LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 241 users in the forums

The case for Jamarcus Russel

Shop 49ers game tickets
If he gets cut, there is not ONE team in the league that would pick him up. He has shown no potential, no poise, no presence and has come off as lackadaisical and lazy. He hasnt shown any of the decision making tools in the NFL and has battled weight problems from the get go.
feel sorry for somebody who has millions of dollars? naw i'm good
  • dj43
Originally posted by skeetskeet:
If he gets cut, there is not ONE team in the league that would pick him up. He has shown no potential, no poise, no presence and has come off as lackadaisical and lazy. He hasnt shown any of the decision making tools in the NFL and has battled weight problems from the get go.

It is always sad to see a young person with all the tools to be a success...except personal discipline.

You're right. No one is going to give him a chance in the NFL. If he wants to stay in football, he will have to go to Canada for a couple of good years before anyone in the NFL will take a chance with him.
Here are some highlights of a recent Outside the Lines episode focusing on Russell, compiled by the San Francisco Chronicle and clip from ESPN.

1. Dominic Rhodes said Russell would often fall asleep in meetings: "Is that the guy that's going to lead us? . . . I don't think he has that mindset to be great."

2. An anonymous ex-coach said Russell was a "binge eater."

3. Former Raider offensive lineman Jeremy Newberry said Russell was way out of shape and "more comfortable with a role as a backup."

4. Former Raiders quarterback Andrew Walter blamed the Raiders some: "If he was drafted by somebody else, it could be completely different," Walter said.

Other than that, the report was fairly positive.

link

interesting quote from Walter, how much of it is the Raiders and how much of it is Russell?
Originally posted by jreff22:
The 1 kid who doesn't deserve any excuses in the NFL is Jamarcus

Yeah If he wasn't such an a*****e and tried, I would've gave him a pass. He was in a horrible situation in Oakland but I don't think he'll ever be a starting QB.

i.e Byron Leftwich 2.0
If he gets cut somebody will take a chance on him on a 1 year deal at least. The Raiders won't end up cutting him for that exact reason, they're scared that he'll go somewhere else and be the quarterback they drafted him to be.
Originally posted by foreign49er:
If he gets cut somebody will take a chance on him on a 1 year deal at least. The Raiders won't end up cutting him for that exact reason, they're scared that he'll go somewhere else and be the quarterback they drafted him to be.

uh ohhhhhhhhh
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
First off I would like to say that I hate the raiders and they are the trash of the NFL.

With that being said I just feel bad for anyone who is drafted to that team.

Some of their players I loved in college: and still root for today:
1 Darren McFadden RB
2 Samson Sattali C
3 Nandi Asamougah CB (Cal boy)

Here are 5 reasons why people cannot label a 24 yr old QB a bust:

1) He plays for the worst decision making team in the NFL. They never address needs on the team but instead pick the sexy players.

2) He has the worst Oline in the NFL (skins a close second)
NO LT and Gallery at LG is about as good as David Baas and he has no RG and Barnes at RT is very average.

3) Almost 75% of every time he drops back to pass he has less than 3 seconds to get rid of the ball.

4) The coaching is aweful in Oakland.

5) He has very average receivers (Heywardbay and Higgins and that aweful guy Walker)

With that being sad I just think he deserves a second chance. Hell Jason Campbell got his second chance why cant he. Also David Carr has now 3 chances.

There are not many teams who will give him a shot but these few make sense:

1) Jacksonville- The jags have absolutley no one behind David shaky Guarrard and this team makes the most sense for him, They already have a much better offensive line than the Raiders and I think it is a good fit. He would have to resructure his contract though.

2) Vikings- Brett Fart is on his last year and they used to have a guy named Dante Culpepper.

3)Tampa Bay-Josh Freeman is a young growing QB and he really doesnt have anybody to compete with him for the starting job. (they just drafted Jevan Snead though)

4) Bills- A lot of Qb's there but they will get rid of Fitzpatrick which could leave room for another QB maybe Bulger or Russel.

I would never want him to be in a Niner uniform but I think he deserves another shot.

You can't improve someone who doesn't want to improve. He and his family are VERY happy with "earning" $30 million in 3 or 4 years.

Hell, I would be happy earning $2 million in that time. He's a lost cause.
He has his own case - a case of Krispy Kreme Double Chocolates.
Share 49ersWebzone