There are 70 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The elephant in the room; What if A.Smith and/or Sing do great elsewhere?

Originally posted by TonyStarks:
I don't know about you guys,but I'd be pist if Smith went to his first pro bowl in a Dolphins uni.

I mean, that was the whole point in giving him enough time,right?

Each year we thought we were going to get that number one overall qb that we invested in? Each year we got nathan but penetration.

Alexcuses seem viable, but dammit, if these chumps succeed and we are still rebuilding, it will look pretty bad.

What if your Ex-Wife/girlfriend/whatever marries a millionaire? Would it change the days/weeks/years she made you miserable? No.

Just like Alex, If he becomes the best QB that's ever played the game; it doesn't change the fact that he sucked while he was here. Furthermore, him getting booted from here will probable help him recognize some of his shortcomings that he has not been willing to face. These are the growing pains that help young men grow up!

I for one hope that Alex does turn into something great somewhere else...
Originally posted by GorefullBore:
Originally posted by bigmike55:
Alex Smith and the word "great" do not belong in the same sentence.

Alex Smith was a great student of economics.

Seriously if no other team will give him a chance to start I think he will fit nicely as Philip Rivers backup reuniting with Norv.

I can see this as a strong possibility along with him ending up as back up behind Peyton Manning.
Originally posted by aman49:
Not only do I think Alex will be a good, maybe even Pro Bowl QB elsewhere...

I'm counting on it.

Don't bet the farm on that one
Originally posted by 666SF666SF:
Originally posted by carlgo:
I feel sorry for Smith. Terrible treatment and coaching here. It that can only be better for him elsewhere. I expect he can be productive, but not a star.

Singletary as a college coach? How many kids want to play his style of ball? Singletary's team or Oregon or Stanford or...? Especially skill position guys.

He might get work as some sort of specialized coach, like an assistant right outside linebacker footwork observer, just to give him a job to honor his career.

Too funny!

Although I do have to say this:

Patrick Willis: Man
Mike Singletary: Man (Too stubborn, too much of an a-hole, too much like MY old man)

Mike Singletary helped mold Patrick Willis into the NFL Star that he is, and I give kudos to Sing for doing so.

Hey ChaunceyGardner and BHulman, have either of you two Mensans read the article where PWillie HIMSELF admitted that he would've quit the NFL if it weren't for Singletary's guidance? Besides procreating and eating, I wonder how this species will survive...

[ Edited by 666SF666SF on Dec 29, 2010 at 20:24:24 ]
  • SFGem
  • Veteran
Alex will definitely make the pro bowl next year...........

in the ufl.
Originally posted by socal81:
Like Brandon Lloyd? Ouch

Singletary will probably never coach in the NFL again. My guess is college where he would fit in great. By the time his message wears thin, kids are graduating or off to the NFL.

As for Smith. I really doubt that he would even sniff the Pro Bowl anywhere else. Does anyone on this forum think that he's better than Rodgers, Ryan, Brees, Cutler, Brady, Manning, Rivers, Roethlisberger, Flacco, Vick...etc? He might increase his production with better coaching but you either have "IT" or you don't and Smith doesn't.

I concur on both points.
Originally posted by 5xChamp:
Originally posted by GorefullBore:
Originally posted by bigmike55:
Alex Smith and the word "great" do not belong in the same sentence.

Alex Smith was a great student of economics.

Seriously if no other team will give him a chance to start I think he will fit nicely as Philip Rivers backup reuniting with Norv.

I can see this as a strong possibility along with him ending up as back up behind Peyton Manning.

I've always agreed with this. There have been times when Alex looked great. In the beginning of the season, he led some very nice drives, but made some bonehead mistakes that led to us being 0-5. After Jimmy Raye was fired, didn't someone say he had a 90 QB rating?

Is it so hard to believe that if he went to a backup role under a Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, or Drew Brees... that he could possibly resurface a few years later as the QB he was SUPPOSED to be? Well... actually, that's a strong statement. Let's change that to "...that he could possibly resurface a few years laters as a legitimate STARTING QB?"

I'm not saying it's going to happen, but it's entirely possible. If you told Bucs fans many years ago that the always-scrambling Steve Young was going to be the highest rated passer (a statistical measure of efficiency) in NFL history, you'd probably get laughed at.

I for one will be happy for him that he found success. He was always very classy and never lashed out at the fans when they booed him. I just hope he finds success in the AFC and never beats us in a game.

Meanwhile, I could care less about Singletary's success.
I absolutely cannot imagine Dingleberry doing well as a HC anywhere at any level. Alex will find a QB job somewhere. As starter or backup. He needs coaching and the same system. I think he can be functional but not great.
  • mod
  • Veteran
I will always root for alex as long as he's not a Cardinal or Seahawk. I wish the best for him and accept the fact his time is done here.
  • nooj
  • Veteran
How does the success or failure of players/coaches that will no longer have a future with this team, have anything to do with our current team?

I guess you can sit through life thinking, what if this, what if that... The reality is that they will have absolutely no bearing on the 49ers unless we face them in a game.

And the prospect of them doing well elsewhere shouldn't impede your ability to make the best decisions for this team. That's how you end up wasting more than half a decade trying to develop one player.
Originally posted by A-R-S:
LOL. Sing will never succeed anywhere as a head coach, the man is a moron.

As for Alex, I can see him being average for the rest of forever.

I don't think Sing is moron, but he does not strike me as the sharpest knife in the drawer.

He's a nice guy who was in waaaaay over his head and didn't have the courage to ask for help and admit he was more often wrong than he was right.

Alex was not, is not and will never be a top flight QB in the NFL.

He was desperately grasping at straws, perhaps believing he could demonstrate an acceptable level of competence . It was up to management to force him to face reality, not Alex and management's failure to do so slammed the brakes to any possible progress within the team.
What if Singletary got an interview to coach Stanford?
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
What if Singletary got an interview to coach Stanford?

What if a meteor hits the Matterhorn?
Originally posted by susweel:
good for them
Originally posted by pantstickle:
What if the moon eats our planet?!

Then.........we die????