There are 98 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Goodell to format playoffs????

Seriously you gotta be kidding me, roger goodell is contemplateting a reformat system. screw that. first off, we haven't even played the first wild card games yet, what happens and i seriously mean what happens when the 7 and 9 niners defeat a sixth seeded team?? And I only say Niners since we all know we will be in the playoffs "if" the queerhawks lose one game..
Goodell won't allow for a team with a 7-9 record enter the playoffs. The Rams will finish out 8-8 and win the division. Look for more BS calls from the refs that negate big plays and TD's.
I don't think it will get formated THIS season. I do believe they will take a long look at it next year, especially if we get into the playoffs and get dismantled. Now if we win, that will go to show, as it normally does, anything can happen once you get in the playoffs regardless of your regular season record.
OMG
we beat the rams..in overtime. at home. i wouldn't ink a victory just yet.
I think this will happen after this year... it'll be known as the "7-9ers rule".
[ Edited by DaDivaRecieva15 on Dec 22, 2010 at 2:18 AM ]
A reformat is in order. In no way should a 7 - 9 team host a playoff game at home vs. a 12 - 4 team. That's rediculous.

It should be the highest seeded teams from each conference that make it regardless of division.
Such is the shame that the Yorks and Singletary brought to the team.
Originally posted by truekingcarlos:
Such is the shame that the Yorks and Singletary brought to the team.

amen.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
I don't think anything is going to happen to the playoff format and the rules. I think Goodell is just trying to split the difference on this issue by taking the middle road.
NFC West could inspire playoff re-seeding
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on December 15, 2010, 5:43 PM EST

It usually takes an attention-grabbing event to change the NFL rulebook.

Last year’s Saints-Vikings NFC Championship helped change the overtime rules, at least for the playoffs. Falcons president and co-chair of the NFL Competition Committee Rich McKay hopes that the current state of the NFC West forces the league to change its playoff seeding methods starting in 2011.

“I’ve brought it up twice and never had real success getting it passed,” McKay told NFL Network’s Jason La Canfora. “I think it something we should consider.”

McKay said he supports re-seeding spots 3-6 by record, with division winners not necessarily granted a home game. (Division winners would be guaranteed a playoff spot at any record.) He’s come close to getting the measure passed before, with upwards of 18 votes supporting the idea. 24 owners would need to approve the measure to pass it.

Perhaps having the first 7-9 playoff team in NFL history could inspire such a change. It’s almost enough to make us root for the Chiefs, Falcons, Panthers, and Chargers this week.

Link
Two years ago the Chargers won with 8-8 and it was no problem and now its a big deal. I think its the Saints that are complaining because they would have to come here and play their first game with a 12-4 record.
Originally posted by Schazzle:
Seriously you gotta be kidding me, roger goodell is contemplateting a reformat system. screw that. first off, we haven't even played the first wild card games yet, what happens and i seriously mean what happens when the 7 and 9 niners defeat a sixth seeded team?? And I only say Niners since we all know we will be in the playoffs "if" the queerhawks lose one game..

I read the same articile and he said that he would consider looking at making some changes to how the teams are ranked. It certainly won't happen this year. He needs the approval of the owners to make such a move and you just don't make a "knee jerk" reaction to something that might not happen. (a team under 500 making the playoffs and winning a division.)

Having said that I hope we lose the RAMS game to allow us to finally put an end to what has become a nightmare season and get a top ten draft pick.
[ Edited by Ninerfan81 on Dec 22, 2010 at 6:01 AM ]
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
A reformat is in order. In no way should a 7 - 9 team host a playoff game at home vs. a 12 - 4 team. That's rediculous.

It should be the highest seeded teams from each conference that make it regardless of division.

2008 for example

NFC
1st round bye
NYG 12-4 (home field) (beat Car)
Car 12-4

Div winners
Min 10-6
Ari 9-7

Wild card
Atl 11-5
Phi 9-6-1

Now if we base it on the best 6 teams in the NFC

NYG 12-4 (beat Car)
Car 12-4

Atl 11-5
Min 10-6

Phi 9-6-1

Now here’s were it gets tricky because you have no division winner so you look at the wild card tiebreaker that says use division tiebreaker first

Ari 9-7 (6-0 div)
Chi 9-7 (4-2 div)
Dal 9-7 (3-3 div)
TB 9-7 (3-3 div)

So we have the same 6 teams but Atlanta gets a home game instead of Arizona and they prob don’t go to the super bowl

AFC
1st round by
Ten 13-3 (home field)
Pit 12-4

Div winners
Mia 11-5
SD 8-8

Wild card
Ind 12-4
Bal 11-5

Based on best 6 teams

1st round bye
Ten 13-3 (home field)
Ind 12-4 (beat Pit)

So instead of the Colts being a wild card team they would host a home game and get a first round bye

Div winners
Pit 12-4
Bal 11-5

I think Bal wins the 4th tiebreaker over Mia and NE but my brain stopped working with winning % in common games?

Wild card
Mia 11-5 (Dolphins beat NE)
NE 11-5

NE is in SD is out
Pit has to play NE instead of getting a first round bye

I think if this happened Atl and Pit both lose and you’re looking at a Philly vs NE super bowl

That's if they kept the current tie breaking procedures which would probably need to be re done

And last year you had Dal, Phi, and GB all at 11-5 all 4-2 div and 9-3 conf winning % in common games who knows just to figure out who gets a home game and who is a WC team

With all the parity in the league it’s going to come down to a damn coin toss

ah my brain hurts
Originally posted by rudedog:
Two years ago the Chargers won with 8-8 and it was no problem and now its a big deal. I think its the Saints that are complaining because they would have to come here and play their first game with a 12-4 record.

Newsflash 8-8 isn't a losing record that's why nobody was tripping. A 7-9 team shouldn't get a home game.