There are 333 users in the forums

The **OFFICIAL** Cam Newton Bandwagon!

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by Sims84:
College stud.

Pro Fail.

how? 6'6 250, fast as is, but deceptively fast for his size, great arm, pretty good accuracy, play maker, fierce competitor, can work well in or out of the pocket and if we hire Harbaugh, will have one of the best coaches a QB can have. Explain why he is a "fail" at something he hasn't had a chance at yet?

He's Vince Young #2 but 1 inch taller. We've seen what that turns out to be. Nothing special...

How do you make that comparison? You probably have rarely watched him play and are basing your opinion on the highlights you have seen and analysis of others.

Why is Cam like Vince Young and NOT like Big Ben or Josh Freeman?

I just listed all those traits that he has and to put that with a QB guru such as Harbaugh and you think he'll end up like Young???

Vince Young went to a defensive minded atmosphere and never had the proper coaching OR mental aspect of the game. So if Cam is put under Harbaugh, the same guy YOU were raving about turning "no name QB's" into someone worth mentioning at San Diego State, why would he NOT be able to turn a physically talented, ALREADY, freak such as Cam into an elite QB??
I'm all over Newton. Most physically gifted QB to come out since Vick, and he also happens to be the #2 rated passer in all of college football. Pretty cool dude too! Only concern is maturity.

I'm positive that with Harbaugh, he can form the offense around Newton and make him an absolute star.
College stud.

Pro Fail.

how? 6'6 250, fast as is, but deceptively fast for his size, great arm, pretty good accuracy, play maker, fierce competitor, can work well in or out of the pocket and if we hire Harbaugh, will have one of the best coaches a QB can have. Explain why he is a "fail" at something he hasn't had a chance at yet?

He's Vince Young #2 but 1 inch taller. We've seen what that turns out to be. Nothing special...

How do you make that comparison? You probably have rarely watched him play and are basing your opinion on the highlights you have seen and analysis of others.

Why is Cam like Vince Young and NOT like Big Ben or Josh Freeman?

I just listed all those traits that he has and to put that with a QB guru such as Harbaugh and you think he'll end up like Young???

Vince Young went to a defensive minded atmosphere and never had the proper coaching OR mental aspect of the game. So if Cam is put under Harbaugh, the same guy YOU were raving about turning "no name QB's" into someone worth mentioning at San Diego State, why would he NOT be able to turn a physically talented, ALREADY, freak such as Cam into an elite QB??

Originally posted by confusedrhino:
I'm all over Newton. Most physically gifted QB to come out since Vick, and he also happens to be the #2 rated passer in all of college football. Pretty cool dude too! Only concern is maturity.

I'm positive that with Harbaugh, he can form the offense around Newton and make him an absolute star.

THIS. But one poster (SanDiego49er)thinks Harbaugh is so good he can turn a "no name QB" Josh Johnson at San Diego State into a QB worth mentioning but won't be able to do anything with Newton's talents. ::sigh:: where do these people come up with some of the stuff that comes out of their mouths, or in this case, typed onto their computer screen
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
If we get Harbaugh, I'm completely and totally onboard. IMO, as a former QB himself and recent college head coach, he has the best chance of relating to Cam and turning all of Newton's off-the-charts athleticism into a polished, top-rated NFL quarterback.

Agree

see the issue with physically gifted is it includes his running, but in a pro style offense that cant be equal to throwing. Newton

Newton had 2589 passing yards & 28tds and 1409 rushing yards & 20tds

I dont think that he will translate into a premier QB in the NFL, a starter maybe, but not worth the draft pick somebody will spend on him.

On a side note though, I REALLY hope that he is picked prior to us so we can get Prince Amukamara or a Top 5 DL if we switch to a 4-3.
Originally posted by irishluder:

see the issue with physically gifted is it includes his running, but in a pro style offense that cant be equal to throwing. Newton

Newton had 2589 passing yards & 28tds and 1409 rushing yards & 20tds

I dont think that he will translate into a premier QB in the NFL, a starter maybe, but not worth the draft pick somebody will spend on him.

On a side note though, I REALLY hope that he is picked prior to us so we can get Prince Amukamara or a Top 5 DL if we switch to a 4-3.

Michael Vick is "physically gifted" that INCLUDES running and he is THRIVING in a WCO system

We can grab Newton, draft a Brandon Harris/Jimmy Smith corner in the 2nd, a Titus Young type play maker in the 3rd and a Brooks Reed type pass rusher with our 1st pick in the 4th and grab the best available pass rusher with our second 4th round pick and that would be a VERY successful draft.

Fact is, if we land Harbaugh, yeah he can turn a decent QB into a good one, but why not let him turn a good QB into a GREAT one? There is a big difference between a Big Ben (Newton's potential with a great coach like Harbaugh) and a Kyle Orton (decent QB turned "good" with great coaching)

This my friends is a big concern. Agreed that it is the only concern. But imo, maturity will probably sink Newton's NFL career.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

This my friends is a big concern. Agreed that it is the only concern. But imo, maturity will probably sink Newton's NFL career.

Even more so than his inexperience in a pro-style offense, I'm concerned about his maturity as well. IMO, Cam has to have the right people around him (head coach, QB coach, offensive coordinator) to make sure he fulfills his massive potential. Someone who believes in him, is willing to TEACH him the art of quarterbacking and bring him along slowly (see Walsh/Joe).
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

Even more so than his inexperience in a pro-style offense, I'm concerned about his maturity as well. IMO, Cam has to have the right people around him (head coach, QB coach, offensive coordinator) to make sure he fulfills his massive potential. Someone who believes in him, is willing to TEACH him the art of quarterbacking and bring him along slowly (see Walsh/Joe).

I hear that for sure. I just really like how Cam handled himself this year. He has been under fire since day one, trying to learn a new playbook and beat out two quarterbacks who had been in the offense for a year, all while answering question about the laptop episode. He really sounds like a kid who made a mistake, owns up to it, and is ready to move on. Add to that all the questions about improper benefits and all the media attention that's been following him and I'm extremely impressed with what he's been able to accomplish. He has all the excuses in the world to slip up but he hasn't let himself. The adversity seems to have fueled him even more, which is something that will help him tremendously in the NFL.

If we get Harbaugh, I'm completely and totally onboard. IMO, as a former QB himself and recent college head coach, he has the best chance of relating to Cam and turning all of Newton's off-the-charts athleticism into a polished, top-rated NFL quarterback.

I agree that Newtons best chance is to get someone like Harbaugh to coach him up. He is going to be a project though. If you draft this kid dont expect to see him as your starter until at least 2013 in my opinion. Who will be the guy who comes in to start for 2 years? Kyle Orton perhaps?
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

I agree that Newtons best chance is to get someone like Harbaugh to coach him up. He is going to be a project though. If you draft this kid dont expect to see him as your starter until at least 2013 in my opinion. Who will be the guy who comes in to start for 2 years? Kyle Orton perhaps?

Not only Orton, but McNabb may be cut from Washington, a may. I can also see us going after Luck from the #7 position if and only if, Luck does a Manning or Elway and requests to be traded.

Still, Newton if my choice after Luck. I forgot what Bill Walsh said about his QBs in that they needed to be Athletic "something". Dang it I can't remember! Still, WCO needs a QB who has great feet, can move out of the pocket when needed and roll out.

Mallett doesn't fit that bill, but Newton surely does. I can't wait to see him on Monday!
Im with Ghost here. If we get Harbaugh...pair him with Cam, and the NFL wont know how to handle this combo. We absolutely need a vet to come in and start. We would need Cam to sit for one year. But hell Freeman started almost his whole rookie year. He has turned into something special. I see a faster Big Ben here.

Everyone knows here how much I have been pumping this guy up. He is a winner. He is a leader. Those are THE most important qualities to have as a QB in todays NFL IMO. The fact that his measurables and talents are through the roof is just gravy. With all the allegations that he has gone through the last 3 months...his ability to put the controversies behind him and focus on the game at hand, and dominating, is to say the least impressive.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

But you know, I thought the same about Josh Freeman and he proved to be NFL-ready after 1 year.

I agree with this as well. If Harbaugh can turn Josh Johnson into a decent prospect, I can only imagine how well he could do with Newton's potential. But like you said, Newton's maturity will play a big factor in that.

It's funny that in the beginning of the season, I went from being just a Luck & Locker supporter. But now, I have opened my mind up a bit more and have been a supporter of Gabbert, Newton, and even Mallett.

I still think Locker should be the pick, but I wouldn't be mad if we selected Newton.
Share 49ersWebzone