Rep the Red & Gold: Shop 49ers Gear →

There are 781 users in the forums

Taylor Mays traded to the Bengals

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by toeknee:
Hopefully it turns into a third. Who else are their safetys?

Reggie Nelson and some scrub
Originally posted by 5280High:
A) tracked that source of the 4th round rumor down to a poster on 49ers.com who said he talked to his buddy inside the organization... so it could be complete BS. However, the fact there were 5 inquiries and 3 offers means we probably got a 5th or better IMO. But again so far the only facts reporters have published are who offered, not what they offered.

B) Any draft pick for a player who was about to be cut is a win in my book. These coaches had no ties to him, if he didnt fit then ship him out.

I'm with you, any draft pick for someone we were going to cut is good business. It also shows that Baalke is cleaning up the house. So if Rachal, Davis can not cut it then hopefully we can trade and get a draft pick for them as well. Thank you Taylor you have been a service to the Niners.
  • mod
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 42,464
Rey Mauluga, Keith Rivers, Taylor Mays and Frostee Rucker...

USC Defense Class Reunion
He wasn't going to make the team anyway.
wow im surprised we got more than a 7th...
Someone was saying 4th with a chance at 3rd if he plays 80% of the time. Still a 4th from the Bengals will likely be really early meaning it's almost equivalent to a late 3rd. Would be cool if it bumped up to one of the first picks in the 3rd. Then we would not have lost much. As it stands now he is pick 49 and we will probably get around pick 100-102. I wouldn't have given up on him so early. As for last year I didn't want him but I was glad he was pick 49 and a SS and not pick 17 and a FS. That would have been much much worse. Lastly, though you guys are probably right... he was most likely going to get cut so if we got a potential high 4th it's not bad.

Edit: Bengals depth chart for S:

SS Chris Crocker Gibril Wilson Jeromy Miles
FS Reggie Nelson Tom Nelson Robert Sands

I would say he has much better shot at 80% if he was a FS. He probably would be their 3rd or 4th best safety. Reggie has struggled in the past and would be easier to over take then both Crocker and Gibril Wilson.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Aug 22, 2011 at 10:26 PM ]
great trade for the stupid singletary pick, hope he sees lots of time on their d. might as well put him in since their d isnt gonna be good anyways
we got a 4th which possibly might turn into a 3rd?


[ Edited by YungAce on Aug 22, 2011 at 10:16 PM ]
^
Originally posted by modninerfan:
Rey Mauluga, Keith Rivers, Taylor Mays and Frostee Rucker...

USC Defense Class Reunion

They can all reminisce about 4 things from their USC-days: Winning, playing for a packed home crowd, being on national television, and taking home tax-free envelopes of "straight cash, Homie!"
[ Edited by IWASATTHECATCH on Aug 23, 2011 at 1:09 AM ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
  • Posts: 122,147
So what did we get for him ?
link

Quote:
There is no official word yet on the pick the 49ers acquired from the Cincinnati Bengals in the Taylor Mays trade. We do however, have our first unsubstantiated rumor courtesy of of Stripe Hype. The rumor is that the 49ers are getting a fourth round pick that could bump up to a third round pick if Mays plays in at least 80% of defensive snaps this season.

Until this rumor is substantiated, I find it questionable at best. The only reason I can believe such a rumor is if the Bengals felt they had no chance to get Mays on the free agency market, given that they are in fact the Cincinnati Bengals. If that's the case, then maybe I could see overpaying for a player they'd have under fairly inexpensive control through the 2013 season. He has base salaries that escalate to no higher than $575,000 and while I'm not certain, I don't think they would take the cap hit on his rookie signing bonus. I thought it was the trading team that took the hit, but I could be wrong.

If the 49ers do get this kind of pick, I'd say that's a fairly solid return when you hold little leverage. The team seemed intent on unloading Mays and likely would have cut him by the time rosters got down to 53 players. It's never fun to give up on a high pick, but getting something in return is better than nothing. More to come on this developing situation.
1) Stupid draft pick from prior regime
2) Trade for 4th round pick
3) Package some drafts picks and possible player and shove it down Raheem Morris' throat in exchange for Johnson
4) Profit
Originally posted by OregonNiner87:
1) Stupid draft pick from prior regime
2) Trade for 4th round pick
3) Package some drafts picks and possible player and shove it down Raheem Morris' throat in exchange for Johnson
4) Profit


I dont think its wise to trade picks for a 3rd string QB who is unlikely to play this year that we could easily get next year for cheap.
Well I guess it wouldnt mind if it was like when we traded a 7th round pick and Dorsey for Dilfer. Maybe give a 7th and McCown? Ha!
Originally posted by GoGetit:
First he wasn't given a chance early in camp. Trent made a huge blunder in sending out the email to the 31 teams because he was trying to get back at Sing. Our leadership in very unprofessional and green. We'll see how far Fangio and his defense last this season. I think Taylor handle himself with class and dignity. It shows that he comes from a high end family$. I for one wish him the best and I HOPE this comes back to haunt Trent and the rest of our administration. You don't treat people like this..even in business setting. You use the players strengths don't knock is weaknesses as an excuse.

That's quite a stereotype you have identified!
Open Menu Search Share 49ersWebzone