There are 182 users in the forums

Fitz over Willis for #1 nfc west player?

Shop 49ers game tickets
If Willis played in a 4-3 he would be recognized as the best player. JMO
Originally posted by fister30:
If Willis played in a 4-3 he would be recognized as the best player. JMO

Definitely agree. I hate seeing Willis having to take on 2nd level OL. He is still very good, but he would be so much better with the added freedom of a 4 man line up front. SF should have gone 4-3 long ago, and not just due to Willis.
Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:
Fitz is the best offensive player in the NFC west and Willis is the best defensive player.

Since, the MLB position is considered to be the equivalent of a QB on defense, I would

say Willis>Fitz

Erm, wut? Willis is not a vocal leader type of player, which is what I assume you are saying. He leads by example. So no. Oddly, neither position is fundamental IMO. Fitz? Willis? Who gives a? It is not a criticism of Willis so lets let it go.
Originally posted by English:
Fitz is the best offensive player in the NFC west and Willis is the best defensive player.

Since, the MLB position is considered to be the equivalent of a QB on defense, I would

say Willis>Fitz

Erm, wut? Willis is not a vocal leader type of player, which is what I assume you are saying. He leads by example. So no. Oddly, neither position is fundamental IMO. Fitz? Willis? Who gives a? It is not a criticism of Willis so lets let it go.

I think he was saying that Willis calls out the front 7 adjustments and audibles. I know Goldson had the green dot, but that was to call plays in the huddle and adjust the back end. Fitzgerald only adjusts his own route Bassein coverage and pressure. Willis is more responsible for the success of his teammates.
Anyone have the link for this? Does he state what his criteria is?

This is probably a pretty close call, as they are both insanely talented: Fitz's leaping/catching ability and size, Willis' freakish speed, etc. I do have to say though it was amazing how Fitzgerald was able to take over the game in the Super Bowl and almost win it single-handedly. WR is generally looked upon as a dependent position, hence why they rarely get consideration for MVP or Heisman awards, so being able to control the game that way is incredible.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:

say Willis>Fitz

I think he was saying that Willis calls out the front 7 adjustments and audibles. I know Goldson had the green dot, but that was to call plays in the huddle and adjust the back end. Fitzgerald only adjusts his own route Bassein coverage and pressure. Willis is more responsible for the success of his teammates.

They don't have a smiley that says "you're welcome," so...

You're welcome.
Originally posted by RekeHavoc:
Originally posted by 49ersrgolden:
Matt also had Justin smith at #3 and Vernon Davis at #4

I don't know if Justin Smith > VD. Justin Smith is great but I'd take VD over JSmith anyday.

Justin Smith is better at what he does that Vernon Davis is at what he does.

There isn't a more effective 3-4 defensive end in the NFL. Don't let statistics fool you, a 3-4 lineman's lower numbers are more misleading than any other position.

say Willis>Fitz

Whoever calls the plays on defense is the equivalent of a QB on offense, which means Goldson was out QB on defense if I'm not mistaken. It's more natural for a safety to call the plays because he sees how everyone is matching up. So, for the most part, one of the safeties is the defense's QB.
Originally posted by 80849er4life:
Offense will always get the credit over defense.....offense wins games, defense wins championships.....

That cliche is over-used and entirely untrue. Defense rarely puts any points up and therefor rarely wins anything (yes, I know the statement suggests they keep opponents' points off the board, but without a good offense you will also have no points either). If you don't have offense, you won't put up enough points to win. Period.

The fact of the matter is it's rare to win championships with just one of the two. There are exceptions, like the Ravens in 2000, but they're not common.

It usually takes a good offense with a good, franchise QB to win championships. Need proof? Name a team that has numerous championships without a franchise QB or with a bad offense. Then, take your number (which should be 0 - remember I said numerous championships) and compare to the number of Super Bowls there have been.
[ Edited by 49erRider on Jul 11, 2011 at 10:28 PM ]

Originally posted by foundone:
Originally posted by JBatta49erfansince81:
Fitz has done it longer and in more important games, IE playoffs and Superbowl. But to be honest if I was picking 1 player that is the best (most important to his team) I would pick RB S. Jackson from the Rams.

? pat had a better season then both fitz and sjackson! Call me crazy but I don't want any players from are division period they all can F*** themselves id rather lose then pay them from my season ticket $$.

All 3 of them had average seasons for elite players. Fitzgerald is the only one with an excuse, however. Who was his QB again?
Originally posted by nevadalove9ers2:
the most feared player in our division is frank gore. nobody in our division is game planned for more.

This is the truth - especially since nobody's team has ever made it easier for others to gameplan for than Gore's has. Everyone knows what he's gonna do, but he still gets it done.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:

say Willis>Fitz

Where did you read this? Or did you just make it up?

Even recently, I've been reading that Goldson made all the calls and adjustments, which is why other teams might take an interest in him even though he had a bad season last year.
This time next year, it'll be Bradford. book it. Dudes gonna be a nightmare for us for a very, very long time.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
This time next year, it'll be Bradford. book it. Dudes gonna be a nightmare for us for a very, very long time.

this post is a lie, Bradford is gonna be wack BOOK IT
Share 49ersWebzone