevin Kolb - grotesquely overrated, and only Fitzgerald can make him look better than he is behind that terrible OL pass pro.
Tavaris Jackson - probably will get overthrown by Clipboard Jeebus soon. T.J. has the vision and happy feet of Troy Smith.

Sorry but Bradford > Smith Bradford had nobody to throw to yet his rookie campaign looked better than all but 1 of Alex's seasons. Not sure what finally decent offensive support means, as Braylon Edwards was the only offensive weapon to be added. Vernon, Crabtree, Morgan, Gore, Walker were here last season and the season before.

Bradford has the ideal OC last season. Shurmur kept tight controls on what he asked him to do and supported him even in the face of near fan revolts in the final 1/3 of the season. This coming year will be a big test for Sam. The Rams added 3 new receivers via the draft but the question will be; can he continue to progress under a new OC. I am no convinced McD is all that.

The main issue for Bradford is his ability to throw the ball down the field. If he can't (I saw no evidence that he can) he's going to struggle this season.

If he can, he's a legit franchise QB, IMO.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
See I can agree with all of that. Now statistical evaluation of his performance in the NFL indicates that it is not likely that he will become the QB that most of us want for our team. Where he has show improvement in areas you identified he has not grown at the rate of QBs drafted after him (same year or years since). He's by far not the worst QB to come out of college; but, he's also not one of the better ones.

Holding out hope that he will become that guy is fine and all; but, there comes a time when it's time to cut bait and re-cast your line to try and catch something real instead of hanging on hope. That's where I'm at...

Don't disagree with that except that I want the 9ers to develop multiple QBs and play the best guy. If it continues to be Smith, great! If it's CK--great! If it's a rookie to be named later...oh well, another learning process, but...great! Want to see super bowls, not just good teams.

And thats where we've failed the past 5 or so years IMO. If we had been developing a second QB the same time we were trying to get Alex up to speed we'd either have a more successfull Alex right now or he wouldn't be on our team and we'd have somebody better starting the season for us...

It's nice that we actually have somebody (Kap) being developed behind Alex now.

I agree with this completely.

They had the right O.C for a rookie last year, that being said their O.C was not aggressive, and that is why they lost to seattle in that game battling for that last playoff spot. They went into singletary mode and lost that game for themselves on offense.

Josh MCD and his like 70% passing offense, may (hopefully for us) cause bradford to regress or lose confidence, or it could make him look like the next peyton manning.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by unst4bl3:

I agree with this completely.

They had the right O.C for a rookie last year, that being said their O.C was not aggressive, and that is why they lost to seattle in that game battling for that last playoff spot. They went into singletary mode and lost that game for themselves on offense.

Josh MCD and his like 70% passing offense, may (hopefully for us) cause bradford to regress or lose confidence, or it could make him look like the next peyton manning.

McDaniels has never had a back like Jackson, so I'd expect to see the offense take advantage of it's strengths.
Originally posted by KRS-1:
McDaniels has never had a back like Jackson, so I'd expect to see the offense take advantage of it's strengths.

I guess he could be a little bit more balanced...
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by unst4bl3:

I guess he could be a little bit more balanced...

Young QB still developing, inexperienced group of WR's + Steven Jackson = a little more of a balanced attack, yeah.
Young QB still developing, inexperienced group of WR's + Steven Jackson = a little more of a balanced attack, yeah.

I was just wondering if MCD is capable of trying to be balanced, or will he be aggressive all day? I know the coach is pretty conservative, so maybe they ahve an agreement in place.

We have the best QB/RB/TE's.

I think it will be close.

Your opinion is duly noted, but still just an opinion. Bradford obviously had a far better rookie season, but at this point, Alex is still the better QB, IMHO.

You mean just like yours is?
  • BobS
  • Veteran
The best QB in the worst division in the NFL, that is quite an honor to bestow on someone.
Hahahahahahhaahahaha. That was funny bob. lol but Give me Sam..

If we had Sam last year we would have won 10 games last year. Kid made Chicker salad with chicked s**t.

try a pro bowl center for starters
Share 49ersWebzone