There are 265 users in the forums

Head Coach options for the 49ers in 2011: Who do you like and why?

Shop 49ers game tickets

Head Coach options for the 49ers in 2011: Who do you like and why?

Originally posted by Kolohe:
None of the above past NFL HC. Although I do like John Gruden, he wouldn't be my first choice. I'd either want an OC in the NFL or a college coach (yes Jim Harbaugh) or Boise St.'s HC Chris Peterson.
yeah, and i dont wanna see a college guy as our HC if he hasnt collected any experience in the nfl yet. dont wanna be a test object.
Originally posted by communist:
None of the above past NFL HC. Although I do like John Gruden, he wouldn't be my first choice. I'd either want an OC in the NFL or a college coach (yes Jim Harbaugh) or Boise St.'s HC Chris Peterson.
yeah, and i dont wanna see a college guy as our HC if he hasnt collected any experience in the nfl yet. dont wanna be a test object.

Chris Petersen would be about as bad of a choice that we could ever make. If his crazy passing offense doesn't work he's out as quick as possible and back in college. The guy is not going to be a sub par NFL coach we can win that easily in college be rock star and have a job for life.

Brian Shottenheimer right now would be my number one choice. The Jets seem to get everything.
Originally posted by tjd808185:

Chris Petersen would be about as bad of a choice that we could ever make. If his crazy passing offense doesn't work he's out as quick as possible and back in college. The guy is not going to be a sub par NFL coach we can win that easily in college be rock star and have a job for life.

Brian Shottenheimer right now would be my number one choice. The Jets seem to get everything.

I live in NY and I absolutely despise them. They catch every single break. Its sickening.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

tjd I can't really debate with you about if Peterson would be successful or not in the NFL, because it would be never ending with no real outcome. But I will say this, his offenses can put up some points and has had nothing but success regardless who his players are.
I don't watch any Redskins games, but can anyone give us some insight on Kyle Shannahan? Does he have the makings of a good NFL coach?
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DynastyPart2:
I don't watch any Redskins games, but can anyone give us some insight on Kyle Shannahan? Does he have the makings of a good NFL coach?

Pretty good play calling. but I think he's way too young to be a HC right now.
Originally posted by Hopper:
Originally posted by DynastyPart2:

Pretty good play calling. but I think he's way too young to be a HC right now.

Plus, I think he'll stay on his Dad's staff. I read somewhere that the Redskins have already discussed Kyle being his succssor when Mike is ready to retire from coaching.

tjd I can't really debate with you about if Peterson would be successful or not in the NFL, because it would be never ending with no real outcome. But I will say this, his offenses can put up some points and has had nothing but success regardless who his players are.

Here's the problem I have. If he struggles at all he's going to get flooded with offers from colleges. High profile jobs, good money, best job security you could ever have. That's going to look alot better than the NFL grind.

I'm not really trying to say his offense won't fly in the NFL I'm just saying the second he hits a road block we're going to have look over our backs to see if some college isn't trying to steal him.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran

Here's the problem I have. If he struggles at all he's going to get flooded with offers from colleges. High profile jobs, good money, best job security you could ever have. That's going to look alot better than the NFL grind.

I'm not really trying to say his offense won't fly in the NFL I'm just saying the second he hits a road block we're going to have look over our backs to see if some college isn't trying to steal him.

Dan Hawkins:

Boise State (2001-2005): 53–11 Conference: 37–3

Colorado (2005- ): 19–35 Conference: 10–23 Road Record: 2-22

Dirk Koetter:

Boise State (1998-2000): 26-10 Conference: 12-4

Arizona St(2000-2006): 40-34 Conference: 21-28 2006: terminated

Jacksonville (Offensive Coordinators): total offense: 2007: 7th, 2008: 20th, 2009: 18th, 2010: 22nd
Originally posted by Jcool:

Dan Hawkins:

Dirk Koetter:

Jacksonville (Offensive Coordinators): total offense: 2007: 7th, 2008: 20th, 2009: 18th, 2010: 22nd

If you're trying to say that previous Boise coaches have failed elsewhere and Petersen wouldn't be a hot commodity I'm just going to point you to USC trying to nab him last summer.

He's Urban Meyer Jr. The guy could get any collegiate job he wanted.

idk if anyone saw it but on NFL GameDay Morning they(I think Mike Lombardi) said Jon Gruden is likely to be the next 49ers head coach if Singletary gets the boot at the end of the season which is almost certain
  • Jcool
  • Veteran

Dan Hawkins:

Dirk Koetter:

If you're trying to say that previous Boise coaches have failed elsewhere and Petersen wouldn't be a hot commodity I'm just going to point you to USC trying to nab him last summer.

No what i am saying is that every Boise State head coach has had great success while at Boise and once they left they were never able to duplicate it.
Originally posted by AJ_Larrea954:
idk if anyone saw it but on NFL GameDay Morning they(I think Mike Lombardi) said Jon Gruden is likely to be the next 49ers head coach if Singletary gets the boot at the end of the season which is almost certain

i really want someone like him: offensive background, former nfl hc who knows the rules and time management.

i think with a goog HC we can be a top10 team and of course a with a good qb

Dan Hawkins:

Dirk Koetter:

No what i am saying is that every Boise State head coach has had great success while at Boise and once they left they were never able to duplicate it.

I rather think about Chris Petersen as a GM. No previous BSU was a real good team. Maybe barely a top 20 team including 2006.
They put up points but so does Nevada in the WAC. But current BSU may be a legit top 10 team and it is amazing small college like BSU could do it.
Originally posted by znk916:
no retreads please, gimme harbaugh

Gruden flamed out in TB because he could never find a QB either

Billick lucked into a great Ravens defense and never fixed the offense, which was his background

Cowher can't bring Dick LeBeau along

This.
Just keep remembering the last coach we got from Stanford.
Share 49ersWebzone