LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 416 users in the forums

The **OFFICIAL** Cam Newton Bandwagon!

Shop 49ers game tickets
LOL AB, you didnt even have him in your top 10 qb's on your website!
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
He had another 400 total yardage game...370 passing + 35 on the ground and 3 total TDs.

If this continues for another 4 weeks, he will have to be in the MVP talk by then. These are absurd numbers.
Originally posted by Baugh_Area:
VY and Steve McNair are good comps for him. Props, but you gotta give Cam a lot of credit for learning a system for the first time last spring and going on to win the Heisman and have the best passer efficiency rating in the country! That's impressive s**t! .......but the physically imposing thing Cam has going isn't to say he's gonna run through everyone every play. It's more of a confidence issue, where I don't think he'll be playing scared. He'll come in from day one and compete to the best of his ability and won't be held back like most rookies who are like " Holy s**t!! Those are some big, fast mothaf**kas!!!"

[ Edited by SourdoughDan on Jan 4, 2011 at 22:31:25 ]

[ Edited by Baugh_Area on Oct 7, 2011 at 3:03 PM ]
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
He had another 400 total yardage game...370 passing + 35 on the ground and 3 total TDs.

If this continues for another 4 weeks, he will have to be in the MVP talk by then. These are absurd numbers.

He is also on pace to break Marinos 5000 yd season record. Hes definately gonna be rookie of the year and help Steve Smith set career highs.
Originally posted by H41L5ATAN:
No thanks. Please I know Niner fans are starving for a franchise QB but drafting Newton would be FAR worse then Alex Smith. Dont give me s**t about his "potential" and his physical attributes because thats not what the QB position demands. I mean really... does anyone really think he will ever be a top 5...no....top 10 QB?!

This is how petty I am, I have to revive this thread to laugh at the craziness that was being posted about Cam. So much fail I don't even know where to begin.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by H41L5ATAN:
No thanks. Please I know Niner fans are starving for a franchise QB but drafting Newton would be FAR worse then Alex Smith. Dont give me s**t about his "potential" and his physical attributes because thats not what the QB position demands. I mean really... does anyone really think he will ever be a top 5...no....top 10 QB?!

This is how petty I am, I have to revive this thread to laugh at the craziness that was being posted about Cam. So much fail I don't even know where to begin.

lol. I was not on the Cam Newton Bandwagon before he was drafted. I'm still not getting on it. He definately proved me wrong with the performance he had. My gripe is I prefer a stay in the pocket, efficient, move the chains QB. Cam is a gun slinger with crazy athletic talent. But how many of those throws turned into big completions becuase of what Steve Smith did? There were a number of poorly thrown balls thrown into coverage that Steve Smith made the play on. He did have some OUTSTANDING games (@Ariz, vs Wash, vs Minny, @ Indy, @TB, @ Hou, TB). A lot of those teams are just plain lousy. And as testament to his gun slinger mentality, I was wise enough to grab Steve Smith in my fantasy football drafts last year

Personally I would have taken AJ Green with the 1st pick because I've been saying since his FROSH year he is the closest thing to the next Randy Moss I've seen. And I thought grabbing Dalton in the 2nd was the best move for a QB. Cincinatti happened to do both which is why I loved their draft.

And one ENDLESS debate I've had with one of my good buddy's is that no matter how great a QB is, you have to surround them with talent. The Bengals gave Dalton AJ Green and drafted Mohamed Sanu (great possession compliment to Green) and Marvin Jones ( a sleeper WR).

Cincinatti as also been building up a good O-Line (and took Zietler in last years draft which I think is a great pick). The only thing missing from Cincinattie is a RB as they have 2 old 3yards and dust backs.

I don't see the same bright future for Carolina, I still see Carolina as a team in major rebuild mode with a need to get some talent.

Edit: I think it was Cosell that said Steve Smith was a top 5 WR lsat year, and its hard to argue with that. Steve Smith made some amazing plays that I think helped make Cam look good.
[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on Jul 25, 2012 at 10:22 AM ]
BUST!!!!!!
Originally posted by NinerSquire:
BUST!!!!!!

Not sure if serious
Trying to remember who the head coach for the Panthers is...
I hope he breaks his leg.

• 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
lol. I was not on the Cam Newton Bandwagon before he was drafted. I'm still not getting on it. He definately proved me wrong with the performance he had. My gripe is I prefer a stay in the pocket, efficient, move the chains QB. Cam is a gun slinger with crazy athletic talent. But how many of those throws turned into big completions becuase of what Steve Smith did? There were a number of poorly thrown balls thrown into coverage that Steve Smith made the play on. He did have some OUTSTANDING games (@Ariz, vs Wash, vs Minny, @ Indy, @TB, @ Hou, TB). A lot of those teams are just plain lousy. And as testament to his gun slinger mentality, I was wise enough to grab Steve Smith in my fantasy football drafts last year

Personally I would have taken AJ Green with the 1st pick because I've been saying since his FROSH year he is the closest thing to the next Randy Moss I've seen. And I thought grabbing Dalton in the 2nd was the best move for a QB. Cincinatti happened to do both which is why I loved their draft.

And one ENDLESS debate I've had with one of my good buddy's is that no matter how great a QB is, you have to surround them with talent. The Bengals gave Dalton AJ Green and drafted Mohamed Sanu (great possession compliment to Green) and Marvin Jones ( a sleeper WR).

Cincinatti as also been building up a good O-Line (and took Zietler in last years draft which I think is a great pick). The only thing missing from Cincinattie is a RB as they have 2 old 3yards and dust backs.

I don't see the same bright future for Carolina, I still see Carolina as a team in major rebuild mode with a need to get some talent.

Edit: I think it was Cosell that said Steve Smith was a top 5 WR lsat year, and its hard to argue with that. Steve Smith made some amazing plays that I think helped make Cam look good.

You knocked Cam down because he has Steve Smith and then you said no matter how great a QB you have, you need to surround him with talent. Of course Steve Smith made some amazing plays - he is a super talented WR. More often than not Cam put the ball on the money and made some amazing throws and made Steve Smith look good too. It goes hand in hand...

Most of the those balls are on the money. Often Steve Smith is able to catch the ball in stride over the middle and make moves to get more yards. There are some throws on the back shoulder, which few WRs can make - but a QB must know what kind of catches his WRs can make and throwing behind the WR is now a weapon top QBs use when they have WRs with sure hands. Of course, Steve Smith made a few catches that were flat out amazing...but Cam threw far more amazing passes that lead Steve Smith perfectly to the ball.
Originally posted by SolRebe1:
Trying to remember who the head coach for the Panthers is...

Ron Rivera
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:

You knocked Cam down because he has Steve Smith and then you said no matter how great a QB you have, you need to surround him with talent. Of course Steve Smith made some amazing plays - he is a super talented WR. More often than not Cam put the ball on the money and made some amazing throws and made Steve Smith look good too. It goes hand in hand...

Most of the those balls are on the money. Often Steve Smith is able to catch the ball in stride over the middle and make moves to get more yards. There are some throws on the back shoulder, which few WRs can make - but a QB must know what kind of catches his WRs can make and throwing behind the WR is now a weapon top QBs use when they have WRs with sure hands. Of course, Steve Smith made a few catches that were flat out amazing...but Cam threw far more amazing passes that lead Steve Smith perfectly to the ball.

I stand by my opinion that his production in his first year is a bit misleading by Steve Smith's arguably best year. I think Dalton in the long run has a better skill set for a winning QB and has better young talent around him. Dalton's main obstacle is Baltimore and Pittsbrugh....

My point about surrounding a QB with talent is that the Bengals offense has a much brighter future then then Carolina's.

Who is the young talent they are pairing with Cam Newton??? Steve Smith is 33 and is Cam's only weapon. DeAngelo is 29 and they just handed him a bloated contract when he is about to hit the RB age wall. They brought in Louis Murphy who is a toss away from the Raiders. Joe Adams could be a future weapon, but from what I've seen of Joe Adams in college is that his hands will need a lot of work. Jonathan Stewart is on the last year of his contract and at 25 years old, he would be smart to leave and get paid.
The Panthers still have plenty of years to add offensive talent around Newton. The Bengals were able to add talent for Dalton because their overall roster was much better, whereas the Panthers seriously needed to address their defense last year to become competitive. Look for Carolina to go after a top weapon (WR or TE) in next year's free agency and early/often in the 2013 draft.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
The Panthers still have plenty of years to add offensive talent around Newton. The Bengals were able to add talent for Dalton because their overall roster was much better, whereas the Panthers seriously needed to address their defense last year to become competitive. Look for Carolina to go after a top weapon (WR or TE) in next year's free agency and early/often in the 2013 draft.

Well when that happens, I'll change my opinion based on the odds of success.

But for now all we know is the roster Carolina has....
Share 49ersWebzone