There are 55 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The elephant in the room; What if A.Smith and/or Sing do great elsewhere?

Good for them. The only chance Smith has is to get a fresh start elsewhere and Sing needs to get some experience and he might turn out pretty good.
I feel sorry for Smith. Terrible treatment and coaching here. It that can only be better for him elsewhere. I expect he can be productive, but not a star.

Singletary as a college coach? How many kids want to play his style of ball? Singletary's team or Oregon or Stanford or...? Especially skill position guys.

He might get work as some sort of specialized coach, like an assistant right outside linebacker footwork observer, just to give him a job to honor his career.
Originally posted by Jamespowers:
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
What if Alex does great next year and is a pro bowler

as an Arizona Cardinal?

Alex a pro bowler? nah, he is not good enough. Name me a QB that was a bust with the team that drafted him and went on to success elsewhere... Sing will forever be a LB coach, something I think he is actually good at.

Steve Young
Originally posted by midrdan:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by confusedrhino:
Originally posted by theweapon:
What if Alex does great next year and is a pro bowler as an Arizona Cardinal?

Alex a pro bowler? nah, he is not good enough. Name me a QB that was a bust with the team that drafted him and went on to success elsewhere... Sing will forever be a LB coach, something I think he is actually good at.

Uh.... Steve Young?

lol owned. Someone else that comes to mind is Kurt Warner. He wasn't drafted, but tried out for a couple NFL teams before being picked up by the Rams. Although it doesn't work quite as well as Steve Young who actually played some games before being traded away as not living up to his potential.

Don't forget Brees going to New Orleans..

Or Vinny Testeverde back in the day.

Brees was a Pro Bowler on San Diego. So, uh, no dice.

Also the exception does not prove the rule folks. For every 1 Steve Young there are about 20 of the bust variety: Couch, Leaf, Schuler, Harrington, Russell, McNown, etc. Might as well just add Alex's name to the bust list now, he's never been one to prove anyone wrong.

Brees turned things around in his 3rd year.

Yeah, Brees was on his way to being a bust, so much so they drafted EliERPhilip Rivers firstERfourth overall. He turned things around that year, and the Chargers would have likely kept him if not for his shoulder injury (that also prevented the Dolphins from signing him).
Originally posted by carlgo:
I feel sorry for Smith. Terrible treatment and coaching here. It that can only be better for him elsewhere. I expect he can be productive, but not a star.

Singletary as a college coach? How many kids want to play his style of ball? Singletary's team or Oregon or Stanford or...? Especially skill position guys.

He might get work as some sort of specialized coach, like an assistant right outside linebacker footwork observer, just to give him a job to honor his career.

Too funny!

Although I do have to say this:

Patrick Willis: Man
Mike Singletary: Man (Too stubborn, too much of an a-hole, too much like MY old man)

Mike Singletary helped mold Patrick Willis into the NFL Star that he is, and I give kudos to Sing for doing so.
Mike Singletary being responsible for Patrick Willis' success is like saying the guy who hung the Mona Lisa in a museum is responsible for Leonardo Da Vinci's.
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
Mike Singletary being responsible for Patrick Willis' success is like saying the guy who hung the Mona Lisa in a museum is responsible for Leonardo Da Vinci's.

Willis looked pretty good from Day 1.
Like Brandon Lloyd? Ouch

Singletary will probably never coach in the NFL again. My guess is college where he would fit in great. By the time his message wears thin, kids are graduating or off to the NFL.

As for Smith. I really doubt that he would even sniff the Pro Bowl anywhere else. Does anyone on this forum think that he's better than Rodgers, Ryan, Brees, Cutler, Brady, Manning, Rivers, Roethlisberger, Flacco, Vick...etc? He might increase his production with better coaching but you either have "IT" or you don't and Smith doesn't.

Um...Steve Young?

as an Arizona Cardinal?

This just in!!!!

This thread is full of

as an Arizona Cardinal?

[ Edited by eastie on Dec 29, 2010 at 18:49:36 ]
Originally posted by eastie:

as an Arizona Cardinal?

Jim Plunkett. Bust with the Pats. SB with the Raiders.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by danimal:
Originally posted by Shaj:
Smith COULD do well elsewhere. And yes, I will be pissed if he does.

Sing has done the last NFL HC gig he'll ever get again his whole life. The best he can ever get from here out is a LB coach in the NFL, or POSSIBLY a HC position in the college ranks, but even that is iffy. He can't even be an NFL commentator because he doesn't understand the game enough to make commentary without watching film first with somebody smarter than him explaining to him what he's seeing, which defeats the purpose of having a game time commentator in the first place.

He already had a motivational speaking gig this last Monday. That's where his future lies. And he's got $5M to help him get started back on that again.

Shaj, you almost made me piss myself...thinking of him covering a game and saying "I will have to catch this game again tonight on NFL Replay before I can comment" Every game he covers he would talk more about the game he covered last week than the one going on right now.

Thats a pretty funny image.

ahh, true, exception for every rule. Was Steve Young really a bust with Tampa? He started with LA express in USFL, was decent with them. Those tampa teams were terrible. Steve Young was not the reason they lost games

as an Arizona Cardinal?

Jim Plunkett. Bust with the Pats. SB with the Raiders.
Originally posted by bigmike55:
Alex Smith and the word "great" do not belong in the same sentence.

Alex Smith was a great student of economics.

Seriously if no other team will give him a chance to start I think he will fit nicely as Philip Rivers backup reuniting with Norv.

[ Edited by GorefullBore on Dec 29, 2010 at 19:32:15 ]