LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 339 users in the forums

Tom Brady...a 49er in 2011?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by ImaMod:
Originally posted by ImaMod:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Brady's base salary this season is 3.4 million dollars. With the 30% rule in place it complicates how much he can actually make on a contract extension.

I think both sides wait til this deal expires, and plot their next move after that. If New England takes another step back this season they could go into official rebuild mode. Don't forget that New England has Oakland's pick this offseason. They could be in perfect position to land Brady's replacement. Also the franchise tag is up in the air this year. I know it seems ridiculous that New England would let Brady go, but I think there's a strong possibility of that happening.

And if Brady does hit the market, we seriously need to be the front runners for him. Even if he were up for trade, give NE a 1st, 3rd, 5th round picks and Alex Smith in return for Brady ASAP. Man they would have 3 1st round picks, they rebuild their offense all in one season with a 1st round that could possibly look like this:

1a. Ryan Mallet, Jake Locker, Andrew LLuck

1b. Mark Ingram, Ryan Williams, DeMarco Murray

1c. AJ Green, Julio Jones, Jonathan Baldwin

And if we made that trade they'd still be good enough to be a possible wild card, which isn't too much of a drop off.

A 1st, a 3rd, a 5th and our starting qb? Are you serious? That would go down as the 49ers second OJ Simpson deal.

No.
Originally posted by English:
Brady's base salary this season is 3.4 million dollars. With the 30% rule in place it complicates how much he can actually make on a contract extension.

I think both sides wait til this deal expires, and plot their next move after that. If New England takes another step back this season they could go into official rebuild mode. Don't forget that New England has Oakland's pick this offseason. They could be in perfect position to land Brady's replacement. Also the franchise tag is up in the air this year. I know it seems ridiculous that New England would let Brady go, but I think there's a strong possibility of that happening.

And if Brady does hit the market, we seriously need to be the front runners for him. Even if he were up for trade, give NE a 1st, 3rd, 5th round picks and Alex Smith in return for Brady ASAP. Man they would have 3 1st round picks, they rebuild their offense all in one season with a 1st round that could possibly look like this:

1a. Ryan Mallet, Jake Locker, Andrew LLuck

1b. Mark Ingram, Ryan Williams, DeMarco Murray

1c. AJ Green, Julio Jones, Jonathan Baldwin

And if we made that trade they'd still be good enough to be a possible wild card, which isn't too much of a drop off.

A 1st, a 3rd, a 5th and our starting qb? Are you serious? That would go down as the 49ers second OJ Simpson deal.

No.

It's possible that we might not have to give them anything. The franchise tag is not a guarantee as of right now so if the union fights it and Brady has no deal by that time cha ching.

There's no way we can give them Alex though because he's a free agent as well. If he fails this year we're obviously not going to sign him just to use him as trade bait.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Jun 6, 2010 at 8:47 AM ]
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Originally posted by 5ringsLookinFor6:
I'd rather have Alex Smith play good and not have QB as a question at the end of the year.

So would all of us, like most of us has said, IF Smith doesn't pan out, we SHOULD pick him up.

I don't recall you saying that, at least not in this thread anyway. According to you we should trade Smith, a 1st, a 3rd, AND a 5th for a then 34 year old immobile QB on the downside of his career, not to mention the knee injury.

That would be the most ridiculous trade ever. I'm not saying Brady is no good anymore, but definitely not worth what you're willing to give up. Think about why the Pats would be willing to part ways with the guy who won them 3 SB's. They know more than you or I, and maybe that's that he just doesn't have it anymore.

It's like no one remembers the last playoff game Brady played in. He sucked.

They know their window closed and they have to rebuild. That's not saying Brady still can't get it done though.

As for Alex. I want a QB that can win us a Super Bowl. I hope Alex can lead us to the playoffs this year, but if it's in Tavaris Jackson/ Kerry Collins like fashion it's time to get proactive and bring in someone who can make us an actual contender. The reality of the league is unless you have a franchise quarterback you're not going to be a consisant contender.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Jun 6, 2010 at 9:01 AM ]
I'd rather have Alex Smith play good and not have QB as a question at the end of the year.

So would all of us, like most of us has said, IF Smith doesn't pan out, we SHOULD pick him up.

I don't recall you saying that, at least not in this thread anyway. According to you we should trade Smith, a 1st, a 3rd, AND a 5th for a then 34 year old immobile QB on the downside of his career, not to mention the knee injury.

That would be the most ridiculous trade ever. I'm not saying Brady is no good anymore, but definitely not worth what you're willing to give up. Think about why the Pats would be willing to part ways with the guy who won them 3 SB's. They know more than you or I, and maybe that's that he just doesn't have it anymore.

lol and you're a 49er fan? What happened with Joe Montana? Joe had 4 SB's.
Originally posted by WheresWaldo:

wtf does being a 49er fan have to do with what I said. Joe doesn't belong in this conversation.

wtf does being a 49er fan have to do with what I said. Joe doesn't belong in this conversation.

How doesn't he? Why would we get rid of a quarterback that won us 4 SB's? I'm just making a point here.

How doesn't he? Why would we get rid of a quarterback that won us 4 SB's? I'm just making a point here.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. Obviously the team felt it was better to part ways. We had Steve Young in the wings. Yeah hold onto an old QB for nostalgia's sake. You'll be successful.

The point I'M trying to make is that Brady's borderline washed up. If he wasn't, this thread would not exist. For those of you that think he's going to come here and be the QB he was 3+ years ago, you're delusional.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. Obviously the team felt it was better to part ways. We had Steve Young in the wings. Yeah hold onto an old QB for nostalgia's sake. You'll be successful.

The point I'M trying to make is that Brady's borderline washed up. If he wasn't, this thread would not exist. For those of you that think he's going to come here and be the QB he was 3+ years ago, you're delusional.

He'd be solid for at least 2 more years. That's just my opinion and BTW Joe defeated us as Chief so....

He'd be solid for at least 2 more years. That's just my opinion and BTW Joe defeated us as Chief so....

As for your opinion, you're definitely entitled to it, but Brady is not Joe. Never will be. But that's a different topic so

Brett Favre says hi.

If the Patriots get rid of Tom it's because New England's window of oppurtunity closed. End of story. They don't know if he can succeed elsewhere, and you're delusional if you think they do know that. You really think that we thought Joe was going to lead the Chiefs to 2 AFC title games?
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Jun 6, 2010 at 10:25 AM ]
Anybody looks good behind a great oline, and a great oline coach.

Just ask that dude that plays quarterback now for the Chiefs.
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
Anybody looks good behind a great oline, and a great oline coach.

Just ask that dude that plays quarterback now for the Chiefs.

That line hasn't been great since Damien Woody left. There's a reason why they operate in the Shotgun more than any other team in the league.

Brett Favre says hi

OMG Brett Favre now? Eff you guys I'm done.
Share 49ersWebzone