There are 137 users in the forums

football players=slaves??

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
f**king mendenhall is now backing him up. These guys need to go back to school.
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Read this article - link posted on PFT - thought it was interesting.

To be an African American NFL player is to play in a league where 70% of the players are black and 100% of the owners are white. It’s a league where only 3 percent of head coaches were black until the famous (or infamous) lawyer Johnnie Cochran threatened a mass class-action lawsuit, saying he would “litigate if they do not integrate.” It’s a league where collegiate players hoping to be drafted show up to the NFL combine to be poked, prodded and have various body parts judged and measured. Teams basically do everything short of having someone run their finger along the players’ gums. If you are lucky enough to make the league, you will be blessed with a career that will, on average, last 3.4 years, and cursed with a life expectancy twenty-two years shorter than that of the typical American male. Your contract isn’t guaranteed, so if you do sustain some horrific injury, you are officially yesterday’s trash.

Link

“Learn to LISTEN before you pass judgment. Because speaking without knowledge of subject is truly ignorant,”
Rashard Mendenhall wrote.

The median salary in the NFL in 2009 was roughly $770,000. In 2008 it was about $720,000.

Signing bonuses vary from $100k to $20 million.

There are 1,696 total players in the NFL. According the US Census 1860 there were aprox. four million slaves. Who had no rights, no money, no fame, no security.

NFL players get paid this to play a game. Yes, it's dangerous but so are many other professions that receive far less compensation.

They, unlike slaves, have the choice to find another profession. They, unlike slaves can earn a small fortune. They, unlike slaves have rights that protect and help them. They, unlike slaves earn fame and notoriety in our society.

They, unlike slaves, have really very little value to the survival of our society. However, the argument can be made that our nation was built, at least in part, upon the labor or slaves.

They, unlike slaves, have the opportunity for a very bright future for them and their children. Slaves did not have the same opportunities.

To say that NFL players are like slaves, is like spitting in the face of all of those who did endure and still endure true slavery.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_average_salary_of_an_NFL_football_player#ixzz1GtNRmj8R
Originally posted by aclarke49:

To be an African American NFL player is to play in a league where 70% of the players are black and 100% of the owners are white. It’s a league where only 3 percent of head coaches were black until the famous (or infamous) lawyer Johnnie Cochran threatened a mass class-action lawsuit, saying he would “litigate if they do not integrate.” It’s a league where collegiate players hoping to be drafted show up to the NFL combine to be poked, prodded and have various body parts judged and measured. Teams basically do everything short of having someone run their finger along the players’ gums. If you are lucky enough to make the league, you will be blessed with a career that will, on average, last 3.4 years, and cursed with a life expectancy twenty-two years shorter than that of the typical American male. Your contract isn’t guaranteed, so if you do sustain some horrific injury, you are officially yesterday’s trash.

Link

“Learn to LISTEN before you pass judgment. Because speaking without knowledge of subject is truly ignorant,”

The median salary in the NFL in 2009 was roughly $770,000. In 2008 it was about $720,000.

There are 1,696 total players in the NFL. According the US Census 1860 there were aprox. four million slaves. Who had no rights, no money, no fame, no security.

NFL players get paid this to play a game. Yes, it's dangerous but so are many other professions that receive far less compensation.

They, unlike slaves, have the choice to find another profession. They, unlike slaves can earn a small fortune. They, unlike slaves have rights that protect and help them. They, unlike slaves earn fame and notoriety in our society.

They, unlike slaves, have really very little value to the survival of our society. However, the argument can be made that our nation was built, at least in part, upon the labor or slaves.

They, unlike slaves, have the opportunity for a very bright future for them and their children. Slaves did not have the same opportunities.

To say that NFL players are like slaves, is like spitting in the face of all of those who did endure and still endure true slavery.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_average_salary_of_an_NFL_football_player#ixzz1GtNRmj8R

Exactly what i was saying.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Millionare slaves.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran

Link

I don't agree with what AD said, just posted an article which defended him and I thought the article had an interested take on it. Of course, slavery is a huge exaggeration, but I get what AD is trying to say.

Also, AD used the word "modern day slavery" if I remember correctly. I don't think it's entirely fair to compare it to what slavery was in 1800. Still, it's a huge exaggeration, but that's a little unfair comparison.
Originally posted by pantstickle:
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
If you agree that they already get paid very well, then you must agree that they need to stop their b***hing and show up to "work".

That makes almost no sense.

Yes, they're paid well.

Yes, they have a right to use their ability to bargain for more money, if possible.

Yes, the owners have a right to lockout the players and use their powers to bargain.

Uh oh! I haven't picked a side and started demonizing! Oh noes!

But no they shouldn't be grateful for their already ridiculously-high wages and stop b***hing about wanting more money?

Irrelevant. I'm sure they're grateful, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't try to use their ability to make more money. If you had a chance to get a raise, you would, but you aren't a millionaire athlete, so nobody cares. It's not immoral to try to get more money.

If there's more money being made, it either goes to the owners, or the players. Why should the players not try to get more? Because they already make a lot? So do the owners. Should they then just burn the money, because it's excessive?

only athletes have to be grateful for their money. businessmen are allowed to always want more.

He's making me defend a union, and it makes me feel dirty.

come to the dark side, my friend. we live on government handouts and retire on cushy pensions and never, ever work. never.

I can't do it. Next, you'll want me to support disability and hippies.

What should they do? Try giving it back to the fans by making sure there is a football season EVERY YEAR.. how about putting some of that money in renewing old dirty a$$ stadiums.... how about not charging 15$ for a beer.... how about not fighting over 9 billion dollars that come from the people much much poorer than all of them, and putting the fans before their greed.
Slaves can't quit their jobs, stupid comment
  • BobS
  • Veteran

Link

Very valid points. Slaves had a large part in the development of this country. Many risked and lost their lives fighting for their freedom and rights as many brave people of color have through the civil right's movements. The fact they are comparing themselves to slaves is disrespectful to what horrible things the slaves endured, and what they did to survive. Also they look at being a slave as something demeaning, anyone who endured slavery and survived and made something of themselves should be looked up to, not down upon. I honestly think they need to coach athletes on public speaking, too many of them say things that make them look a hell of a lot more ignorant than they really are. I think the NFL needs to do a lot more keeping these guys from doing foolish things with their mouths and their money.
lolwut
Originally posted by BobS:

Very valid points. Slaves had a large part in the development of this country. Many risked and lost their lives fighting for their freedom and rights as many brave people of color have through the civil right's movements. The fact they are comparing themselves to slaves is disrespectful to what horrible things the slaves endured, and what they did to survive. Also they look at being a slave as something demeaning, anyone who endured slavery and survived and made something of themselves should be looked up to, not down upon. I honestly think they need to coach athletes on public speaking, too many of them say things that make them look a hell of a lot more ignorant than they really are. I think the NFL needs to do a lot more keeping these guys from doing foolish things with their mouths and their money.

lol. wow. i mean...oh, my. wow.

Link

I don't agree with what AD said, just posted an article which defended him and I thought the article had an interested take on it. Of course, slavery is a huge exaggeration, but I get what AD is trying to say.

Also, AD used the word "modern day slavery" if I remember correctly. I don't think it's entirely fair to compare it to what slavery was in 1800. Still, it's a huge exaggeration, but that's a little unfair comparison.

I hear ya. But true slavery does exist today in many places of the world. I'm pretty sure their experiences are nothing like that of NFL players.

Link

Even guys who make minimum NFL salary still make 8 times the amount that an average American worker makes. 3 year career. That's a million bucks earned by the age of 25-26. That's a pretty good head start for the rest of their life.

Slavery - modern day slavery doesn't matter it's a retarded statement. The worse players in the NFL still should be living real well.

Link

"I hate it when they tell us how far we came to be
as if our peoples history started with slavery" -Look it up :)

Granted my brothers are no longer in shackles (jump for joy!), but there are still parallels from racism then till now. Im not a fan of those playing the race card "I'm oppressed cause im black" blah blah blah. That being said, it is ridiculous for one to believe racism is an afterthought just because of civil/social/political advancements (ie voting etc...).

We still got a long way to go, and one can't be content, just because we are "significantly" better than 40+ years ago.
Originally posted by SolRebe1:

Link

"I hate it when they tell us how far we came to be
as if our peoples history started with slavery" -Look it up :)

Granted my brothers are no longer in shackles (jump for joy!), but there are still parallels from racism then till now. Im not a fan of those playing the race card "I'm oppressed cause im black" blah blah blah. That being said, it is ridiculous for one to believe racism is an afterthought just because of civil/social/political advancements (ie voting etc...).

We still got a long way to go, and one can't be content, just because we are "significantly" better than 40+ years ago.

This has nothing to do with racism. There's definetily racism in sports, but it's not reflected in these contract negotiations. These NFL players are well compensated and well represented. There is absolutely no parallel to AD's comments and the civil right's movement.
Originally posted by BobS:

lol. wow. i mean...oh, my. wow.

Oh my
Share 49ersWebzone