There are 200 users in the forums

Who is the best fit for our Niners at QB?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by bigmike55:
Anyone but Alexi Smith.

Trent Edwards?
Anyone but Alexi Smith.

Alexi Smith... I'd watch that.
I don't understand why so many people are drooling over Kevin Kolb? Last year Kolb managed slightly worse numbers than Palmer or even Alex while playing for an offensive genius. If Alex Smith had better numbers than you while playing for Lenny from Of Mice and Men, I don't want you quarterbacking the 49ers.
Palmer for 2-3 years then Christian Ponder
I really dont understand why everyone is so against McNabb. Before last season, he was in the upper echelon of QBs.

And last season he was learning a new system, had a bad offensive line, had subpar weapons......is any of this sounding familiar? Or do other players not get to use those excuses too?
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
I really dont understand why everyone is so against McNabb. Before last season, he was in the upper echelon of QBs.

And last season he was learning a new system, had a bad offensive line, had subpar weapons......is any of this sounding familiar? Or do other players not get to use those excuses too?

There is something called "age". Obviously the Eagles saw its effects on McNabb before the season, and were happy they got a second round out of the trade. At the time everyone (including I who have been skeptical of McNabb's health) thought that the Eagles management was crazy. In the end, it was Mike Shanahan who realized he'd been had. McNabb was still a savvy QB, but his physical fitness wasn't there, especially for a team that needed the $10+ million QB to make up for the lack of talents.
Originally posted by detroitniner:
We've all heard the names - Kolb, McNabb, Palmer, Alex Smith, Vince Young - but who honestly gives the Niners the best shot at winning the division and making a playoff run.

They all have potential. Why? Because of Jim Harbaugh. He's an old NFL QB with direct ties to improving the play of the position. He was a good hire but the front office let him pick the 'groceries' as Bill Parcells put it.

I find the possibilty of Harbaugh turning Smith into a legit starter in this league intriguing. It saves money, picks, and they team already knows him. It would be best if Baalke listens to the captains in the locker room to see if they truly willing to give Smith another shot.

Kolb is another intriguing choice because of his age and familiarity with the West Coast system. I would take him before McNabb on age alone. He has the potential to be a franchise QB. He has looked good before.

McNabb - NO! His time as an elite QB is over. The Niners need more than a caretaker at QB.

Palmer would need time to learn the offense. With a potential lockout looming, he would have to learn on the fly. In the NFC WEST, that might not seem like much but the possibilty of the Rams' Bradford working with McDaniels scares me. The kid is good and McDaniels will make him much better.

If it didn't cost me much, I would take Kolb. If Harbaugh could coach up Smith and if the locker room wants him back, I would go with Smith and find a potential replacement in the draft.

What would you guys do?

A skunk cant change his smell and a zebra can't change his stripes, thus Alex Smith will never be an good quaterback!
Originally posted by DertyDonahue:
Anyone but Alexi Smith.

Trent Edwards?

Trent Reznor?
Originally posted by bigginz54:
trade 2nd round pick for Kolb( I dont think eagles would give up less then that) and draft ricky stanzi in 4th round

Kolbe will be a restricted FA next season, Philly will tender him and get a 3rd for him, or more likely Philly will trade him for a 5th this season and a 3rd next. I think that will be Kolbes price, a 3rd and 5th, spread over two seasons. They will want the 3rd this year and settle for it next.

I might look at Josh Jonson, fromTampa, for 4th or a 5th.

Carson Palmer would be great, but he will cost two picks maybe a 2nd, and 6th? maybe a 3rd and 6th. and we have any picks left next year can trade down and get Andrew Luck next season.
RUMOR: QB Alex Smith "Probably" resigning with Niners before cba expires

Not my rumor.

Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
RUMOR: QB Alex Smith "Probably" resigning with Niners before cba expires

Not my rumor.

That's my take!

Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
CBA expires at 11:59, look for Alex Smith to sign a one year deal at 11:58, when he realizes with no offseason, he stands little to no chance of starting anywhere but here next season. At that precise moment the Niners will realize that they will net have a Starting QB next season unless they sign Alex.

Alex in a normal offseason might and I emphasis the word might, command decent money and a look at starting somewhere next season, but this is not a normal offseason, so Alex will be lucky to get signed at all. If Alex signs late say CBA gets done in October, and we see a shortened season or a season started by replacement players. Alex stands no chance at landing as a starter anywhere.

With no offseason to pick up a new playbook Alex will struggle as he has here. Alex as smart as he is seems to need a little extra time to learn the playbook. His best chance is the sign here for a season, get the playbook and workout with his teammates independently this offseason.

11:58 look for it.
Impossible to even guess "sense" we have no clue what the offense will even look like.

/Thread!
[ Edited by CoachingMatters on Mar 3, 2011 at 3:48 PM ]
Originally posted by detroitniner:
Smith has not done well but I think Harbaugh maybe on to something.

Yeah, Harbaugh is on to something, alright. He's on to the fact that he probably won't have many options at QB due to the CBA situation ruining everything and Smith, while not good, is looking like the best option because he has no others available except David Carr!
Alex Smith will be on the Niners next year. Harbaugh likes him and it may be a marriage of conveinence. But it WILL make Smith BETTER!!!
mods must unlock "It"

Share 49ersWebzone