LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 297 users in the forums

Who is most at fault for this CBA mess?

Shop 49ers game tickets

Who is most at fault for this CBA mess?

• fryet
  • Veteran
Originally posted by boomer49er:

The players can only get paid what the owners are willing to pay them. If the owners are so concerned about how hight he saleries are getting they should reign in the owners out there who are paying record breaking contracts to overrated players. If Dan Snyder is going to pay every FA that come sup $100 million why is it the players fault?

This isn't true. The CBA requires a minimum amount paid by each of the teams towards player salaries. In addition, one rich team saving money won't help the poor team that is trying to stay competitive an build a new stadium. In order to carve out money for future stadiums, the CBA had to be changed, which the players refused to allow.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Saying players get 59% of the total revenue is silly. They don't. How could the players get 59% of everything when no one even knows how much the owners make?
Originally posted by Snider8706:
demaurice smith and his stupid ass face.

Seriously though. Does he even have top teeth? Cuz I've never seen them.

But I also think he's trying to be like "the hero" and make his name known to everyone by being so stubborn and making a statement.

But at the end of the day, it's both of their faults. Give me a f**king break. 1 billion dollars? Who's money is that? Sponsors? Yes. But most importantly a chunk of it is ours. It's insulting for the fans.
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Saying players get 59% of the total revenue is silly. They don't. How could the players get 59% of everything when no one even knows how much the owners make?

they do get 59 of all shared revenue............ that stuff is reporter per the CBA, And, really it doesn;t matter because the owners own the team and the players are just employees,

name another industry where employees get 59 percent of total revenue..... None

The owners signed a bad deal and opted out of it as per their legal right to fix what tagliboob messed up.

Its not like they are not offering a fair compensation.

I'm siding with the owners almost regardless of what the NFLPA proposal looks like. I despise unions...of any type. I despise the notion and mentality that the employees DEMAND certain benefits, pay scale, etc. from the business owners...

NO ONE is making you play football. If you don't like the pay, go work somewhere else. If you don't like the injury risk, go work somewhere else. If you don't like the shortened career with book deals, sports broadcasting and other PR opportunities for life after you retire, go work somewhere else. If you don't like a $500,000/year minimum, go work somewhere else. If you think the owners are making too big a piece of the pie, go work somewhere else.

The owners are the ones taking all the risk. Admittedly, football is a safe bet and they are making money. Kudos to them. I am not jealous of the owners making bank. These prima donna players that aren't happy with multi-million dollar deals and get upset that the owners are making too much off them infuriate me.

Shut down the league for all I care. Show those owners you mean business!! Guess what pal...you're out of a job.

Most os us work for companies and do things for our owners that make them money. They compensate you for it. If you don't like it and feel that the scales are infavorably tilted toward them, leave. THEY risk everything getting that business up and running and, if it failed, where would everyone be then? Would they come give some of their salary back to help keep the business afloat or would they still demand their salary. We all see the success and then want to stand around and complain that the business is making too much off us. But no one talks about the thousands of businesses that have failed and the total loss their owners suffered.

Guess what, you take risks and you get paid if it works out. That's America baby.

Screw the players

[ Edited by LundyLove on Mar 12, 2011 at 15:16:10 ]
How can anyone side with the owners?

The owners want the players to take a pay cut when the NFL revenues are the same or higher since the last CBA from what I heard.

I hear the real problem is the owners don't want to open the books bc the $$$ making owners don't want the small market team owners to see what they are really making.
The Mongolians
Speculation.
Interesting side note to this mess! DeMaurice Smith is a lawyer and not a labor negotiator. Guess who he worked for according to PFT. Judge Doty as a Law Clerk! The same Judge Doty that has consistantly ruled in the Players favor every time it comes before him in court! Something is rotten in Denmark me thinks! That's why I think the players never where intent on settling out of court? I still blame both equally and firmly believe that this will wind up before the U.S. Supreme Court down the road?
  • BobS
  • Veteran
I have to side with the owners. In any other business would an employee ask to see the books? The NFL has high and low cap salary cap numbers. In what other business is an owner forced to share a set amount of the profits with the employees? There appears to be excessive greed on both sides. I also find it appalling that neither side is concerned about setting up a fund to take care of the aged veterans that built this sport we all love, and played before the huge salaries. A few players and ex players have taken up the cause, but there isn't enough done in this area. To see great players from the 50's, 60's and 70's dying broke and disabled really bums me out. Back in those days a lot of players even had summer jobs, and the beating their body took from the NFL didn't allow them a normal life after retirement.
The Cartels

Originally posted by blizzuntz:

The owners want the players to take a pay cut when the NFL revenues are the same or higher since the last CBA from what I heard.

I hear the real problem is the owners don't want to open the books bc the $$$ making owners don't want the small market team owners to see what they are really making.

This!!!!!
Originally posted by LundyLove:
As I see things so far I tend to side with the billionaires over the millionaires just due to a couple of reasons

1. The Owners ( however they hide their money) have the right to spend their hard earned or inherited money the way they see fit..I would do the same thing in their shoes..if I had a team and could save 250 mill by giving money to a niece to watch the yardage markers every week I would and you would too..the players have no right to demand 10 years of "opening the books"..the IRS can't even demand that...they can only go back 7..why the hell would the NFLPA?

2. The Owners took it in the shorts under Paul Tagliboob when they signed off on the last threat of work stoppage and the players got the better deal..they had the right to opt out of the deal and they did first chance they got...they should get the oppurtunity to make back that money..it wasn't about stadium funds drying up that caused this threat, it was the idea that they didn't want this to happen in 2006 and we got 4 years of good football revenue..the players got more in that time frame than any other ..so did the rest of the country..now we are in a recession and most Physicians I know are making far less today than 2006 in terms of money in terms of billing and accounts recievable.......why should the NFL NFLPA be any different?

3. It's not a right to work in the NFL..it's a privilige to be able to make that kind of money in a short term setting..no other industry is the standard of money so high in such a short life span..they do " After all, they're just out there taking tons of abuse on their bodies for your enjoyment", but that's a choice they make as far as taking the risks..no one is asking them to do it..why demand more? So they can have it? Not one player is coming on and saying that this is for the guys that played for peanuts back in the day and are giving them a generous portion of their salaries..the Owners are making that possible..and some owners were not even owners during those players heyday but are ok with paying some of their pensions, I don't hear the players saying anything but we want to keep what's we won..

Long and short is every time I see Demaurice Smith on a podium in his anger, I see a moron trying to keep control of something that's not his...the spokesman for the NFLPA is articulate and proffessional and Smith sounds like a idiot..

1. Do you really believe that NFL belongs to them? They own a franchise of the NFL and do business on NFL regulations. You don't think the NFL, players, not to mention fans should have a say?
2. If Tagliabue made a bad contract, are you saying the owners aren't responsible for the CBA they signed?
3. Everything you say it #3 can be applied to the owners. Isn't the players' privilege earned as much as the owners' privilege?
Originally posted by BobS:
I have to side with the owners. In any other business would an employee ask to see the books? The NFL has high and low cap salary cap numbers. In what other business is an owner forced to share a set amount of the profits with the employees? There appears to be excessive greed on both sides. I also find it appalling that neither side is concerned about setting up a fund to take care of the aged veterans that built this sport we all love, and played before the huge salaries. A few players and ex players have taken up the cause, but there isn't enough done in this area. To see great players from the 50's, 60's and 70's dying broke and disabled really bums me out. Back in those days a lot of players even had summer jobs, and the beating their body took from the NFL didn't allow them a normal life after retirement.

In what business does the boss try to take away $1 billion from employees?
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Originally posted by LundyLove:
As I see things so far I tend to side with the billionaires over the millionaires just due to a couple of reasons

1. The Owners ( however they hide their money) have the right to spend their hard earned or inherited money the way they see fit..I would do the same thing in their shoes..if I had a team and could save 250 mill by giving money to a niece to watch the yardage markers every week I would and you would too..the players have no right to demand 10 years of "opening the books"..the IRS can't even demand that...they can only go back 7..why the hell would the NFLPA?

2. The Owners took it in the shorts under Paul Tagliboob when they signed off on the last threat of work stoppage and the players got the better deal..they had the right to opt out of the deal and they did first chance they got...they should get the oppurtunity to make back that money..it wasn't about stadium funds drying up that caused this threat, it was the idea that they didn't want this to happen in 2006 and we got 4 years of good football revenue..the players got more in that time frame than any other ..so did the rest of the country..now we are in a recession and most Physicians I know are making far less today than 2006 in terms of money in terms of billing and accounts recievable.......why should the NFL NFLPA be any different?

3. It's not a right to work in the NFL..it's a privilige to be able to make that kind of money in a short term setting..no other industry is the standard of money so high in such a short life span..they do " After all, they're just out there taking tons of abuse on their bodies for your enjoyment", but that's a choice they make as far as taking the risks..no one is asking them to do it..why demand more? So they can have it? Not one player is coming on and saying that this is for the guys that played for peanuts back in the day and are giving them a generous portion of their salaries..the Owners are making that possible..and some owners were not even owners during those players heyday but are ok with paying some of their pensions, I don't hear the players saying anything but we want to keep what's we won..

Long and short is every time I see Demaurice Smith on a podium in his anger, I see a moron trying to keep control of something that's not his...the spokesman for the NFLPA is articulate and proffessional and Smith sounds like a idiot..

1. Do you really believe that NFL belongs to them? They own a franchise of the NFL and do business on NFL regulations. You don't think the NFL, players, not to mention fans should have a say?
2. If Tagliabue made a bad contract, are you saying the owners aren't responsible for the CBA they signed?
3. Everything you say it #3 can be applied to the owners. Isn't the players' privilege earned as much as the owners' privilege?

Did they or did they not spend their own money (probably a billion dollars) to buy a franchise.....

The players do not spend anything to make their money.

[ Edited by LundyLove on Mar 12, 2011 at 17:57:34 ]
Originally posted by TheChozen:
Originally posted by blizzuntz:

This!!!!!

it seems so simple, but for some reason is so hard for some people to grasp.
Share 49ersWebzone