LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 259 users in the forums

Martz Could Become Bears OC?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by WheresWaldo:
That's the kind of offense Cutler should be in.

you mean one where he can continue to throw crucial 4th quarter INT's?
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:
and Cutler will get sacked 70 times a season and throw 55 INTs...

Martz has been to how many SB's?
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jcs:

2. One under Vermeil as OC (win), and the very next year as HC (loss). He got to the SB as a HC because of Vermeil's team though.
Originally posted by GEEK:
If Lovie Smith retains the HC gig, this would be the nail in the coffin for him as it was with Mike Nolan.

- What happens to Matt Forte? (Frank Gore)

- What happens to Greg Olsen? (Vernon Davis)

- What happens to their O-line? (49ers O-line)

- Are their WRs effective in this scheme? (Battle? Morgan? Hill?)

it seems like a good fit to me. most of their receivers are suited for the slot anyways. i see hester and knox mostly run slants and screens and thats the heart of the playbook. the big concern to me is what to do with matt forte
I don't think Smith is stupid enough to make this move. This move might have killed Nolan. Of course he was pretty desperate at that point.
Originally posted by jcs:

LOL, those teams had more talent on the f**king bench then the Bears do in their starting lineup...

• evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GEEK:
If Lovie Smith retains the HC gig, this would be the nail in the coffin for him as it was with Mike Nolan.

- What happens to Matt Forte? (Frank Gore)

- What happens to Greg Olsen? (Vernon Davis)

- What happens to their O-line? (49ers O-line)

- Are their WRs effective in this scheme? (Battle? Morgan? Hill?)

I think too many overthink Mike Martz's offense. Marshall Faulk posted his career numbers under MM and Forte (like Gore and Kevin Jones have) has shown he is a pretty good receiver out of the backfield and can make plays when used like that. As far as running the ball the Bears need to continue to build the trenches on offense to be able to run and give Cutler time especially since MM's O relies on a lot of 5 and 7 step drops.

As of right now at OT they may be OK with Chris Williams and Kevin Shaffer (and possibly Pace if he comes back for more). It's the interior that will need to be worked on. Martz would be wise to find a very good line coach to get the most out of his OL so they can buy Cutler and the WR's time to make things happen downfield.

As for Olsen he can still get his catches and a good OC will find ways to get his best players involved. Desmond Clark may be the one on the outside looking in here. VD would have probably been more effective under Martz had he not been so me first team second at that time. He was also needed to help block in the passing game to allow the QB to have time because our lone could not pass block.

WR is a spot where they need at least one player.....someone who could be a true #1. Hester and Knox could really thrive in MM's offense.

If Lovie retains then it's a make or break year for him (although some blame has to be put on Jerry Angelo as he gave up a lot for Cutler and hurt the teams chances to improve by basically trading away their entire day 1 for the 2009 and 2010 drafts). So why not go with an OC who has a good track record of being able to gain a ton of yards and put up points. He also is good with QB's and can possibly help Cutler improve on his game.

I think it's a risky move but the reward is worth it.
I wonder who is going to get Lovie if he is let go..... he is a great coach, if you ask me....I mean you have to be doing something right if you are able to get to the SuperBowl and almost winning if it wasn't for man throwing a key 4th Qtr INT for a TD.

and now he has Cutler just giving games away.

I'm calling it now... Martz and Shaun Hill to the Bears 2010............Championship!!!
NAH, Mike Martz and Alex Smith .... Championship.

Actually this wouldn't be a bad marriage since Martz likes to air the ball a lot, Alex Smith would love that type of environment. Shotgun Spread Offense and BOMBS Away ... Woohoo!

Actually Martz may be good for Smith.
[ Edited by Kauaiguy on Nov 26, 2009 at 11:15 AM ]
  • Paul
  • Veteran
The guy has had some bad things said about him, but just like Jim Fassel I do not understand why he isn't in the league right now whether it be head coach or anything else. He has an ego sometimes still but its better than some of the current coaches right now..

Martz wants to be coach of the Bills, he is familiar with Fitzpatrick at QB and likes what he sees in Trent Edwards. If they can't get Shanny or another name guy like that, I'd take a shot at Martz. Perhaps Smith rejoins him in Buffalo if Chicago cans him?

This would be a very interesting combination. Although I'm sure he can get some yards out of this offense, the Bears still need some talent at receiver. I wonder if they would be open to any trades (Brandon Jones maybe?) Just wishful thinking on my part.
Cutler is a much better QB than JTO or any other QB martz had since the warner/bulger days. Cutler would probably work out well with martz. The WR's are the problem in Chicago but I don't see cutler taking too many sacks. He has better instincts than JTO or kitna.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
This would be a very interesting combination. Although I'm sure he can get some yards out of this offense, the Bears still need some talent at receiver. I wonder if they would be open to any trades (Brandon Jones maybe?) Just wishful thinking on my part.

Doubtful they'd be open to trading for Jones, but with Hester, Knox, Bennett and Iglesias they would be open to trading for a #1 WR. However they have no first rounder this year so they will likely keep their eyes on if Vincent Jackson, Brandon Marshall, Braylon Edwards or Antonio Bryant hit the FA market. If not Terrell Owens might be plan B.
Originally posted by KRS-1:

Doubtful they'd be open to trading for Jones, but with Hester, Knox, Bennett and Iglesias they would be open to trading for a #1 WR. However they have no first rounder this year so they will likely keep their eyes on if Vincent Jackson, Brandon Marshall, Braylon Edwards or Antonio Bryant hit the FA market. If not Terrell Owens might be plan B.

Plus, the Martz offense has the notoriety for making noname WRs into household names.

-9fA
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by KRS-1:

Plus, the Martz offense has the notoriety for making noname WRs into household names.

-9fA

Hester and Knox could really excel in MM's O.
Share 49ersWebzone