LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 222 users in the forums

Could Desean Jackson the second coming of Jerry Rice?

Shop 49ers game tickets

Could Desean Jackson the second coming of Jerry Rice?

Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by redrathman:
Originally posted by jrg:
If we had DeSean Jackson, we wouldn't have drafted Crabtree.

Crabtree > Jackson

You are nuts. Jackson is a top 10 WR in this league and probably the top punt returner in all of football. Crabtree isnt close to his league at this point.

Jackson is 13th in the NFL in receiving yards, 40th in receptions and 13th in touchdowns among receivers. He does have the best punt return average, though he's fielded the fewest punts among the top five punt returners in the NFL.

I do however think it's unrealistic to compare Crabtree and Jackson. They are two totally different types of receivers from different draft classes.

He also has huge game breaking ability as shown by the fact that he has tied the all time single season record for most TDs over 50 yards. As far as # of receptions you do have to account for the fact that he missed a game and that Philly has several other guys that McNabb also goes to in the redzone like Celek and Avant.

I guess my point is that Crabtree hasnt accomplished anything yet to say he is better than Jackson and that Jackson has clearly shown that he is a true game changer. Maybe in the future we will be able to put Crab in his class. Just not yet.

Just as you chastised jrg for insinuating that Crabtree is superior to Jackson, you've overstated Jackson's importance in the Philadelphia offense.

He also had one incredible game on national television. Aside from his big plays down the field and his punt returning skills, Jackson lacks in other areas (press coverage and run blocking to name two problems).

Hadn't Michael Crabtree sat out for six weeks, he'd be on pace for 928 yards receiving. DeSean Jackson's rookie year receiving total? 912.

Bottom line: DeSean Jackson isn't a top ten receiver.

LOL Aside from his big plays and his great return skills? Well.. I would think that is pretty damn important dont you? As far as not being a top 10 WR... that is your opinion and you are certainly entitled to that. I believe he is when you consider his return skills along with his WR skills.

WRs I would put ahead of him right now:
1) Larry Fitzgerald
2) Andre Johnson
3) Calvin Johnson
4) Brandon Marshall
5) Wes Welker
6) Reggie Wayne

Guys I would put in same class:
7) Randy Moss
8) Anquoin Boldin
9) Marquis Colston
10 Chad 85

See my previous post regarding his rankings within three critical receiver categories, none of which he's within the top ten.

It's pretty tough to be considered the top ten of something if you can't even place within the ten most productive players in any one category.
I want to see one of our guys bubble Jackson's snot next week just because I'm tired of these threads.
Since when has Jerry Rice been known as a good GM?
The thing that pi$$es me off about this is our overwhelming need for Jacksons skill set and ability at multiple positions from day one. The impact on the game at their positions should have made Jackson the choice as well. It's not like we were stacked at the wr/kr/pr spots. Whether Balmer becomes a player with the defensive impact that Jackson has already had offensively in the league has yet to be seen and more than likely won't be.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Yah our GM is an idiot. As long as he is around this team will never be a winner.
IBTL

How many f**king Desean Jackson nut swinging threads does one forum need? Holy f**k!
Mods.....
Originally posted by susweel:
Yah our GM is an idiot. As long as he is around this team will never be a winner.

Sad but true.

It's even worse when you compare him to the giant oaf Chilo.
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
to draft Deshaun Jackson. He worked out with him in the offseason and wanted to help out his former team and give us a steal in the draft. But no, we didnt listen to the greatest receiver of all time and picked up Kentwan Balmer (who?) instead. I feel sick to my stomach every time I see the Eagles play because D Jax is definently one of the most explosive players in the NFL. The dude already has tied the record for most touchdowns of 50 or more yards in one season with 8! He does it all: Punt returns for touchdowns, end arounds for touchdowns, and receiving touchdowns. When the GREATEST RECEIVER OF ALL TIME tells us to draft a receiver, we need to listen. Unacceptable!!!!!!!!!!!!! But hey, Balmer is is pace to set the all time sack record so I guess we will be fine. I mean, the dude has 0 sacks so far in his career. What a steal we got!

First off, we do not listen to people from the past. We had no use for Bill Walsh prior to his passing, so what makes you think that Jerry Rice can offer suggestions? We have Scot McCloughan. He has earned millions over the last five years to keep us under .500 through ridiculous coaching hires and equally ridiculous draft evaluations. We do not want to disturb this mad scientist at work. I rather enjoy listening to him bumble through explanations on KNBR about his pathetic performance. Can you imagine how smug he would be if he ever got anything right?
Every team passed on him at least once...

Originally posted by jrg:
If we had DeSean Jackson, we wouldn't have drafted Crabtree.

Crabtree > Jackson

You are nuts. Jackson is a top 10 WR in this league and probably the top punt returner in all of football. Crabtree isnt close to his league at this point.

Jackson is 13th in the NFL in receiving yards, 40th in receptions and 13th in touchdowns among receivers. He does have the best punt return average, though he's fielded the fewest punts among the top five punt returners in the NFL.

I do however think it's unrealistic to compare Crabtree and Jackson. They are two totally different types of receivers from different draft classes.

He also has huge game breaking ability as shown by the fact that he has tied the all time single season record for most TDs over 50 yards. As far as # of receptions you do have to account for the fact that he missed a game and that Philly has several other guys that McNabb also goes to in the redzone like Celek and Avant.

I guess my point is that Crabtree hasnt accomplished anything yet to say he is better than Jackson and that Jackson has clearly shown that he is a true game changer. Maybe in the future we will be able to put Crab in his class. Just not yet.

Just as you chastised jrg for insinuating that Crabtree is superior to Jackson, you've overstated Jackson's importance in the Philadelphia offense.

He also had one incredible game on national television. Aside from his big plays down the field and his punt returning skills, Jackson lacks in other areas (press coverage and run blocking to name two problems).

Hadn't Michael Crabtree sat out for six weeks, he'd be on pace for 928 yards receiving. DeSean Jackson's rookie year receiving total? 912.

Bottom line: DeSean Jackson isn't a top ten receiver.

LOL Aside from his big plays and his great return skills? Well.. I would think that is pretty damn important dont you? As far as not being a top 10 WR... that is your opinion and you are certainly entitled to that. I believe he is when you consider his return skills along with his WR skills.

WRs I would put ahead of him right now:
1) Larry Fitzgerald
2) Andre Johnson
3) Calvin Johnson
4) Brandon Marshall
5) Wes Welker
6) Reggie Wayne

Guys I would put in same class:
7) Randy Moss
8) Anquoin Boldin
9) Marquis Colston
10 Chad 85

See my previous post regarding his rankings within three critical receiver categories, none of which he's within the top ten.

It's pretty tough to be considered the top ten of something if you can't even place within the ten most productive players in any one category.

The initial comment was not about whether Jackson was a top 10 if you recall. It was simply that putting Crabtree ahead of Jackson at this point was crazy.

One stat you did omit... Just from scrimmage Jackson is 3rd in the entire NFL among wr's in yards per game. He trails only Andre Johnson and Wes Welker. That does not include any of his punt return yardage. All I am saying is that his stats do support the fact that he is a game breaker right now. The same simply cannot yet be said for Micheal Crabtree.
Desean = GOAT
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
if you wanna go ahead and crown his a*s then CROWN HIM!!!!!

HE IS WHO WE THOUGHT HE WAS!!!!!

AND WE LET HIM OFF THE HOOK!!!!!!

f**k desean jackson
Share 49ersWebzone