LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 315 users in the forums

Aaron Rodgers....where would we be?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Originally posted by Chief:
Originally posted by LAFortyNinerfan:
lol, you Alex Smith guys are friggin crazy.

Rodgers is 4 times the QB, Smith will never be as good.

You're wasting your time. Btw, I wouldn't say Rodgers is 4 times better. I'd say more along the lines of 2.5 to 3 times better. Ok maybe 4. Hopefully Smith can narrow the gap this season.

Have you read this thread?

It is completely crazy how far people will go because of denial... I want the kid to be a good QB, but really?

Rodgers is elite, Smith is a scrub next to him... Supporting cast or not, watch the two guys play. It is night and day.

It's quite hilarious. The blind homers don't want to give any credit to Rodgers. He is, and always has been, inherently better than Smith. I love how people believe that he'd be the same QB as Smith in our situation...that's the dumbest s**t I've ever heard. If that were true, then why not invest ONLY in coaching, lol.

These people would have you believe that QBs are all equal and that it's only about the quality of the tit they suck on that separates them...BULLLLLLSH!T

All QBs are not created equal.

Tell that to Tom brady when his OL was bad in the super bowl and he had MOSS and WELKER and choked! You have to realize that some qb's are of course better than others BUT GIVEN the same situation then you can make a FAIR judgment. If Rogers was on the niners when Smith was with the worst OL in football the last 3 years, given that rogers holds onto the ball longer, he would not only done worse but got sacked MORE! logic.....please use it. Not Homerism, logic!
My gawd...just watch Rodgers and you see how beastly this dude is.
Originally posted by elguapo:

You're wasting your time. Btw, I wouldn't say Rodgers is 4 times better. I'd say more along the lines of 2.5 to 3 times better. Ok maybe 4. Hopefully Smith can narrow the gap this season.

It is completely crazy how far people will go because of denial... I want the kid to be a good QB, but really?

Rodgers is elite, Smith is a scrub next to him... Supporting cast or not, watch the two guys play. It is night and day.

It's quite hilarious. The blind homers don't want to give any credit to Rodgers. He is, and always has been, inherently better than Smith. I love how people believe that he'd be the same QB as Smith in our situation...that's the dumbest s**t I've ever heard. If that were true, then why not invest ONLY in coaching, lol.

These people would have you believe that QBs are all equal and that it's only about the quality of the tit they suck on that separates them...BULLLLLLSH!T

Tell that to Tom brady when his OL was bad in the super bowl and he had MOSS and WELKER and choked! You have to realize that some qb's are of course better than others BUT GIVEN the same situation then you can make a FAIR judgment. If Rogers was on the niners when Smith was with the worst OL in football the last 3 years, given that rogers holds onto the ball longer, he would not only done worse but got sacked MORE! logic.....please use it. Not Homerism, logic!

I love how all of a sudden we have "the worst OL in football for the past 3 years." LOL. There's no arguing this point...Rodgers is, and always has been, the better QB. Our team would be better had we drafted him. It's absurd to think otherwise.

Nobody is blaming us for taking Smith...who knew back then? Not many. But we were wrong. Not the first time it happened to a team, and definitely won't be the last.
I don't think anyone is arguing about how good or elite Rodgers is/has become.

The question was "where would we be?" That's a whole different issue.

All I'm saying is (and it's not a stretch) that assuming Rodgers went through the same thing Smith went through, WE (as in the 49ers as a whole) might still be an 8-8 team. I think Rodgers would have developed a lot quicker (since he was more pro ready) but as a team I don't think we'd be much different.

But I do think Rodgers would be the unquestioned QB of the future for us unlike Smith who still has lingering question marks. Again though this shouldn't be Earth shattering. Smith was always a project QB who was taken way too early. He needed to be drafted by a team that was intent on really DEVELOPING a QB (ironically a team like the Packers). Maybe Indy would have been an excellent fit. The 49ers were the worst possible fit for Smith.

Anyway what's done is done. Just have to root for the guy we have and if Smith fails he's done. End of story.

I have read this thread. That's how I know you're spinning your wheels. People are convinced that all qb talent is equal in the right situation, which makes me wonder why Matt Lienart still doesn't look like half the player Rodgers is.

I have read this thread. That's how I know you're spinning your wheels. People are convinced that all qb talent is equal in the right situation, which makes me wonder why Matt Lienart still doesn't look like half the player Rodgers is.

Leinart doesn't have half the heart or work ethic.

Hell JaMarcbust Russel can launch 60 yard passes but it really doesn't mean much when you don't give a sht. It comes down a lot of things other than just raw talent.
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:

Leinart doesn't have half the heart or work ethic.

Hell JaMarcbust Russel can launch 60 yard passes but it really doesn't mean much when you don't give a sht. It comes down a lot of things other than just raw talent.

Of course a player has to put in the work. I've heard nothing but positives about Lienart's work ethic over the past couple of years. But he still doesn't look like anything special when watching him play, despite being in a great situation.

He would have takens sacks, but he also would have made plays. Something Alex has never done. You can't make the assumption that just because Alex got hurt in years 3 and 4 Rodgers would have been hurt too. We all know that Rodgers can take the beating. He's played with a p*ss poor line since he's been in Green Bay. The guy has taken 50 sacks before and still put up 4,000 yards and a 100 rating. He's just tougher than Alex in every way.

Hell as far I'm concerned if Smith was drafted to the Pack Brett Favre would still be their QB. They'd look at that bum in practice and be like is getting p*ssed on by Favre really worse than him.

[ Edited by tjd808185 on Aug 22, 2010 at 10:25:51 ]
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tjd808185:

He would have takens sacks, but he also would have made plays. Something Alex has never done. You can't make the assumption that just because Alex got hurt in years 3 and 4 Rodgers would have been hurt too. We all know that Rodgers can take the beating. He's played with a p*ss poor line since he's been in Green Bay. The guy has taken 50 sacks before and still put up 4,000 yards and a 100 rating. He's just tougher than Alex in every way.

Hell as far I'm concerned if Smith was drafted to the Pack Brett Favre would still be their QB. They'd look at that bum in practice and be like is getting p*ssed on by Favre really worse than him.

Rodgers is a top 10 QB (not top 5, even though good he is a bit overrated) in the league no matter what team you put him on, Smith has not proven he even deserves to be in the top 15. Can he blow up and become a great QB all the sudden? Sure, but I don't think its likely, in fact I think it is highly unlikely. I would be so happy to be wrong, because I like the kid and love the 49ers... but I have been watching this guy for years and I have seen 1 game where I was happy with his performance and saw real potential.
If he sustained the same injuries.........who knows?

Originally posted by tjd808185:

Rodgers is a top 10 QB (not top 5, even though good he is a bit overrated) in the league no matter what team you put him on, Smith has not proven he even deserves to be in the top 15. Can he blow up and become a great QB all the sudden? Sure, but I don't think its likely, in fact I think it is highly unlikely. I would be so happy to be wrong, because I like the kid and love the 49ers... but I have been watching this guy for years and I have seen 1 game where I was happy with his performance and saw real potential.

you can't possibly know that Rodgers would be a top 10 QB on our team if we'd drafted him.
look at Cassell.

Dude was the sh*t with all of the N.E. Patriot weapons.

With the K.C.Chiefs now, he's looking like Tim Rattay.
  • titan
  • Veteran
I know it's just pre season, but Rodgers is Murdering DB's!!!!!!!No more excuse about how Roddgers sat behind a hall of fame QB! that is all crap. He sat behind Favre and threatend Favre spot in GB. So I don't think Favre baby sat him to be awesome. All that show is Rodgers has astrong will and is mentally strong. I don't want to bring other young QB's in this conversation, but there are lot of young QB's that were thrown to the wolves and are able to succeed. Matt Ryan,Joe Flaco,Schaub,Sanchez,
and even Kyle Orton. But to say the only reason why Rodgers is successful is because he sat behind Favre is crazy.

Originally posted by tac22:
This vid makes me sad. Don't get me wrong, I am pumped for what we are going to do this season but there is no denying that QB is our biggest question mark...in a QB driven league

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=5473874&categoryid=2378529

Share 49ersWebzone