LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 235 users in the forums

The **OFFICIAL** Cam Newton Bandwagon!

Shop 49ers game tickets
First lets compare Big Ben and Cam in college. Cam rushed 264 times for 1473 yards in one season. In Big Ben’s entire college career his best season was 120 attempts for 189 yards. In three years his total rushing yardage was 246 yards in 3 years and combine that with 6 years pro and you get 1038 yards. So in 9 years compared to 1 he has rushed for roughly 400 yards less. Big Ben is hard to bring down and can scramble, but if you consider a guy who on average runs 115 yards a year a running QB, then we disagree on the definition of what a running QB is.

The other guy Mentioned Young, Meredith, Staubach, Mcnabb, Garcia, Cunningham and Vick
There best year in college stats are as follows
Young 102 attempts 444 yards
Meredith 77 attempts 230 yards
Staubach 156 Attempts 418 yards rushing
McNabb 135 attempts 438 yards rushing (McNabb had about 100 yards less over 4 yards then newton had in 1)
Jeff Garcia 119 attempts 359 yards
Vick 113 Attempts 636 yards
I couldn't find Cunninghams stats anywhere if someone else finds them let me know I would be curious to see.
These numbers don't even compare, every QB on this list could pass.

All Time Rushing List

Pat White, West Virginia (2005-08): 684 carries, 4,480 yards
Brad Smith, Missouri (2002-05) 799 carries, 4,289 yards
Antwaan Randle El, Indiana (1998-01) 857 carries, 3,895 yards
Joshua Cribbs, Kent St. (2001-04) 632 carries, 3,670 yards
Dee Dowis, Air Force (1986-89) 543 carries, 3,612 yards
Kareem Wilson, Ohio (1995-98) 885 carries, 3,597 yards
Eric Crouch, Nebraska (1998-01) 648 carries, 3,434 yards
Chris McCoy, Navy (1995-97) 682 carries, 3,401

These numbers are from wikipedia so if the numbers aren't perfect that is why.

How many of these guys are good at the QB position?

I am down on Cam but I don't like Mallett or Locker in the first round either. I haven't watched enough on Gabbert to say much, but using the 7 pick on any of the other qbs is worthless. We need a qb, but these guys just aren't worth the pick.
^^ Dude, let it go. We're not drafting Cam.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
^^ Dude, let it go. We're not drafting Cam.

Not with that attitude we arent
Cam doesn't fit what Harbaugh wants to do on offense. So we aren't drafting him.
Anybody that drafts Cam gets his dad aka super pimp with him... I don't think the 49ers want any part of that mess..
Originally posted by SourdoughDan:
Originally posted by Chief:
Don't want anywhere near this wagon.

Care to explain why?

"Heisman Trophy winner Cam Newton, of Auburn and Westlake High, needs to stay in college and work on his God awful mechanics, according to Russ Lande, a former NFL Scout, who heads the War Room for the Sporting News.

Lande, who had his early Mock Draft up in Sporting News Today on Wednesday, doesn’t have Newton going in the first round. He does have three other quarterbacks being selected in the first round.

Lande considers Newton to be two to three years away from being ready to play in the NFL as a traditional quarterback.

Before the Auburn-Alabama game, they showed highlights of Newton’s poor mechanics, especially his lazy footwork. Lande has him rated as the 51st player in his Super 99."

wouldnt go anywhere NEAR him. hes just an overhyped college QB that wont make it in the pros. he doesnt have what it takes.
Originally posted by Niners99:

Care to explain why?

"Heisman Trophy winner Cam Newton, of Auburn and Westlake High, needs to stay in college and work on his God awful mechanics, according to Russ Lande, a former NFL Scout, who heads the War Room for the Sporting News.

Lande, who had his early Mock Draft up in Sporting News Today on Wednesday, doesn’t have Newton going in the first round. He does have three other quarterbacks being selected in the first round.

Lande considers Newton to be two to three years away from being ready to play in the NFL as a traditional quarterback.

Before the Auburn-Alabama game, they showed highlights of Newton’s poor mechanics, especially his lazy footwork. Lande has him rated as the 51st player in his Super 99."

wouldnt go anywhere NEAR him. hes just an overhyped college QB that wont make it in the pros. he doesnt have what it takes.

ok. so he says. I guess this was before the SEC title game where he came out passing, and had an unforgettable game. He showed that he does have what it takes, and is a winner. As far as his mechanics, they are not the best, but thats what coaching does...Cam has played in three different offenses the last 3 years. He has shown he is coachable. You write him off because of what others say, well maybe there is a reason why this source is a former scout, the QB position has evolved.
Originally posted by ninerlifer:

Care to explain why?

ok. so he says. I guess this was before the SEC title game where he came out
passing, and had an unforgettable game. He showed that he does have what it takes, and is a winner. As far as his mechanics, they are not the best, but thats what coaching does...Cam has played in three different offenses the last 3 years. He has shown he is coachable. You write him off because of what others say, well maybe there is a reason why this source is a former scout, the QB position has evolved.

One game doesn't mean anything. Poor mechanics is a big deal. Winning a bowl game doesn't make you a winner in the NFL. College and the pros are totally different, as Jamarcus russell proved. I'd rather have at least 4-5 other qb in this draft.
Originally posted by ninerlifer:

Care to explain why?

ok. so he says. I guess this was before the SEC title game where he came out
passing, and had an unforgettable game. He showed that he does have what it takes, and is a winner. As far as his mechanics, they are not the best, but thats what coaching does...Cam has played in three different offenses the last 3 years. He has shown he is coachable. You write him off because of what others say, well maybe there is a reason why this source is a former scout, the QB position has evolved.

One game doesn't mean anything. Poor mechanics is a big deal. Winning a bowl game doesn't make you a winner in the NFL. College and the pros are totally different, as Jamarcus russell proved. I'd rather have at least 4-5 other qb in this draft.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran

Care to explain why?

Ive heard from a lot of people that sporting news draft experts are some of the worst out there, Wouldn't put to much stock into what they say.

[ Edited by Jcool on Jan 28, 2011 at 12:27:21 ]

Care to explain why?

He's trashing every QB but Kapernick and Gabbert. Look what he thinks of Stanzi.

Ricky Stanzi, QB, Iowa. This was his chance to prove he could play with some of the top QB prospects in the class, but Stanzi (6-4, 221) struggled all week and looks like a late-round pick at best. His accuracy was erratic, and his passes tended to dip and dive.

Read more: http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/feed/2011-01/2011-nfl-draft/story/locker-murray-need-to-deliver-in-senior-bowl-game-after-struggling-in-practice#ixzz1CNH0Qm3Y

I wouldnt put too much faith into anything from sporting news. Unless its certified as true. Theyre as bad as bleacher report imo.
the tardinals will do it
  • Paul
  • Veteran
I want Newton on this team, I buy into his hype.. but sadly I don't think it's gonna happen, I have a big feeling the Bills will take him or Washington will
Originally posted by Paul:
I want Newton on this team, I buy into his hype.. but sadly I don't think it's gonna happen, I have a big feeling the Bills will take him or Washington will

If Newton didn't bring along his dad. I be all for him..
seems a lot of people are cold on this kid.

he is a rare athlete w/ what appear to be great leadership skills

if he proves he can understand schemes and has an unstoppable work ethic like jim harbaugh will demand...then we'd be stupid to pass up this kid at #7...esp w/ all his athletic talent
Share 49ersWebzone