There are 248 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Why is the Super Bowl the most watched event?

Why do people in so many countries watch the big game when football is only played in a few countries?

I am asking because I look at the numbers every year and I am always amazed at how many people view a gmae that they could care less about.

Your thoughts?
I know a few people from a couple different countries in Europe, and they say they love watching the NFL.
nothin like seeing a bunch of big sweaty men ram into each other over and over and over
Because there are many, many people that like watching football regardless of what teams are playing.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Because it is the championship.
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:
Because there are many, many people that like watching football regardless of what teams are playing.

So why wouldn't the numbers be this high during the regular season, or the playoffs as well?
Because it's the best sport in the world with the most bad ass motherf**kers in the world playing in the greatest nation in the world.
Because there is a big deal made over it and people are curious to see what the big deal is.

Having lived in Ireland for quite some time, there is zero attention brought to the NFL during the regular season. However for the Superbowl there are commercials on TV and there are always articles in newspapers and magazines involving the SUperbowl.

Also this is less of a factor but over here, regular season games can only be viewed by more expensive cable packages. Where as the Superbowl is shown on a lot more basic channels and thus has an even wider audience.
Originally posted by Chief:
Because it is the championship.

This might have something to do with it, plus american football is what we are know for in sports.
That simple, its not.

World Cup final > Super bowl. only 100 million Americans watched the SB this year, and its was the biggest ever. So 2/3 of this country didn't watch it. Majority of SB viewers are American.
Originally posted by glorydayz:

So why wouldn't the numbers be this high during the regular season, or the playoffs as well?

Because it's the f**king Super Bowl.
  • luv49rs
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by glorydayz:

Because it's the f**king Super Bowl.

lol
I'd love to know what everyone here thinks the number is?

A frequently-misquoted[9][10] figure from NFL press releases has led to the common perception that the Super Bowl has an annual global audience of around one billion people. In fact, the NFL states one billion as the game's potential worldwide audience – i.e. the number of people able to watch the game.[11] Independent studies suggest that the average global viewership is just over 100 million, the vast majority[quantify] of whom are U.S. viewers.[9] This is comparable with the final of the European UEFA Champions League [12][13] making both the most watched annual sporting events (both the 4-yearly Olympic Games and FIFA World Cup exceed this total).
Thats alot of peeps
  • crzy
  • Veteran
Other countries don't really care about the Super Bowl.