There are 114 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Nate Davis thread

Originally posted by Peanut49:
Originally posted by ninerfan818:
Originally posted by TRAVELER_9ER:
We never know what you have till it is tried. We use the learning disability or bad O/l as excuses not to start Davis. The fact remains some players have it some don't. We'll never know if all we see is that player sitting the sideline. I think Davis needs to be elevated to #2 back up and allow him to work with some of the starters, next season.

Absolutely. I loved what I saw in pre-season and sure he may need to learn the plays and get an off season to fully understand the system. But if they are even going to play the learning disability card then they are bigger idiots for wasting the draft pick

My thoughts are that he has better physical tools and mental tools than either Smith or Hill. An offseason and the same attention that the team wasted on Smith he will be a much better QB.

That is based on what I witnessed in the pre-season and the fact that Mcnabb also has faith in the kid. Hell they don't even know who Smith is and he is almost in year 6. Go niners and honestly what has Alex got to prove against two of the worst teams in the NFL. He has more to lose if he stinks it up. I think Nate Davis the 6 plays he knows (qouted in another post) could probably beat Detroit and St. Louis.

Go Niners.

How do you know Nate has better physical and mental tools than Alex? You're a fan, not an NFL scout. You would probably think best to understand why Nate only knows/knew six plays. He fell so far, because his intelligence was a huge issue.(not his dyslexia) Alex over thinks plays and I see it as Nate isn't able to think enough.(ball state is good I hear) Nate Davis isn't the 2nd coming of Tom Brady so leave it be. A diamond in the rough is still a diamond, Nate is just a rock.

yah if Nate is a rock Smith is a twenty ton f**king anchor.
Nate Davis for starting QB 2010!!!
Originally posted by Peanut49:
Originally posted by TRAVELER_9ER:
We never know what you have till it is tried. We use the learning disability or bad O/l as excuses not to start Davis. The fact remains some players have it some don't. We'll never know if all we see is that player sitting the sideline. I think Davis needs to be elevated to #2 back up and allow him to work with some of the starters, next season.

Absolutely. I loved what I saw in pre-season and sure he may need to learn the plays and get an off season to fully understand the system. But if they are even going to play the learning disability card then they are bigger idiots for wasting the draft pick

My thoughts are that he has better physical tools and mental tools than either Smith or Hill. An offseason and the same attention that the team wasted on Smith he will be a much better QB.

That is based on what I witnessed in the pre-season and the fact that Mcnabb also has faith in the kid. Hell they don't even know who Smith is and he is almost in year 6. Go niners and honestly what has Alex got to prove against two of the worst teams in the NFL. He has more to lose if he stinks it up. I think Nate Davis the 6 plays he knows (qouted in another post) could probably beat Detroit and St. Louis.

Go Niners.

How do you know Nate has better physical and mental tools than Alex? You're a fan, not an NFL scout. You would probably think best to understand why Nate only knows/knew six plays. He fell so far, because his intelligence was a huge issue.(not his dyslexia) Alex over thinks plays and I see it as Nate isn't able to think enough.(ball state is good I hear) Nate Davis isn't the 2nd coming of Tom Brady so leave it be. A diamond in the rough is still a diamond, Nate is just a rock.

Stupid? I never saw anywhere but here that he was stupid. I've seen various columns that speculated as to why he dropped to the fifth round. The most common theory was the outcome of his last two games, and then there were the thoughts that his learning disability would hinder his ability to learn an offense. I don't remember seeing anywhere that he was stupid, or that teams thought he was stupid. Maybe the fact that the coaching staff spent all pre-season with the QB competition between Alex and Shaun had something to do with him knowing a limited number of plays.

And Ball State is actually good. It is one of the top schools in the nation academically for several programs including education, telecommunications, nursing, and architecture, just to name a few. In fact, one of the main reasons that Nate Davis chose Ball State over other schools that had recruited him was because of their programs to help students with learning disabilities.

Tell me how you know "he fell so far, because his intelligence was a huge issue.(not his dyslexia) Alex over thinks plays and I see it as Nate isn't able to think enough." and explain your knowledge base for the sarcastic comment about Ball State? Are you a scout? Are you an educator? Are you omnipotent or something?

Explain to me how Nate Davis, with reportedly only knowing six plays, outperformed both Hill and Davis. I don't care who he was playing against, he got the job done. If he is really as dumb and as bad as you imply, he would have stunk up the place in the pre-season, even against the third stringers, especially if he only knew six plays. And I still say the offense looked more unpredictable and varied with him in there only knowing six plays than it has all regular season. Fact is, he performed and it really comes down to one of two things; he either knew more than they said he did, or he has enough raw talent to overcome the fact that he only knew six plays. Either way, I say it's a plus and he could turn out to be something this team really needs, a solid QB.
[ Edited by mrgneissguy on Dec 28, 2009 at 8:49 AM ]
Nate Davis is not who you think. Just the Alex Ballwashers on the zone feel this way mostly:

Nate Davis Career Superlatives:

• Became the first player in BSU history to throw for 3,000 yards or more in back-to-back seasons
• Managed a 22-12 record as a starting quarterback
• Tallied a 17-5 Mid-American Conference mark as a starter
• Threw at least one TD pass in 29 of his last 31 games
• With his first pass at Akron, a 23-yard completion to Dante Love, Davis set the Ball State career record for passing yards
• With his seventh completion of the game vs. Northern Illinois, Davis set the Ball State school record for completions in a career on a 33-yard pass to MiQuale Lewis

I am not saying he is the second coming or anything but the man did have a pretty darned good college career and you don't do that being "stupid".
Alex Ballwashers?

My man -- tell us how you really feel!
We need a QB that can play, not a QB that can think.
Nate Davis is not who you think. Just the Alex Ballwashers on the zone feel this way mostly:

• Became the first player in BSU history to throw for 3,000 yards or more in back-to-back seasons
• With his first pass at Akron, a 23-yard completion to Dante Love, Davis set the Ball State career record for passing yards
• With his seventh completion of the game vs. Northern Illinois, Davis set the Ball State school record for completions in a career on a 33-yard pass to MiQuale Lewis

I am not saying he is the second coming or anything but the man did have a pretty darned good college career and you don't do that being "stupid".

And that is only a fraction of what he did in college.

Set the Ball State record for touchdown passes in a season his freshman year while only starting seven games.
Ranked 17th in the country in passing efficiency with a 147.25 mark as a freshman.
Broke the Ball State single season record for passing yards by ~1300 yards.
Broke his own Ball State record for single season passing touchdowns his sophomore year, by 12 TDs.
Threw for 422 yards against Nebraska at Nebraska as a sophomore.
Ranked 27th in the nation in passing efficiency as a sophomore.
Ranked 13th in the nation in passing efficiency as a junior.

He holds the following spots in the Ball State record books:
1st, 2nd, and 6th spot for single season passing yards
1st and 2nd spot in single season pass attempts, completions, and touchdowns.
Career TD passes (he's got 30 more than the second place holder)
Career passing yards
Career pass attempts and completions
Career 250+ yard passing games (14 more than second place)
Career 300+ yard passing games

He is also ranked 6th in the MAC record books for career TDs, up there with the likes of Chad Pennington (1st), Byron Leftwhich (2nd), and Ben Roethlisberger (5th).

I also found a list of all of his TD passes from 2008 (who they were against, who the receiver was and the yardage) and did a little math. His average TD pass went for 23.9 yards. That's average...with a short of 5 yards and a long of 61. 17 of his 26 TD passes in 2008 went for at least 20 yards (and his leading receiver was a freshman).
[ Edited by mrgneissguy on Dec 28, 2009 at 12:40 PM ]
THE FUTURE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkRIYba7hdg
[ Edited by PRIMETIME21 on Dec 28, 2009 at 1:37 PM ]
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
THE FUTURE

you notice he rolls to the right a lot too?

He's got skills, thats obvious. Just don't think he's gonna be ready this year. Like i said, he needs to compete for the no. 2 spot next year.
let the guy sit and learn! What is so hard to understand about this.
Originally posted by darkknight49:
THE FUTURE

He's got skills, thats obvious. Just don't think he's gonna be ready this year. Like i said, he needs to compete for the no. 2 spot next year.

natural instincts!
Originally posted by darkknight49:
THE FUTURE

natural instincts!

experience>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>natural instincts

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Originally posted by mrgneissguy:

Set the Ball State record for touchdown passes in a season his freshman year while only starting seven games.
Ranked 17th in the country in passing efficiency with a 147.25 mark as a freshman.
Broke his own Ball State record for single season passing touchdowns his sophomore year, by 12 TDs.

Career passing yards

He is also ranked 6th in the MAC record books for career TDs, up there with the likes of Chad Pennington (1st), Byron Leftwhich (2nd), and Ben Roethlisberger (5th).

I also found a list of all of his TD passes from 2008 (who they were against, who the receiver was and the yardage) and did a little math. His average TD pass went for 23.9 yards. That's average...with a short of 5 yards and a long of 61. 17 of his 26 TD passes in 2008 went for at least 20 yards (and his leading receiver was a freshman).

And you can play this game with Alex Smith and a ton of other QBs. This crap doesn't matter.
Originally posted by taney71:
Originally posted by mrgneissguy:

Career passing yards

And you can play this game with Alex Smith and a ton of other QBs. This crap doesn't matter.

but but but in college he did......

Guess what it is college!!!! not the NFL.
To all the Nate Davis supporters be patient, we've all seen this movie before.

Alex Smith will be the designated starter going into next year. In the offseason he'll show an improved rapport with his receivers and a better grasp of the offense.

However, Nate Davis will move up the depth chart and will probably get some reps with the first team. He'll show a good grasp of the offense and he'll continue to wow the team and fanbase with his arm strength, accuracy, pocket presence and leadership.

Come preseason Alex Smith will play decent, but nothing special. In comparison Nate Davis will show more big play potential and have long sustained scoring drives. Despite the obvious hints at a having a potentially explosive offense, the fanbase's excitement will be stymied when the coaching staff makes the conservative choice and sticks with Alex Smith as the starter.

The team will once again start with a record of 2-1, with the obligatory win over the Tards', a winnable road loss and another win over either the Lambs or Chickens of the Sea. The wins will be a result of the defense creating turnovers, while the offense will fail to put points up on the board and blow teams out.

Next, the season will enter into the stretch we're the team normally gets exposed as pretenders by losing winnable games against mediocre and good teams.

In the first such game, Alex Smith will stink it up against a good defense. For the sake of irony, I hope it's the Broncos. He'll get pulled out of the line up during halftime and replaced by Nate Davis.

The offense will get an initial spark, but unlike Smith against Houston, he'll actually pull out the win.

While Nate Davis leads the comeback, Alex Smith will stand on the sideline with his pathetic slumping body language that he always have after an Int or a failed 3rd down conversion. In the postgame he'll say all the right things "About being team first and being happy for the win." Then he'll say the wrong prideful things about "Believing that he shouldn't lose the starting job, but that the decision is up to the coach to decide and for him to accept."

In his press conference, Mike Singletary will be noncommittal about who the starting QB is for next game, but it will become obvious when Nate Davis gets the first team reps. With Nate Davis starting the next game, the Alex Smith era will have come to it's pathetic and long over due end.

There's no saying how long our how successful the Nate Davis era will be, but it will be a huge sigh of relief knowing that the Alex Smith experiment is over. He will ride the bench and fade into offseason oblivion.

I can't wait for 2010!