LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 282 users in the forums

Nate Davis thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by D_Niner:
Originally posted by Joecool:
If we finally get a coach who knows how to develop a QB and put him in the best position to succeed and use that QB's abilities, then Nate Davis should be the top priority of this team pending we don't acquire another project QB.

He has everything physically needed by an NFL QB. He succeeded in college as did Alex Smith, so I don't see how he would not be able to succeed in the NFL.

Dude was given a raw deal by Singletary because it appears Raye had a big influence at that time. Then Singletary contradicts himself and backs a QB who knew nothing of the system in Troy Smith. I think if Raye wasn't here to bumble plays, Nate Davis would have been on the roster due to Mike Johnson being high on him.

Quote:
This offseason Davis said that he would return to Indianapolis (he played at Ball State) to work with a trainer who also works out with Colts quarterback Peyton Manning. Davis said he hoped that relationship would mean that he gets to meet Manning. He said he's mostly moving back to his college town to save money during a possible lockout.

Read more: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2010/12/nate-davis-i-pl.html#ixzz19cH1XmxV

I'm not sure he has the intellect to be a QB on this level. He certainly has shown us enough to doubt that he can learn an NFL playbook. Dudes got some major hurdles to overcome.

Two words: Arm Band

Guess what the OC says when he calls the play? "Number 25"
Davis looks at his band and reads 25. Hell, give every offensive player a wristband and all Davis needs to say is "Number 25" and each player reads their own. Getting around this issue isn't rocket science.

Once that ball is snapped, kid looks like a complete natural.

He's gotten to the NFL. That doesn't mean a lot but it means something. He also had Jimmy Raye, an OC who even Alex Smith had to call numerous timeouts in 2 years to get the play right.
Axle Smith has all the intellect in the world and he still sucks a bag of dicks.
If we finally get a coach who knows how to develop a QB and put him in the best position to succeed and use that QB's abilities, then Nate Davis should be the top priority of this team pending we don't acquire another project QB.

He has everything physically needed by an NFL QB. He succeeded in college as did Alex Smith, so I don't see how he would not be able to succeed in the NFL.

Dude was given a raw deal by Singletary because it appears Raye had a big influence at that time. Then Singletary contradicts himself and backs a QB who knew nothing of the system in Troy Smith. I think if Raye wasn't here to bumble plays, Nate Davis would have been on the roster due to Mike Johnson being high on him.

Quote:
This offseason Davis said that he would return to Indianapolis (he played at Ball State) to work with a trainer who also works out with Colts quarterback Peyton Manning. Davis said he hoped that relationship would mean that he gets to meet Manning. He said he's mostly moving back to his college town to save money during a possible lockout.

Read more: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2010/12/nate-davis-i-pl.html#ixzz19cH1XmxV

I'm not sure he has the intellect to be a QB on this level. He certainly has shown us enough to doubt that he can learn an NFL playbook. Dudes got some major hurdles to overcome.

Davis looks at his band and reads 25. Hell, give every offensive player a wristband and all Davis needs to say is "Number 25" and each player reads their own. Getting around this issue isn't rocket science.

He's gotten to the NFL. That doesn't mean a lot but it means something. He also had Jimmy Raye, an OC who even Alex Smith had to call numerous timeouts in 2 years to get the play right.

Then Nate turns left when he should turn right or he throws to the right on a timing route when it should have gone to the left.

Ya know there is a reason he is on the practice squad and hasn't been picked off of it by any team in the NFL. Not even to fill a backup 3rd string spot on a team like the Panthers or even the Cardinals...
Question for all the Nate bashers..

Now, with everything we've learned about Singletary and Raye, can we officially discredit their criticism of N.Davis?? Dumb and Dumber obviously have/had no idea what the f**k they were talking about then and now.
I really wish nate davis would start on sunday. We would most certainly lose, but i'd like to see him play!

Quote:

Then Nate turns left when he should turn right or he throws to the right on a timing route when it should have gone to the left.

Ya know there is a reason he is on the practice squad and hasn't been picked off of it by any team in the NFL. Not even to fill a backup 3rd string spot on a team like the Panthers or even the Cardinals...

To the bold: his play on the field hasn't been disappointing. It's actually been impressive more than anything, so you are assuming he will do this but he has displayed otherwise more often than anything else.

His issue this preseason was that he couldn't get the call right.

And you are taking Singletary's evaluation of him over Mike Johnson?

[ Edited by Joecool on Dec 30, 2010 at 10:15:36 ]
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:

Now, with everything we've learned about Singletary and Raye, can we officially discredit their criticism of N.Davis?? Dumb and Dumber obviously have/had no idea what the f**k they were talking about then and now.

imo Nate clearly has some skills laser rocket arm good looking whatever if he was all that and a bag of chips another team would have scooped his ass of the PS quicker than flies on a rump roast

the reports of him having trouble calling the plays in the huddle yeah I'll buy that knowing he has a learning disability can he be worked with I'm sure and we shall see once Jim is in town

No. Not at all. The fact he fell off the waivers and straight to the practice squad is enough for me.

Quote:

So although he was able to take a little known college to higher heights, he for some other reason can no longer understand and execute plays? That is not only disrespectful to him, but to Ball State as well. And your assertions are actually baseless as I am more than certain that YOU PERSONALLY, can not provide us with one instance where this had happened. Moreover, you support Alex to the nth degree and he has demonstrated over and over again that he has a "learning disability" when it comes to mastering the playbook. At least Nate is a play-maker and can make something happen when the play breaks down; which actually happens pretty often in the NFL.
Originally posted by OregonNiner87:

No. Not at all. The fact he fell off the waivers and straight to the practice squad is enough for me.

even though the main reason that happened was because of Raye and Singletary's public bashing of him?

Quote:

To the bold: his play on the field hasn't been disappointing. It's actually been impressive more than anything, so you are assuming he will do this but he has displayed otherwise more often than anything else.

Davis' learning disability often causes him to mix up basics like left and right - not a good thing in the football world when sets and blocking patterns depend on directions. Link

And, I'm taking the NFL's evaluation of him not Sing's...

Quote:

Davis' learning disability often causes him to mix up basics like left and right - not a good thing in the football world when sets and blocking patterns depend on directions. Link

BTW, what are you now, 0-4 on choosing good QB's?

Quote:

0-4? So you are discrediting me for choosing from OUR options of QB's? So I decided to go with any QB on our roster over Alex Smith. Is that really 0-4?

Now ask me if I would choose a QB not on the 49ers over JTO?

By your conclusion, anyone who has chosen Alex Smith has been even worse at evaluating circumstances.

Personally, I wanted Hill over any of these but at that time, it was JTO or Smith. Hmm, which way should I go? It's a lose lose either way.

[ Edited by Joecool on Dec 30, 2010 at 11:01:13 ]

Quote:

Good Link. The story further states:

Jimmy Raye said he believes Davis could challenge Carr for the backup job behind Alex Smith when the time comes.

"His progress has been impeded by the fact we have an additional quarterback, but I think his progress to this point has been OK," Raye said of Davis, the team's fifth-round draft pick in 2009 out of Ball State.

Read more: http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2010-06-08/49ers-qb-davis-working-hard-learn-playbook#ixzz19cpe5XsL

0-4? So you are discrediting me for choosing from OUR options of QB's? So I decided to go with any QB on our roster over Alex Smith. Is that really 0-4?

Now ask me if I would choose a QB not on the 49ers over JTO?

By your conclusion, anyone who has chosen Alex Smith has been even worse at evaluating circumstances.

Personally, I wanted Hill over any of these but at that time, it was JTO or Smith. Hmm, which way should I go? It's a lose lose either way.

No, there were those of us on here who have said for years that our QB of the future is not on the team. We have said things like we need to bring in talent to actually compete for the starting QB job and we need draft so-and-so because we have no future QB star on our team. We know that evaluating a QB is more than looking at a handful of pre-season games. We know that you have to have Knowledge, Skill, and Ability to be successful in the NFL and players on the practice squad are usually lacking one these...
Share 49ersWebzone