LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 261 users in the forums

Stephen Ross advised Harbaugh to stay at Stanford

Shop 49ers game tickets
We all know about the whole Ross/Harbaugh meeting that took place a few days ago. Well, I was reading an espn article about the whole thing, enjoying seeing dysfunction attached to another team for a change. As I was reading the article this caught my eye.

Instead of offering Harbaugh a job, Ross said, he gave advice.

"Harbaugh wanted to go to the NFL, but he wasn't exactly sure. He asked me, 'What should I do?' I recommended, 'Go back to Stanford and hitch yourself to the quarterback. You've got the best quarterback. You can win the national championship. The pros will be there.' "

Thank god Jim is our coach and he didn't take that advise. Jed and Trent both look great because of this move. Hopefully all our bad mojo is passed to Ross and the Dolphins with their error in judgement. This was kind of old news I now and irrelevent at this point, but I still thought it was interesting.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6002260
If this post belonged in NFL Talk can the mods please move it? If not nevermind.
  • vaden
  • Veteran
lol, Ross sure is desperate to save face and avoid punishment for potentially violating the Rooney Rule. Yeah, right, he flew across the country to give Harbaugh "advice" and had no interest in hiring him.
That is absolute BS. Ross says he flew cross country with the Dolphins executives to big advice?
He thinks that no one has heard of a phone. On a side note, hopefully this just makes Harbaugh feel more assured that he made the right decision.

[ Edited by YOUNGster08 on Jan 9, 2011 at 03:39:46 ]
  • mod
  • Veteran
He flew across the country, he fired his current coach and then when Harbaugh signed up with us he rehired Sparano. This sounds like a pathetic attempt by Ross to save his reputation.
Originally posted by modninerfan:
He flew across the country, he fired his current coach and then when Harbaugh signed up with us he rehired Sparano. This sounds like a pathetic attempt by Ross to save his reputation.

lol, good luck! I am willing to bet that the Dolphins reputation is pretty bad amongst coaches and NFL insiders right now and probably will be for while.
F**K Steve Ross
perhaps the niners dont have the worst FO in the NFL.. it looks to me like Miami is in the running for that title now lol
F*** the Dolphins!
LOL like anyone would believe this. Ross is a f**kin idiot. feel bad for dolphins fans

• mayo49
  • Veteran
He wants to continue what his mentor Walsh created.

[ Edited by mayo49 on Jan 9, 2011 at 05:11:58 ]
Not only is this unbelievable, having seen the media misinformation during the whole process makes me take this with a grain of salt.
If you believe that then I got bridge to sell you. They showed him on Espn saying that at no time did he offer coach Gruden or Cowher the HC job. Which he could deny if either of the two calls his BS by saying Ireland his GM may haved talked to to them, but he did not. Also he didn't mention if he offered Harbaugh a job, maybe because he knew that if interviewed, Harbaugh would call his bluff and everyone would say that why'd you fly several thousand miles with your GM and consultant Peterson.

BTW Sparano was never fired. He also never followed the Rooney rule. I believe this played a big part in Harbaugh's decesion, if Harbaugh is as smart everyone says he is. He knew the niners targeted him from the get go and knew that he was the third choice of the phins and if the phins are going to treat their current coach that way, especially when Ireland and Sparano was a package deal when he was hired, how were they going to treat Harbaugh. Also, because of Nolan and Sing was given more than a fair chance to prove themselves when many believe they should have let go sooner, Harbaugh knows he will get a fair chance to prove himself.
Originally posted by modninerfan:

Hey Stevie, I could use some advice. Just pop over to Heathrow, will you?

I remember when the Dolphins, under Shula, were a quality organisation. I find it difficult to be sure of exactly what happened this week, but I have to say that I think they have set a new low in the NFL. I cant even see Dallas or Washington acting this way.

And yes. This is surely facesaving. When a man has an ego that size, the public perception of him becomes of huge importance to him.
  • GORO
  • Veteran
Originally posted by boriken_9er:
That is absolute BS. Ross says he flew cross country with the Dolphins executives to big advice?

They tried to lure Harbaugh but he told them he wanted to be the coach of the 49ers. So the Dolphins had to make up for treating Sporano with such disrespect and for not even respecting the rooney rule. It is obvious that they are trying lie out of this when it would be easier to tell the truth and it would go away, by lying they have to tell many more lies to cover the first one.
Share 49ersWebzone