There are 201 users in the forums

Holmgren sounds like a guy who wants to coach again

Shop 49ers game tickets
Lots of rumors began floating around about a possible return to coaching for Mike Holmgren. He's a local guy who has very strong ties to this organization and has proven he can win. This could be perfect timing!!

Holmgren sounds like a guy who wants to coach again

Opinions??
My thoughts would be please God bring him to San Fran.
IDK a lot of teams are looking for proven coaches.
Holmgren is the only one for sure who could save the 49ers.
[ Edited by blunt_probe on Nov 9, 2010 at 9:56 AM ]
  • titan
  • Veteran
So we have a chance to get him! I hope Man Gina does good all year so he can't get rid of him and he would then leave Cleveland cause of disagreement and he will then come home and bring Josh Cribbs and Peyton Hillis with him. That would be awesome.
I'm afraid this would be the most likely options:

1/ He fires Mangini and coaches for the Browns (while keeping GM duties)
2/ He fires Mangini, coaches Browns and relinquishes GM duties
3/ He keeps GM status, keeps Mangini
4/ He keeps GM status, fires Manginin and hires another coach.

So, coming to the Niners would be way down the list, and he would probably only do it if he gets GM duties too, which isn't great news. So, I dunno.
Originally posted by highwayone:
I'm afraid this would be the most likely options:

1/ He fires Mangini and coaches for the Browns (while keeping GM duties)
2/ He fires Mangini, coaches Browns and relinquishes GM duties
3/ He keeps GM status, keeps Mangini
4/ He keeps GM status, fires Manginin and hires another coach.

So, coming to the Niners would be way down the list, and he would probably only do it if he gets GM duties too, which isn't great news. So, I dunno.

If he wants to be HC and GM I have great reservations. Personally at coach I would prefer a young guy who has everything to prove.
How long of a contract did he sign with Cleveland though? I doubt they'd just let him walk so he could coach elsewhere.

If anything, I think he'd coach the Browns as the team has his imprint on it, slightly at least.
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
Originally posted by titan:
So we have a chance to get him! I hope Man Gina does good all year so he can't get rid of him and he would then leave Cleveland cause of disagreement and he will then come home and bring Josh Cribbs and Peyton Hillis with him. That would be awesome.

Im sure Cleveland would love to void the contracts of Cribbs and Hillis! Very likely scenario!

Originally posted by Ajanke:
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
  • titan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jojomellon:
Originally posted by titan:

Im sure Cleveland would love to void the contracts of Cribbs and Hillis! Very likely scenario!

So is getting Holmgren!
I would love it if Holmgren came here. He could team up with Baalke to run the front office and he would be a major, major upgrade at HC.
This would be a dream scenario, Holmgren to come back home and not only coach, but to possibly plant a seed/expand the Bill Walsh coaching tree (back in San Francisco) for future coaches to take over in S.F. after he leaves again/retires for good.

If the Yorks want to sell a stadium, they better take this idea VERY, VERY seriously. -I think Holmgren is seriously ready to coach again, he took a year off to cleanse the 'burn-out' like Shanahan, and now probably has more experience in FO work (than previously).

Complete dream scenario:
-Gruden indeed takes the "Cleveland" Job.
-Holmren departs, and comes back to SF.
[ Edited by SnakePlissken on Nov 9, 2010 at 12:12 PM ]
  • AZ9er
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
This would be a dream scenario, Holmgren to come back home and not only coach, but to possibly plant a seed/expand the Bill Walsh coaching tree (back in San Francisco) for future coaches to take over in S.F. after he leaves again/retires for good.

If the Yorks want to sell a stadium, they better take this idea VERY, VERY seriously. -I think Holmgren is seriously ready to coach again, he took a year off to cleanse the 'burn-out' like Shanahan, and now probably has more experience in FO work (than previously).

Complete dream scenario:
-Gruden indeed takes the "Cleveland" Job.
-Holmren departs, and comes back to SF.

Love it!
Share 49ersWebzone