There are 211 users in the forums

Predictions for new GM?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Rivers77:
Originally posted by communist:
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
someone from the patriots

......or from the Ravens. Don't sleep on the usual suspects like Holmgren either if he can get out of his Browns contract.
i just dont get why everyone is on holmgren...yeah, perhaps he has some ties to the niners but who cares? why should mike leave the browns after a year???

Two teams. Three Super Bowl appearances. I like those qualifications.
me either but that wasn't the issue here...
From a thread I made over at the 9ers.com board: Keep in mind it's just people to consider, not everyone on the list I want

From Within:
Trent Baalke - 6 seasons with 49ers as personnel point-man, director of college scouting... Personally, I keep him on board as a personnel/scout type and hire an experienced GM. He isn't a free agency type guy to me.
Paraag Marathe - More of a contract negotiations guy, limited football personnel knowledge

Outside the Organization:
Some of these guys have GM jobs or have retired so they might not be an option but could possibly be persuaded to come here.

Floyd Reese - Working with Patriots as advisor, long time Oilers/Titans coach/GM/president
Nick Caserio - Director of Player Personnel with Pats (08-present), WR coach in 07, Director of pro personnel (04-06), scout (03)

Erin Accorsi - Former GM of the Giants, Took them to a SB in 01, put together 07 SB team (Coughlin as well) but retired before 2nd SB
Marc Ross - Took over for Accorsi, Ran Giants drafts since 07, director of college scouting, also with Bills and Eagles.

Ryan Grigson- Director of player personnel for the Eagles
Louis Ridd-i-c-k - Director of Pro Personnel for the Eagles, been scout for them since 08, drafted by 49ers in 91 (9th round)

Reggie McKenzie - Director of Football Operations for Packers, been with Packers since 1994.. started out as pro personnel assistant
John Dorsey - Director of College Scouting for Packers (2000-present), started as college scout (91-97)

Kevin Colbert - GM for Steelers, considered responsible for SB 40 team, Scout for Lions and Dolphins
Omar Khan - Been with Steelers since 01 as capologist and cheif negotiator (like Martahe, limited football personnel experience

Mike Holmgren - Current Browns GM, long time HC with GB/SEA/SF

Bill Parcells - Former GM/president for Dolphins, long time HC with Giants/Pats,etc

Eric DeCosta - Director of Player Personnel for Ravens, Studying under Ozzie Newsome, one of the best GMs out there

Randy Mueller - Current Chargers Senior Executive, also gm for Saints and Dolphins but neither stint lasting more than 3 years... Held various jobs with Seahawks from 83-99

Charlie Casserly - Former GM/executive for Redskins, 23 years and 4 SBs with Redskins... 2000-2006 GM for Texans

Ted Sundquist - Spent 93-2007 with Broncos, director of college scouting when Broncos won back to back SBs, promoted to gm in 02 when ATL and Chicago went after him, finalist for president job in 04 for SEA

Chris Polian - Son of Bill Polian (Bills/Colts long time gm), is current VP and GM for Colts and has helped with all football relations for the past 12 years.

Ronnie Hill - former executive with Atlanta, Jacksonville and Denver, now NFL's VP of football operations, orchestrated trade that brought Vick to ATL

Greg Gabriel - Director of College Scouting for Bears for last 5 years (hired in 01 though), 23 years in NFL, 16 with Giants in scouting department

......or from the Ravens. Don't sleep on the usual suspects like Holmgren either if he can get out of his Browns contract.
i just dont get why everyone is on holmgren...yeah, perhaps he has some ties to the niners but who cares? why should mike leave the browns after a year???

Sorry mang. I was addressing the first part of your question, not whether or not he'd be willing to leave the Browns. I can't speculate on that, but I do believe he builds winners. I'd much prefer him as the coach.
  • obx49
  • Veteran
Denver post article that list some intriguing GM candidates...

Les Snead, director of player personnel, Atlanta: To find the next Dimitroff, look at his right-hand man.

George Paton, director of pro personnel, Minnesota: Third year with Vikings after six years with Dolphins, he is ready for top job.

George Kokanis/Eric DeCosta, Baltimore: Kokanis is former Browns GM. He and DeCosta are GM Ozzie Newsome's top personnel lieutenants.

Tom Telesco, director of player personnel, Colts: Before Dimitroff, Bill Polian was the game's top executive. Telesco is top personnel guy.

Will Lewis, director or pro personnel, Seahawks: Highly regarded in the industry. Worked closely for years with Mike Holmgren.

John Beake, Ted Sundquist, former Broncos GMs: If Pat Bowlen wants a return to the Broncos Way, he can bring back leaders of the glory years.
prediction: baalke

wishlist: Jerry Angelo(CHI), Mike Tomlin/Kevin Colbert (PIT), Bill or Chris Polian (IND),
Thomas Dmitrov (ATL), Mickey Loomis (NO), Holmgren, Gruden(?)
Originally posted by Envy:
Originally posted by ClassicNiner:
Originally posted by 190836:
I think we should ask Jerry Jones for advise, just like the stadium.

Whit??? Ah I see you were joking. Phew....

I don't want anyone from the Steelers or Ravens. I want a WCO GM and I want him to hire a WCO HC. We're the god damn 49ers. Its time to get our heads out of our asses and get back to what we know worked........for TWO DECADES

Bows and arrows and horse-drawn carriages worked for a long time too.

Granted but 500 years of military ingenuity and transport design have little affect on the Quarterback position I would gather. Unless they were names given to audibles?

I don't think going back to the WCO is the answer. I'd like a coach who innovates if possible.

I'm not saying we get out Bill's tapes and start again but I think the WCO is by far as important today as it was 30 years ago. Look how many teams run the system that are dominating the league.

I don't disagree with you, but our current personnel is not a particularly good fit for the WCO. We don't have a WCO QB, receivers who run precise routes and are good in traffic, or a WC O-line. I would like a coach who can make the best out of what we have, with a new QB, of course.
Originally posted by ea_thegreat:
The new GM should sign Norv as OC if he is fired.

Been there, Done that!! Let's move on!!
Originally posted by montana4ever:

I actually thought Norv did a good job here. I wouldn't mind seeing him as an OC, just not a HC.
I'd like to see Holmgren although I don't think he can get out of the Browns situation. Parcells is too old, George Seifort would do a good job IMO. Somone with a lot of experience and a great reputation.

The GM and coaching "searches" shouldn't IMO be too hard this 49ers team has the player personnel to win now. Add a legit QB and we're a 9 win team easily, add a lockdown CB and a bigtime passrusher and this team would be in contention.

The 49ers are still one of only a handful of glory franchises in sports (steelers, cowboys, celtics, lakers, yankess, red sox are the others IMO) with a good team like we have I'm sure a bunch of potential GMs and HCs would love to come here especially those with bay area or 49er ties.

I don't want anyone from the Steelers or Ravens. I want a WCO GM and I want him to hire a WCO HC. We're the god damn 49ers. Its time to get our heads out of our asses and get back to what we know worked........for TWO DECADES

Granted but 500 years of military ingenuity and transport design have little affect on the Quarterback position I would gather. Unless they were names given to audibles?

I don't think going back to the WCO is the answer. I'd like a coach who innovates if possible.

I'm not saying we get out Bill's tapes and start again but I think the WCO is by far as important today as it was 30 years ago. Look how many teams run the system that are dominating the league.

I don't disagree with you, but our current personnel is not a particularly good fit for the WCO. We don't have a WCO QB, receivers who run precise routes and are good in traffic, or a WC O-line. I would like a coach who can make the best out of what we have, with a new QB, of course.

I wanna go back to the WCO sooo badly......

Sorry mang. I was addressing the first part of your question, not whether or not he'd be willing to leave the Browns. I can't speculate on that, but I do believe he builds winners. I'd much prefer him as the coach.
oh sorry, i forgot that i questioned sth in a previous post.
Originally posted by daWest:

wishlist: Jerry Angelo(CHI), Mike Tomlin/Kevin Colbert (PIT), Bill or Chris Polian (IND),

Originally posted by montana4ever:

As much as I want to say yes, what's stopping him from running along to another HC job and leaving us high and dry again? Not that he would get one....
Originally posted by YungAce:
Originally posted by daWest:

My reaction as well...
  • Envy
  • Veteran

No I accept that and part of me agrees with you. It could be a slow rebuild. The current roster is a bit of a mixed selection with only a few displaying the top end skills for a true WCO but maybe some sort of Power West Coast that we see at Stanford or so. I concur that with the lack of football intelligence on this team the need for innovation from a HC in order to just compete in games is paramount.
Share 49ersWebzone