There are 310 users in the forums

SI: Holmgren as 49ers Coach in 2011?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Defuego:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by baltien:
Originally posted by jojomellon:
I am confused about why so many think Childress is a good OC. Reid called the plays when Childless was in Philly and the O in Minnesota only started dominating when he had both Favre and Peterson at the top of their game. I question if he really is a good OC.

I wouldnt even question it. Hes not. Hes an awful coach. I have no idea why every fired coach or cut player is suddenly wanted to badly.

Honestly? Probably because he runs the WCO.

That in itself is enough to get people around here on board.

lol He's a pretty good OC. Everyone wants to remember how his stint with the Vikes ended and not the fact that he was the HC of a team that went to the NFC championship game or that he was a good OC in the first place and made the playoffs while starting Tarvaris Jackson and Gus Frerotte. I don't understand why you guys hate him, he's not a great HC as far as managing egos and making personnel decisions but he knows offense.

Oh and btw don't forget the fact that damn near everyone in this league has changed teams in FA, been cut, traded, fired, etc. People want guys from other teams because they might be better or as good as the guys on our team and we friggin suck.

You really didn't give any argument for Childress being a good OC. Yes, the Vikes made the playoffs with a crappy QB, but they had a great D and the best combination of running back and offensive line in the league. The offense of the Vikings doesn't appear to be inventive or unpredictable so I don't think Childress is really inventive or creative.

Childress only had one NFL OC position prior to being a HC and that was for the Eagles. While he was the OC of the Eagles Andy Reid called all of the plays so can you really can't grade Childress' OC prowess based on that job.

Once again I ask: Why does anyone consider Brad Childress a good OC?

Yeah but he managed to run against 8 in the box all year. Yes his OLine was great and he had AP, but we have Gore and multiple first rounders on the OLine and we can't do s**t. It's not even always about talent or position coaching on the line, if you're running on 8 in the box succesfully you need to be unpredictable and be a good coordinator to pull that off. That's one of the hardest things to do in football dude. Then he makes the NFC championship game and would've won if Favre hadn't tossed the ball to the other team and AP hadn't fumbled like 4 times in that game. You're all jumping on him after 1 year where Favre took over his lockerroom and his players say they hate him, but if you're an OC then the players go back to liking/disliking the head coach, and you don't have that problem.
Originally posted by Cleveland_Niner:
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by Cleveland_Niner:
Holgrem is not going to happen. He said he is committed to fulfilling his obligation and contract in Cleveland. Be it as Vice President or coach, remains to be seen.

OK, then the guy from SI was totally lied to. I bet his wife LOVES Cleveland instead of their $5M house in Santa Cruz...bet she's thrilled about Ohio.

I am just saying, he has total say in Cleveland. He will not get that here with Praage and Jed.

I am sure has has sources, but what do those sources say about the contract he signed and that has indicated he would be complete that contract?

If were paying him that much we better at least give a listen he hasn't been in the league this long for no reason. But i want him hear to improve and coach the players if he see's a guy like aj green or he want's to go with trading up for luck to be his qb then i might consider given a listen if he thinks that player will work with what he wants to run aka west coast please.
One of the most intriguing aspects people seem to miss regarding the (looming) lock-out/CBA issues is all the loop-holes which will open up for coaches/coaching staffs, and NFL/franchise-executives.

Once the players are locked-out, with no CBA/anti-trust laws in place over NFL Franchises (which control draft rules/'guerrilla' recruiting/tampering), executives (yes, including guys like Holmgren), can probably walk out of their once 'non-binding' contracts (with of course, giving the money back), and take jobs elsewhere.

[ Edited by SnakePlissken on Nov 26, 2010 at 13:06:13 ]
  • dj43
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
One of the most intriguing aspects people seem to miss regarding the (looming) lock-out/CBA issues is all the loop-holes which will open up for coaches/coaching staffs, and NFL/franchise-executives.

Once the players are locked-out, with no CBA/anti-trust laws in place over NFL Franchises (which control draft rules/'guerrilla' recruiting/tampering), executives (yes, including guys like Holmgren), can probably walk out of their once 'non-binding' contracts (with of course, giving the money back), and take jobs elsewhere.

Brian Billick has a pretty good ear for what is going on in the talks. He has been on important committees in the league and is around a lot of league people in his current job. Last week he predicted that the contract will be settled by March 1 "because there is just too much at stake for both sides to not have it settled by then."

Sponsors will apply a great deal of pressure to make sure they get their money's worth.
I would not be upset if Holgren became the HC, but my dream scenario would be Homgren in a Team President kind of role with Harbaugh as the HC. Jizz my pants I would.
Insert praying smiley
I am confused about why so many think Childress is a good OC. Reid called the plays when Childless was in Philly and the O in Minnesota only started dominating when he had both Favre and Peterson at the top of their game. I question if he really is a good OC.

I wouldnt even question it. Hes not. Hes an awful coach. I have no idea why every fired coach or cut player is suddenly wanted to badly.

lol He's a pretty good OC. Everyone wants to remember how his stint with the Vikes ended and not the fact that he was the HC of a team that went to the NFC championship game or that he was a good OC in the first place and made the playoffs while starting Tarvaris Jackson and Gus Frerotte. I don't understand why you guys hate him, he's not a great HC as far as managing egos and making personnel decisions but he knows offense.

Oh and btw don't forget the fact that damn near everyone in this league has changed teams in FA, been cut, traded, fired, etc. People want guys from other teams because they might be better or as good as the guys on our team and we friggin suck.

You really didn't give any argument for Childress being a good OC. Yes, the Vikes made the playoffs with a crappy QB, but they had a great D and the best combination of running back and offensive line in the league. The offense of the Vikings doesn't appear to be inventive or unpredictable so I don't think Childress is really inventive or creative.

Childress only had one NFL OC position prior to being a HC and that was for the Eagles. While he was the OC of the Eagles Andy Reid called all of the plays so can you really can't grade Childress' OC prowess based on that job.

Yeah but he managed to run against 8 in the box all year. Yes his OLine was great and he had AP, but we have Gore and multiple first rounders on the OLine and we can't do s**t. It's not even always about talent or position coaching on the line, if you're running on 8 in the box succesfully you need to be unpredictable and be a good coordinator to pull that off. That's one of the hardest things to do in football dude. Then he makes the NFC championship game and would've won if Favre hadn't tossed the ball to the other team and AP hadn't fumbled like 4 times in that game. You're all jumping on him after 1 year where Favre took over his lockerroom and his players say they hate him, but if you're an OC then the players go back to liking/disliking the head coach, and you don't have that problem.
No Im not. Im jumping on him for the fact he never called plays in Philly and only once had a top 10 offense, one featuring a HOF QB, borderline LG, Adrian Peterson and a multitude of talent. Woulda Shoulda Coulda. He has no history of being a good OC, period. Childress has always been clueless, even pre Favre, if you pay attention to the NFL. Just a very poor decision maker, in game.

Where are you even getting this '8 in the box' idea? Maybe in 07 and T-Jack was QB, but with Favre? No. Even with him sucking, defenses still respect him.

[ Edited by jojomellon on Nov 26, 2010 at 23:44:30 ]

No Im not. Im jumping on him for the fact he never called plays in Philly and only once had a top 10 offense, one featuring a HOF QB, borderline LG, Adrian Peterson and a multitude of talent. Woulda Shoulda Coulda. He has no history of being a good OC, period. Childress has always been clueless, even pre Favre, if you pay attention to the NFL. Just a very poor decision maker, in game.

Where are you even getting this '8 in the box' idea? Maybe in 07 and T-Jack was QB, but with Favre? No. Even with him sucking, defenses still respect him.

Talking about this:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/min/2008.htm
#1 rushing offense in the league and made the playoffs with 2 garbage QBs. They most definitely had 8 in the box that year.
No he won't.

// End thread.

Talking about this:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/min/2008.htm
#1 rushing offense in the league and made the playoffs with 2 garbage QBs. They most definitely had 8 in the box that year.

Being able to run on 8 in the box does not mean that Childress is a great OC. It is one possible reason thing that could have helped it work, but if Minnesota didn't have AP and the completely dominant O-Line they have it wouldn't have mattered. Yes, Gore can't do it with our Line full of first rounders because our line is garbage most games (they have had a few bright spots like against the Saints). I'm not saying that Childress is the worst OC in the league, but I still don't think he is great either and no one has put up any sort of argument that he is yet.

Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:

Brian Billick has a pretty good ear for what is going on in the talks. He has been on important committees in the league and is around a lot of league people in his current job. Last week he predicted that the contract will be settled by March 1 "because there is just too much at stake for both sides to not have it settled by then."

Sponsors will apply a great deal of pressure to make sure they get their money's worth.

Seriously, it's so simple... sponsors/affiliates/broadcasters give money to franchises (and the NFL) to make money (for themselves) during an active football season (via ratings/return investments). -And when when these affiliates/sponsors are not making money due to a 'DEAD SEASON' without the product on TV... they are most definitely going to opt out/terminate the contracts so they don't get ripped-off!

So much for that bulls**t "the franchises don't have to worry about s**t, the money is still flowing" argument.
Share 49ersWebzone