There are 268 users in the forums

The elephant in the room; What if A.Smith and/or Sing do great elsewhere?

Shop 49ers game tickets
who cares
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by A-R-S:
LOL. Sing will never succeed anywhere as a head coach, the man is a moron.

As for Alex, I can see him being average for the rest of forever.

This.
  • GORO
  • Veteran
Alex will either go to Sandiego and be Rivers back up and learn from Turner or he may go to Arizona and get a shot at a starting job and he likes being booed by Niner fans.
  • Envy
  • Veteran
Smith may become serviceable but that's it.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GORO:
Alex will either go to Sandiego and be Rivers back up and learn from Turner or he may go to Arizona and get a shot at a starting job and he likes being booed by Niner fans.

I can see him going to a team like Buffalo, Miami, Vikings, Titans and Cardinals competing for the starting job.

[ Edited by mayo49 on Jan 9, 2011 at 05:51:08 ]
Then best of luck to them. This isn't an elephant in the room. Sing is not going to get a HC gig anytime soon. He'll be lucky to be coordinator. He has a lot to learn about football coaching. if he succeeds it will mean he has gained experience at other levels of coaching that he did not have the luxury of gaining with us.
If Smith succeeds elsewhere we won't be crying if Harbaugh finds his guy and he does well. If harbaugh can't find a guy to do well then it stands to reason that Smith wouldn't do well under him either.
I don't think the final chapter has been written on Smith or Singletary. However Singletary's book is going to take a lot of writing. Also as much as we all hate to hear it Smith is still going to be part of the SF conversation for the summer. You can't worry about that kind of stuff. If Harbaugh is who we think he is then he'll find a guy in a later rd.
Brett Farve, who was drafted in the second round. He has gone on to play 20 years and won a Super Bowl while with the Packers. Kurt Warner was not drafted by any NFL team. Warner lead the Rams to a Super Bowl title and very nearly lead the Cardinals to a Championship as well. Joe Montana, drafted in the 3rd round, lead the 9ers as the team of the decade with multiple Super Bowl victories and did so with class and style. Even Dan Marino who was drafted in the first round was the 27th player to be taken. This means nearly every NFL team passed on Marino, for whatever reason. Tom Brady who was not drafted until the 6th round. This means every NFL team passed up the chance to draft Tom Brady a minimum of five times each. Tom Brady has leaf the Patriots to multiple Super Bowl victories, a perfect 16 – 0 season and continues to be great regardless of who his receivers may be.
All this really says is that you can't predict the future. Either many scouts couldn't predict what these guys would be but the guys that found them did. Heck, Warner and Brady weren't even supposed to be playing for their teams. Nobody had any idea they would be that good. But the point is that you can find THE guy in some random places and you don't have to peg all your hopes to the Trent Greens and Drew Bledsoes of the world if you find that guy and put them in a situation to win.
I see the Indianapolis Colts signing Alex Smith. He will back up Manning for a few years and become the starter once Manning retires and do great. Just watch.
Originally posted by 49erfannindy:
I see the Indianapolis Colts signing Alex Smith. He will back up Manning for a few years and become the starter once Manning retires and do great. Just watch.

I hope Alex lands on a team and is subsequently thrown into the fray, behind a line of human bulldozers , with a full back as large as a telephone booth. Has all the tine in the universe and then we'll see if it was him, or our line, our HC, our OC, our Hi C or the moon and sun not lining up with Mars and Pluto on a quadrangular alignment. The man has more apologists than George W. Bush at a GOP convention. I am curious what happens with him.

[ Edited by RogerCraig on Jan 9, 2011 at 06:48:42 ]
I can see Sing doing well at one point, players respect him, he's a great motivator, he just has to learn his X's and O's. As far as Alex, no chance. I don't care what team you put him, best he will do is above average. Everything about Alex is too inconsistent, and there's just somethings you can't teach.
If they succeed then they succeed Good for the both of them if they dont then they dont...too bad.

For me it's not an elephant in the room. I hope both men do well in their next venture. Both Sing and Smith are quality individuals. Personally, I would be suprised if Sing every amounts to anything as a head coach. He's lacking a lot of qualities it take to succeed. Smith on the other had has a chance to be a solid player, but even if he is in the perfect system for his skill set, I doubt he'll every be talked about as elite. Anyways, I wish the best for both of them.

[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Jan 9, 2011 at 07:00:25 ]
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
I can see Smithers succeeding in Arizona. Dude knows our playbook as well.

Maybe even Seattle.

good thing we have an entire new offense now because i can definately see him going to arizona. He could cause problems for us in arizona because he does know our defensive personnel, even if manusky is not retained, and their strenghts and weaknesses

[ Edited by cory4903 on Jan 9, 2011 at 07:18:59 ]
Id be happy for them, just didn't work out with us. Sing may grow to be a good coach one day, may have gotten his shot at the head job a little to soon. I blame Jed York for that one, he only had like 5 yrs of coaching experience before he got the job and 0 years as a coordinator or HC on any level. Alex will probably be a back up for the rest of his career.
Originally posted by VA49er:

Brett Farve, who was drafted in the second round. He has gone on to play 20 years and won a Super Bowl while with the Packers.

It should be added that Favre (watch that spelling!) was a complete bust with the team that drafted him (Atlanta) and was traded to Green Bay for a draft pick that turned into that all-world running back, Tony Smith.

Just imagine if the Falcons had known how to coach Favre and had kept him for 20 years...

[ Edited by 49erThrowback on Jan 9, 2011 at 07:27:08 ]
  • Otter
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pantstickle:
What if the moon eats our planet?!

Which side? I'd be ok if it ate DC, parts of Africa, and Arizona.
Share 49ersWebzone