There are 269 users in the forums

football players=slaves??

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by pantstickle:
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Originally posted by BobS:

Very valid points. Slaves had a large part in the development of this country. Many risked and lost their lives fighting for their freedom and rights as many brave people of color have through the civil right's movements. The fact they are comparing themselves to slaves is disrespectful to what horrible things the slaves endured, and what they did to survive. Also they look at being a slave as something demeaning, anyone who endured slavery and survived and made something of themselves should be looked up to, not down upon. I honestly think they need to coach athletes on public speaking, too many of them say things that make them look a hell of a lot more ignorant than they really are. I think the NFL needs to do a lot more keeping these guys from doing foolish things with their mouths and their money.

lol. wow. i mean...oh, my. wow.

Oh my

indeed. its so ridiculous that the only response is to talk like a dandy.
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Originally posted by aclarke49:
Read this article - link posted on PFT - thought it was interesting.

To be an African American NFL player is to play in a league where 70% of the players are black and 100% of the owners are white. It’s a league where only 3 percent of head coaches were black until the famous (or infamous) lawyer Johnnie Cochran threatened a mass class-action lawsuit, saying he would “litigate if they do not integrate.” It’s a league where collegiate players hoping to be drafted show up to the NFL combine to be poked, prodded and have various body parts judged and measured. Teams basically do everything short of having someone run their finger along the players’ gums. If you are lucky enough to make the league, you will be blessed with a career that will, on average, last 3.4 years, and cursed with a life expectancy twenty-two years shorter than that of the typical American male. Your contract isn’t guaranteed, so if you do sustain some horrific injury, you are officially yesterday’s trash.

Link

“Learn to LISTEN before you pass judgment. Because speaking without knowledge of subject is truly ignorant,”
Rashard Mendenhall wrote.

The median salary in the NFL in 2009 was roughly $770,000. In 2008 it was about $720,000.

Signing bonuses vary from $100k to $20 million.

There are 1,696 total players in the NFL. According the US Census 1860 there were aprox. four million slaves. Who had no rights, no money, no fame, no security.

NFL players get paid this to play a game. Yes, it's dangerous but so are many other professions that receive far less compensation.

They, unlike slaves, have the choice to find another profession. They, unlike slaves can earn a small fortune. They, unlike slaves have rights that protect and help them. They, unlike slaves earn fame and notoriety in our society.

They, unlike slaves, have really very little value to the survival of our society. However, the argument can be made that our nation was built, at least in part, upon the labor or slaves.

They, unlike slaves, have the opportunity for a very bright future for them and their children. Slaves did not have the same opportunities.

To say that NFL players are like slaves, is like spitting in the face of all of those who did endure and still endure true slavery.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_average_salary_of_an_NFL_football_player#ixzz1GtNRmj8R

I don't agree with what AD said, just posted an article which defended him and I thought the article had an interested take on it. Of course, slavery is a huge exaggeration, but I get what AD is trying to say.

Also, AD used the word "modern day slavery" if I remember correctly. I don't think it's entirely fair to compare it to what slavery was in 1800. Still, it's a huge exaggeration, but that's a little unfair comparison.

Even guys who make minimum NFL salary still make 8 times the amount that an average American worker makes. 3 year career. That's a million bucks earned by the age of 25-26. That's a pretty good head start for the rest of their life.

Slavery - modern day slavery doesn't matter it's a retarded statement. The worse players in the NFL still should be living real well.

minimun wage=320k +120 =440k 50% goes to fed+calif taxes =220k..2500 a month housing,sharing W/another player=15k +10k union dues,down to 190k..plus expenses.. food,flts,transportation,ect.down to.. 175k a yr.. times 3yrs..does not make a million..oh and add agent fees 2-3% ..most walk away after 3 yrs with less than 250k if they are lucky..no,not slaves,but not rich either.

[ Edited by franklinfan on Mar 17, 2011 at 18:08:47 ]
Originally posted by franklinfan:

To be an African American NFL player is to play in a league where 70% of the players are black and 100% of the owners are white. It’s a league where only 3 percent of head coaches were black until the famous (or infamous) lawyer Johnnie Cochran threatened a mass class-action lawsuit, saying he would “litigate if they do not integrate.” It’s a league where collegiate players hoping to be drafted show up to the NFL combine to be poked, prodded and have various body parts judged and measured. Teams basically do everything short of having someone run their finger along the players’ gums. If you are lucky enough to make the league, you will be blessed with a career that will, on average, last 3.4 years, and cursed with a life expectancy twenty-two years shorter than that of the typical American male. Your contract isn’t guaranteed, so if you do sustain some horrific injury, you are officially yesterday’s trash.

Link

“Learn to LISTEN before you pass judgment. Because speaking without knowledge of subject is truly ignorant,”

The median salary in the NFL in 2009 was roughly $770,000. In 2008 it was about $720,000.

There are 1,696 total players in the NFL. According the US Census 1860 there were aprox. four million slaves. Who had no rights, no money, no fame, no security.

NFL players get paid this to play a game. Yes, it's dangerous but so are many other professions that receive far less compensation.

They, unlike slaves, have the choice to find another profession. They, unlike slaves can earn a small fortune. They, unlike slaves have rights that protect and help them. They, unlike slaves earn fame and notoriety in our society.

They, unlike slaves, have really very little value to the survival of our society. However, the argument can be made that our nation was built, at least in part, upon the labor or slaves.

They, unlike slaves, have the opportunity for a very bright future for them and their children. Slaves did not have the same opportunities.

To say that NFL players are like slaves, is like spitting in the face of all of those who did endure and still endure true slavery.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_average_salary_of_an_NFL_football_player#ixzz1GtNRmj8R

I don't agree with what AD said, just posted an article which defended him and I thought the article had an interested take on it. Of course, slavery is a huge exaggeration, but I get what AD is trying to say.

Also, AD used the word "modern day slavery" if I remember correctly. I don't think it's entirely fair to compare it to what slavery was in 1800. Still, it's a huge exaggeration, but that's a little unfair comparison.

Even guys who make minimum NFL salary still make 8 times the amount that an average American worker makes. 3 year career. That's a million bucks earned by the age of 25-26. That's a pretty good head start for the rest of their life.

Slavery - modern day slavery doesn't matter it's a retarded statement. The worse players in the NFL still should be living real well.

minimun wage=320k +120 =440k 50% goes to fed+calif taxes =220k..2500 a month housing,sharing W/another player=15k +10k union dues,down to 190k..plus expenses.. food,flts,transportation,ect.down to.. 175k a yr.. times 3yrs..does not make a million..oh and add agent fees 2-3% ..most walk away after 3 yrs with less than 250k if they are lucky..no,not slaves,but not rich either.

We all pay rent, food, and taxes. If I subtract all the costs out of the average american income it's not going to average at 40 grand either. Anyway you look at it the worse players in the NFL are still cashing it in over most of the population.

[ Edited by tjd808185 on Mar 17, 2011 at 18:34:55 ]

Link

We all pay rent, food, and taxes. If I subtract all the costs out of the average american income it's not going to average at 40 grand either. Anyway you look at it the worse players in the NFL are still cashing it in over most of the population.

But these guys dedicate their whole life to play in the NFL and have very few options once their career is over. That amount of money is peanuts for a career you worked your whole life for
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
Originally posted by blizzuntz:

Link

But these guys dedicate their whole life to play in the NFL and have very few options once their career is over. That amount of money is peanuts for a career you worked your whole life for

There are a couple big money makers missing from that list: endorsements and products.

Link

That really isn't the league's problem. Not everyone who makes a NFL roster is entitled to a lifetime's worth of money. Just like not every actor is going to make it in Hollywood and not every band signed to a record company is going to cash it in. These guys we're talking about aren't the guys making money for the league. I've never watched a game to see brilliant special teams action. Or to watch Jason Hill.

If they played their cards right they would have used that education pretty much all of them had the oppurtunity to get. Otherwise they're living life just like the average American without a career path.

Link

That really isn't the league's problem. Not everyone who makes a NFL roster is entitled to a lifetime's worth of money. Just like not every actor is going to make it in Hollywood and not every band signed to a record company is going to cash it in. These guys we're talking about aren't the guys making money for the league. I've never watched a game to see brilliant special teams action. Or to watch Jason Hill.

If they played their cards right they would have used that education pretty much all of them had the oppurtunity to get. Otherwise they're living life just like the average American without a career path.

No it's not their problem, but they deserve every penny they get and we can agree it isn't that much. And these players make up a big portion of the NFL.

Link

No it's not their problem, but they deserve every penny they get and we can agree it isn't that much. And these players make up a big portion of the NFL.

No we don't agree on that. For 3 years work it's very good money. They make 8x the average worker and by no standards is it chump change. Even after expenses they're still years ahead of most people 1-3 years out of college. Cry me a river that they have hold a different job the rest of their life.

As of right now players receive 60% of all revenue minus the 1st of 9 billion. I don't blame the union for wanting to keep that number to as close as possible. But that's a more than fair number, and this modern day slavery sh*t is as dumb as it gets. NFL players are well compensated and well represented. They don't do anything that's not collectively bargained over. Other than having to work for a white guy I see no comparision.

[ Edited by tjd808185 on Mar 18, 2011 at 03:59:54 ]
Originally posted by pantstickle:
Originally posted by BobS:

Very valid points. Slaves had a large part in the development of this country. Many risked and lost their lives fighting for their freedom and rights as many brave people of color have through the civil right's movements. The fact they are comparing themselves to slaves is disrespectful to what horrible things the slaves endured, and what they did to survive. Also they look at being a slave as something demeaning, anyone who endured slavery and survived and made something of themselves should be looked up to, not down upon. I honestly think they need to coach athletes on public speaking, too many of them say things that make them look a hell of a lot more ignorant than they really are. I think the NFL needs to do a lot more keeping these guys from doing foolish things with their mouths and their money.

lol. wow. i mean...oh, my. wow.

Oh my

indeed. its so ridiculous that the only response is to talk like a dandy.

I talk like a dandy anyway, but never with such enthusiasm!
call me Spartucus then..

Link

I agree but many of these guys also went to college for free because of the sport. If they didn't take advantage of that, and didn't get a degree then I say shame on them. I was a college athlete also, it's hard I know but life is hard and to have you education paid for to play a sport is not a bad deal.

Link

No we don't agree on that. For 3 years work it's very good money. They make 8x the average worker and by no standards is it chump change. Even after expenses they're still years ahead of most people 1-3 years out of college. Cry me a river that they have hold a different job the rest of their life.

As of right now players receive 60% of all revenue minus the 1st of 9 billion. I don't blame the union for wanting to keep that number to as close as possible. But that's a more than fair number, and this modern day slavery sh*t is as dumb as it gets. NFL players are well compensated and well represented. They don't do anything that's not collectively bargained over. Other than having to work for a white guy I see no comparision.

Agreed, and to be honest, if they took advantage of their college experience they will have something to fall back on. I'm sorry but if you are making over 100k you are not doing bad at all and with the league minimum these guys are at least doublin that.
I have a major issue with these statement. And I've called out posters on the Zone for the same thing.

We live in a world of sensation and hyperbole and have lost all perspective when it comes to real horrors that have happened in the world.

Any time something the least bit negative happens, we are so quick to throw out words like "slavery", "holocaust", "nazi", "genocide", "war", "dictator" and so forth.

To compare labor negotiations to slavery is asinine. The players have bosses. They may be unhappy with the current deal and they have the right to do what they are doing to fight for something better.

They also have the right to walk away and work for a different company. Whether that's playing football for a different league (like the CFL) or not playing football at all.

The worst scenario, even for someone who was a UDFA with only one year of playing time, is that they walk away having been paid hundreds of thousands of dollars for one year of work. Something most people would consider a life changing opportunity.

Making the case for that to compare in any way to slavery and the atrocities which accompanied it, insults all those who experienced that reality and all the repercussions from that era.

And yet, we continue compare trivial issues to the most horrific tragedies in human existence .

Dumb arguments over spelling result in the phrase "grammar nazi".

Presidents we don't like are call "fascists", or "Hitler".

We constantly compare sports to "war" and call athletes "soldiers".

And the minute anyone with authority offends someone under them, we become "slaves".

At some point, we need to regain our perspective.

By comparing far more trivial things to ideas and events which have such true significance we severely minimize the impact and memory of the actual events.

I would love to see someone who thinks the NFL is slavery or someone who thinks correcting grammar makes someone a nazi, spend just one day being beaten, raped and/or castrated by a slave owner, or one night in a concentration camp and then see how they feel about the comparison.

Link

Actually I think there is adequate opportunity after they finish in the NFL. I'm sure the NFL credential is enough to land them as a coach on any high school/middle school/college team in America. It's not like making money in the NFL but coaches are considered middle class earners in most communities in America. And there are many other options, most of these players got college degrees. That is allot more than most Americans have, and I will assume most of them did not have to pay for that college degree. Were most people who get degree's will start at 30-40k and owe 30-40k when they are out of college.

Second, nobody forced them to become football players. If they were worried about their career opportunities and lifelong earnings, they could have done what everybody else can do. Choose a different option! This is America were you get to decide your life, guaranteed the pursuit of your choice. But definitely not guaranteed success, not guaranteed a safety net.

They are paid ample and given much more than the avg American in the process. let my heart bleed for them another day. As for the owners, they put their work in to get there, they put there risks in, or maybe they were given there wealth. Life isn't fair and it shouldn't because lets be honesty, lets look over to the co-workers we are talking about, most people don't put in a fair share of collective effort.

Once again I've written more than anybody will read.
Originally posted by TexasNiner:
I have a major issue with these statement. And I've called out posters on the Zone for the same thing.

We live in a world of sensation and hyperbole and have lost all perspective when it comes to real horrors that have happened in the world.

Any time something the least bit negative happens, we are so quick to throw out words like "slavery", "holocaust", "nazi", "genocide", "war", "dictator" and so forth.

To compare labor negotiations to slavery is asinine. The players have bosses. They may be unhappy with the current deal and they have the right to do what they are doing to fight for something better.

They also have the right to walk away and work for a different company. Whether that's playing football for a different league (like the CFL) or not playing football at all.

The worst scenario, even for someone who was a UDFA with only one year of playing time, is that they walk away having been paid hundreds of thousands of dollars for one year of work. Something most people would consider a life changing opportunity.

Making the case for that to compare in any way to slavery and the atrocities which accompanied it, insults all those who experienced that reality and all the repercussions from that era.

And yet, we continue compare trivial issues to the most horrific tragedies in human existence .

Dumb arguments over spelling result in the phrase "grammar nazi".

Presidents we don't like are call "fascists", or "Hitler".

We constantly compare sports to "war" and call athletes "soldiers".

And the minute anyone with authority offends someone under them, we become "slaves".

At some point, we need to regain our perspective.

By comparing far more trivial things to ideas and events which have such true significance we severely minimize the impact and memory of the actual events.

I would love to see someone who thinks the NFL is slavery or someone who thinks correcting grammar makes someone a nazi, spend just one day being beaten, raped and/or castrated by a slave owner, or one night in a concentration camp and then see how they feel about the comparison.

Beautiful.

let me add to the last statement: one day of boot camp or one moment of combat were death is pumping in your heart. Were the moments are real and everything ceases to be thoughts, idea's, and imagination. Yet they become a tangible priviledge, truly out of your grasp of control, on the cusp of being taken away for eternity.
Share 49ersWebzone