LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 228 users in the forums

Holmgren sounds like a guy who wants to coach again

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by AZ9er:
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
This would be a dream scenario, Holmgren to come back home and not only coach, but to possibly plant a seed/expand the Bill Walsh coaching tree (back in San Francisco) for future coaches to take over in S.F. after he leaves again/retires for good.

If the Yorks want to sell a stadium, they better take this idea VERY, VERY seriously. -I think Holmgren is seriously ready to coach again, he took a year off to cleanse the 'burn-out' like Shanahan, and now probably has more experience in FO work (than previously).

Complete dream scenario:
-Gruden indeed takes the "Cleveland" Job.
-Holmren departs, and comes back to SF.

Love it!

Or worse Gruden takes the HC job and Holmgren stays as GM.

Honestly, if Holmgren wanted back I would probably hire him although he is up there in age. I'd prefer to hire him as GM only. If he wants to be HC/GM that is too much for a guy of his age or probably most guys any age. Part of me thinks he wants to build the Browns into a championship team (which I wouldn't mind because they have been down for so long). Part of me says maybe he just took the job as a hold over until a better job like SF came long.

You might think I am crazy but the guy was born in SF and spent from 1971-91 coaching in the SF area with a small stint in San Jose and then at BYU (3 years).

So that totals about 17 years in the SF area with 3 in San Jose.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by AZ9er:
This would be a dream scenario, Holmgren to come back home and not only coach, but to possibly plant a seed/expand the Bill Walsh coaching tree (back in San Francisco) for future coaches to take over in S.F. after he leaves again/retires for good.

If the Yorks want to sell a stadium, they better take this idea VERY, VERY seriously. -I think Holmgren is seriously ready to coach again, he took a year off to cleanse the 'burn-out' like Shanahan, and now probably has more experience in FO work (than previously).

Complete dream scenario:
-Gruden indeed takes the "Cleveland" Job.
-Holmren departs, and comes back to SF.

Love it!

Or worse Gruden takes the HC job and Holmgren stays as GM.

Honestly, if Holmgren wanted back I would probably hire him although he is up there in age. I'd prefer to hire him as GM only. If he wants to be HC/GM that is too much for a guy of his age or probably most guys any age. Part of me thinks he wants to build the Browns into a championship team (which I wouldn't mind because they have been down for so long). Part of me says maybe he just took the job as a hold over until a better job like SF came long.

You might think I am crazy but the guy was born in SF and spent from 1971-91 coaching in the SF area with a small stint in San Jose and then at BYU (3 years).

So that totals about 17 years in the SF area with 3 in San Jose.

Heck, Holmgren's (newly-furnished/built) house is only 10-15 miles away from 4949 Cent. Blvd!
Originally posted by horsecore:
How long of a contract did he sign with Cleveland though? I doubt they'd just let him walk so he could coach elsewhere.

If anything, I think he'd coach the Browns as the team has his imprint on it, slightly at least.

I was wondering the same thing.

Heck, Holmgren's (newly-furnished/built) house is only 10-15 miles away from 4949 Cent. Blvd!

Thanks for the info, didn't know that.
He owes us some good season after ending ours 95-97.
Member Milestone: This is post number 2,100 for Gore_21.
Originally posted by NC49erfan82:
He owes us some good season after ending ours 95-97.

QFT, I live about 3 hours from GB and my brother and I would root against the Packers just as hard as we would root our respective teams. Everybody wondered why we hated Favre but I guess they know why now. Funny thing is most GB fans went the route of who is Favre, he never did anything for us, all hail Rodgers after he was a state icon for 15 years. I still don't want the Packers to win but we hate them a little less with Rodgers.

Holmgren, 62, also said he is committed to finishing out the five-year contract he signed with Browns owner Randy Lerner in January, but then he added:

"I made a promise, and I'm going stick with that. Now if I keep wearing a suit or not, we'll see." Sounds like he is making 8-10 million a year as well.

Don't think he will leave making that much and promising to stay. Maybe they boot him out but I doubt it. They have turned around and already look more promising under Holmgren.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Nov 9, 2010 at 4:03 PM ]
I think his last big move in Cleveland will be to bring in Gruden and Holmgren will come over to San Fran.
Originally posted by sachie23:
My thoughts would be please God bring him to San Fran.

This.
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
@Cwing49ers Still think it's going to be Holmgren. He wants to finish the job w/ Cleveland, but I think he's still in love w/ the 49ers gig.

http://twitter.com/YahooSportsNFL

Very interesting
Originally posted by FL9er:
@Cwing49ers Still think it's going to be Holmgren. He wants to finish the job w/ Cleveland, but I think he's still in love w/ the 49ers gig.

Very interesting

Please let the football gods shine down on me and bring Holmgren to the Niners.

Originally posted by Rivers77:

Very interesting

Please let the football gods shine down on me and bring Holmgren to the Niners.

its time for the football gods to shine on this once great franchise, 8 yrs of hell is long enough

Very interesting

No s**t, what sucks is that before we had crowned Singletary, it was 100% obvious that Holmgren was gonna be our next HC (after Nolan), since big H (himself) was gonna be fired that year in Seattle.

We've only been delaying the inevitable. Once Sing's ass is gone, Holmgren's gonna change his tune. Who wouldn't love a gig only 15 miles away from home where you had started your career?
SI's Jim Trotter said in an interview today with Damon Bruce that the 'gut' behavior/grumblings around 49ers HQ (from what he's heard) is that Mike Holmgren will be coaching the 49ers next season. (That "Holmgren is a 'creature' of habit" as a coach, and will ditch the Browns.)

http://www.knbr.com/portals/3/podcasts/damonbruce/1110trotter.mp3

It's all (but)speculation, but it makes a lot of sense if it were the actual scenario; Holmgren reeling Gruden in place as HC/GM, and ditching the Browns to coach the 49ers.
Except contracts are legally binding and Holmgren signed a 5 year contract. Thus why Holmgren sat out 2009, he was still property of the Seahawks even though he had stepped aside as coach.
SI's Jim Trotter said in an interview today with Damon Bruce that the 'gut' behavior/grumblings around 49ers HQ (from what Trotter's heard) is that Mike Holmgren will be coaching the 49ers next season. (That "Holmgren is a 'creature' of habit" as a coach, and would ditch the Browns to coach, given the right 'situation'.)

http://www.knbr.com/portals/3/podcasts/damonbruce/1110trotter.mp3

It's all (but)speculation, but it would make a lot of sense if it were an actual scenario; with Holmgren reeling Gruden in place as HC/GM, and ditching the Browns to coach the 49ers.

It would be a dream come true, but I'm not getting my hopes up (just yet).
Share 49ersWebzone