LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 261 users in the forums

Who is the best fit for our Niners at QB?

Shop 49ers game tickets
We've all heard the names - Kolb, McNabb, Palmer, Alex Smith, Vince Young - but who honestly gives the Niners the best shot at winning the division and making a playoff run.

They all have potential. Why? Because of Jim Harbaugh. He's an old NFL QB with direct ties to improving the play of the position. He was a good hire but the front office let him pick the 'groceries' as Bill Parcells put it.

I find the possibilty of Harbaugh turning Smith into a legit starter in this league intriguing. It saves money, picks, and they team already knows him. It would be best if Baalke listens to the captains in the locker room to see if they truly willing to give Smith another shot.

Kolb is another intriguing choice because of his age and familiarity with the West Coast system. I would take him before McNabb on age alone. He has the potential to be a franchise QB. He has looked good before.

McNabb - NO! His time as an elite QB is over. The Niners need more than a caretaker at QB.

Palmer would need time to learn the offense. With a potential lockout looming, he would have to learn on the fly. In the NFC WEST, that might not seem like much but the possibilty of the Rams' Bradford working with McDaniels scares me. The kid is good and McDaniels will make him much better.

If it didn't cost me much, I would take Kolb. If Harbaugh could coach up Smith and if the locker room wants him back, I would go with Smith and find a potential replacement in the draft.

What would you guys do?
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
I'll take my chances with a rookie then any of these losers.
I would be fine with Kolb,McNabb,or Palmer... Anyone but number 11 and I be happy.. That's all I will say on this matter. lol
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
I'd go with Palmer hands down..

McNabb's done..

Kolb, i really have no idea what's all the hoopla on this guy.. what's he done?? the game against the 9ers, 2 years ago?? please...

Palmer savyness and leadership will instantly make as a contender.. if this guy is ever up for trade, and he ends up at Washington or Seattle, then it's over for us again..
Palmer would need time to learn the offense. With a potential lockout looming, he would have to learn on the fly.

Any Qb that we get will need time to learn the offense. It's Harbaugh's offense so it doesn't matter who the Qb is. So then we just need someone smart that doesn't make mistakes. Palmer would be exciting. he is at least pro bowl material. Mcnabb only had 1 bad year and it was under a new system. He still won just as many games as the niners did. he can bounce back.
I agree with Kolb. too pricey for such a small resume.
Smith might have a connection with our players but that did him no good under all of our coordinators/systems. don't understand how his experience helps us. is he going to say hey vernon run the route that leaves you wide open in the endzone. oh and p.s. Vernon i won't be able to hit you...
to say hey vernon run the route that leaves you wide open in the endzone. oh and p.s. Vernon i won't be able to hit you...
That was too funny, dude.

Smith has not done well but I think Harbaugh maybe on to something. Smith has had terrible coaching except under McCarthy and Turner - 1 season a piece.

I said Palmer would need time because he's never ran the West Coast. All of the other QB's have.
[ Edited by detroitniner on Mar 2, 2011 at 4:17 PM ]
i agree with palmer and the west coast learning on the go.
[ Edited by jacklegniner on Mar 2, 2011 at 5:15 PM ]
Originally posted by fakers23:
I would be fine with Kolb,McNabb,or Palmer... Anyone but number 11 and I be happy.. That's all I will say on this matter. lol

This except McNabb makes me nervous after his 2010 campaign.
whoever Harbaugh decides on...yes, even if its AS. he's smarter than u. even if he's just talking him up so other teams show interest, or even if its just because of the CBA bs. idc, he's the expert, i'm not gonna pretend that i know anything he doesnt.
Derek Anderson.

Originally posted by jones49:
Originally posted by fakers23:

This except McNabb makes me nervous after his 2010 campaign.

It was one bad year... "Bites his tongue" I would agree with you if he has a pattern of bad years,but I believe McNabb on the right team can be decent for a year and that's all the 49ers are asking for..
Originally posted by jacklegniner:
Originally posted by detroitniner:
to say hey vernon run the route that leaves you wide open in the endzone. oh and p.s. Vernon i won't be able to hit you...

That was too funny, dude.

Smith has not done well but I think Harbaugh maybe on to something. Smith has had terrible coaching except under McCarthy and Turner - 1 season a piece.

I said Palmer would need time because he's never ran the West Coast. All of the other QB's have.

i get the palmer thing and i agree. i feel like on paper smith looks like a smart move but why? even if harbaugh helps him, how long does it take? how good can he become? i don't think the end result with alex is very promising. i have said this a hundred times and i have never gotten a response on the webzone: does alex even have 1 game were he beat a playoff caliber team. he has tons of pretty close in the 4th quarter games but you would think with how smart he is, how accurate, how he can make all the throws, how we have drafted an entire offense for him; you would think after all that he would be able to win 1 meaningful game. all the other potential Qb's we talk about at least have 1 game if not plenty to show on their resume.

in the end, i still say Palmer. he's been to 2 probowls with a crappy organization. he likes the area so he can be happy about playing the game again.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by susweel:

There is no one answer to this question. The 9ers need to bring in at least three QBs, one a rookie, to have the best shot at improving. Putting all your eggs in Palmer? Kolb? Smith? Really?

I hope they are able to entice Smith to stay and bring in Palmer or Johnson. With two legit competitors and a rookie learning from them the team might be somewhat secure at the position. Injuries are so common in the NFL that a team with only one decent QB is in trouble. This goes for all the positions but QB most of all.
Share 49ersWebzone