LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 269 users in the forums

SI: Holmgren as 49ers Coach in 2011?

Shop 49ers game tickets
blacksmith would look good in the wco
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
This is going to be a banner year for off season coaching changes. It's possible we could see as many as 10 coaching changes, which I think would be a record.

The big names such as Cowher and Gruden will be able to write the own checks.. Guys like Fox, Kubiak, Turner etc. won't be out of work long either.

HIGHLY likely to change coaches.

49ers (Singletary)
Vikings (Childress)
Panthers (Fox)
Cowboys (Garrett)
Texans (Kubiak)
Jaguars (Del Rio)

Possibility of changing coaches

Bears (Smith)
Chargers (Turner)
Cincinnati (Lewis)
Denver (McDaniels)

None of the guys on your "possibles" list will lose their job -- possibly Lovie Smith if the Bears totally collapse and miss the playoffs (but they're 6-3 right now).

I live in Colorado and McDaniels ain't going anywhere. The offense is lighting it up, and he can't invent talent on defense.

If lewis wasn't fired before, he won't now. Same goes for Norv.

My reasons for the guys as possbiles were.

1. Lovie Smith is in the last year of his deal. The Bears could decide to go in another direction and not have to pay to get rid of him. True they are 6-3, let's see where they end the season.

2. Turner... If the Chargers don't make the playoffs I think his job is in jeopardy

3. Lewis has been in Cincy about 6 or seven years now and made the payoffs twice. They look horrible this year. If I were the owner I wouldn't be very happy.

4. McDaniel.. The Broncos have looked horrible at times this season, remember the Raider beat down a couple of weeks ago? McDaniel was also the guy that traded a #1 for the Alphonso Smith, CB from Wake Forest. Only to dump him on Detroit the following season for a mid rounder..Hmmm.. He is also the guy that ran Brandon Marshall out of town.. If I were Bowlen, I wouldn't be sold on him at all.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Troy Smith, Crabtree, Vernon, Gore in the West Coast Offense?

I know some think its a huge deal to keep changing offensive systems..but our players are made for the WCO....besides Troy has done a good job picking up this offense pretty quickly.....so I'm sure it wouldn't be a big deal to him.

we shouldn't let our Alex experience faze us when thinking about changing offensive systems....most QBs can adjust... Shaun Hill has done a good job adjusting for years, and I believe he is running the WCO in Detriot.

Shaun hill and digit system don't work. He's got the quick release weak arm that makes him good for that system.

Really i love the move. but he would want full control as gm and head coach and he can't do both i know he loves football but he's the guy who can do either job, question is what job does he want to do. because he can't do both at the same time which is the problem and it's going to be what he wants.

Should anyone truly have the much control. Pete carrol seems to but will see how it works. Head coach is a 24 hour job unless your sing.

G.M. or head coach we should fill these spots the right way hire the right g.m so he can hire the right coach.

[ Edited by TheGoldDiggerrrr on Nov 15, 2010 at 15:42:09 ]
  • gage
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ajanke:
I will muff dive the Walrus if he comes back to sf.
  • ZRF80
I would be in tears if he came back. After all we've been through, the NFL gods would finally be smiling upon us......
  • Veteran
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by ninertico:
Well, I don't feel so bad about our opportunities to get better in the off-season. It seems we will have some serious options for GM, HC, and OC with the possibility of DC, too.

There are some big names out there that Jed could use to slap a respectable label on his organization. Holmy is but one option and a nice one at that. I would love for him to come in and be the HC. Given M. Johnson's success, would he be given a chance at OC to learn from one of the best and continue his development of QBs along side of the Great Walrus.

I would want to see the WCO back. I would love for Holmy to be the one in charge of picking our next QB of the future with next year's good QB crop.

Who knows? The stars may align right for us once more. I don't feel like 05 where we just seemed to settle for what was out there both at HC and QB.

No matter what though, it seems Singletary is definitely out at the end of the season.

Holmgren at GM, Harbaugh at OC, and Luck at QB!
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Too good to be true. I won't believe till I'm crying in happiness at his opening press conference.
I think we would be best off getting Holmgren as GM or President, hiring Gruden or another WC guy as HC, Mornhinweg as OC. It's going to cost a lot of money but either spend it on that or re-sign a few of our overrated players like Goldson. Ray Rhodes is still a defensive assistant for the Texans. I think he was our DC in 94. Maybe he wants to reunite too. It may sound like I just want a reunion but honestly, I think these guys would be best for us. Forget about them working for the 49ers before.
I hope the Cowboys and Browns keep on winning. It'll take two organizations out of the running for coaches this off season.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
I think we would be best off getting Holmgren as GM or President, hiring Gruden or another WC guy as HC, Mornhinweg as OC. It's going to cost a lot of money but either spend it on that or re-sign a few of our overrated players like Goldson. Ray Rhodes is still a defensive assistant for the Texans. I think he was our DC in 94. Maybe he wants to reunite too. It may sound like I just want a reunion but honestly, I think these guys would be best for us. Forget about them working for the 49ers before.

Sooooo Holmgren is just going to violate the terms of his 5 year contract to go be president with another team? I dont think the Browns, nor the NFL is going to like that.

Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Come back home Walrus

If Holmgrein is a Walrus, whats Andy Reid??
Originally posted by jojomellon:

Sooooo Holmgren is just going to violate the terms of his 5 year contract to go be president with another team? I dont think the Browns, nor the NFL is going to like that.

Post I made 3 days back:

n regards to Holmgren:

Why he wouldn't:
Holmgren, 62, also said he is committed to finishing out the five-year contract he signed with Browns owner Randy Lerner in January, but then he added:

"I made a promise, and I'm going stick with that. Now if I keep wearing a suit or not, we'll see." Sounds like he is making 8-10 million a year as well.

------------
Why he would:
Born in San Francisco

Spent 1971-91 coaching in the SF area with a small stint in San Jose and then at BYU (3 years).

So that totals about 17 years in the SF area with 3 in San Jose.

According to another poster on 49erswebzone Holmgren has a newly built house 10-15 from 49ers headquarters. (Update... built before he got the Cleveland job so doesn't necessarily mean anything)

------
My only worries would be 63 before he coached us. He would probably want full control and maybe GM/HC type job. Most people can't handle both much less a guy in his 60's. I think we would be better off if he was our president/GM and brought in a west coast offensive coach like Marty Mornhinweg or Jon Gruden (or insert other WC names here)!!!

And if this happened you know the organization would be committed to winning because that would take big bucks to lure over Holmgren and Gruden. We will find a lot out about our organization based on who they interview and hire. Do they go cheap assistant, do they go great assistant with potential, do they persuade Harbaugh, do they get one of the big names, or do they make us elated by getting Holmgren as GM and a big name coach like Gruden? Are wre interviewing everybody or do we do the Rooney rule and one or two candidates that we have made up our mind about already? (How thorough is our search) Are w afraid to ask the big name coaches due to possible reject or do we say you know what we want to win at all cost, name your price and demands... let's go!

For those of you who think the Yorks won't spend the money let me ask you this: If we can offer contracts of (not saying they got all of this) 64 million to Clements, 49 million to Alex, 36 million to Jonas Jennings, 45 million to Justin Smith, 15 million to Brandon Jones, 50 million to Willis, 40 million to VD, 20 million to Barlow, 20 million to Michael Lewis, etc why can't we spend big money on a coach and GM? So we can throw 100's of millions at players who could or have made us marginally better or even worse but we can't offer Holmgren and Gruden say 10 million each a year for 5 years who could win us championships?

Hmm... take the money and resign Goldson and Franklin/Lawson or bring in Holmgren/Gruden?

Post I made 3 days back:

n regards to Holmgren:

Why he wouldn't:
Holmgren, 62, also said he is committed to finishing out the five-year contract he signed with Browns owner Randy Lerner in January, but then he added:

"I made a promise, and I'm going stick with that. Now if I keep wearing a suit or not, we'll see." Sounds like he is making 8-10 million a year as well.

------------
Why he would:
Born in San Francisco

Spent 1971-91 coaching in the SF area with a small stint in San Jose and then at BYU (3 years).

So that totals about 17 years in the SF area with 3 in San Jose.

According to another poster on 49erswebzone Holmgren has a newly built house 10-15 from 49ers headquarters. (Update... built before he got the Cleveland job so doesn't necessarily mean anything)

------
My only worries would be 63 before he coached us. He would probably want full control and maybe GM/HC type job. Most people can't handle both much less a guy in his 60's. I think we would be better off if he was our president/GM and brought in a west coast offensive coach like Marty Mornhinweg or Jon Gruden (or insert other WC names here)!!!

And if this happened you know the organization would be committed to winning because that would take big bucks to lure over Holmgren and Gruden. We will find a lot out about our organization based on who they interview and hire. Do they go cheap assistant, do they go great assistant with potential, do they persuade Harbaugh, do they get one of the big names, or do they make us elated by getting Holmgren as GM and a big name coach like Gruden? Are wre interviewing everybody or do we do the Rooney rule and one or two candidates that we have made up our mind about already? (How thorough is our search) Are w afraid to ask the big name coaches due to possible reject or do we say you know what we want to win at all cost, name your price and demands... let's go!

For those of you who think the Yorks won't spend the money let me ask you this: If we can offer contracts of (not saying they got all of this) 64 million to Clements, 49 million to Alex, 36 million to Jonas Jennings, 45 million to Justin Smith, 15 million to Brandon Jones, 50 million to Willis, 40 million to VD, 20 million to Barlow, 20 million to Michael Lewis, etc why can't we spend big money on a coach and GM? So we can throw 100's of millions at players who could or have made us marginally better or even worse but we can't offer Holmgren and Gruden say 10 million each a year for 5 years who could win us championships?

Hmm... take the money and resign Goldson and Franklin/Lawson or bring in Holmgren/Gruden?

Great, he has a history here. Where did you explain the part about him being under contract for 4 more years?
get him here and trade for T. Thigpen

Great, he has a history here. Where did you explain the part about him being under contract for 4 more years?

I would think a gm/president can get out of a contract just like players do. How many contracts hold up these days? It might mean Holmgren would have to give some money back. Not sure how it would work. I didn't say it would happen, just saying it's something to consider.

Their was a rumor that Gruden was going to Cleveland so it could all be moot. I don't know much about contracts for gms/president's but someone here might. Your telling me it can't happen?

[ Edited by Gore_21 on Nov 15, 2010 at 18:07:32 ]
Share 49ersWebzone