LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 295 users in the forums

Does Nolan's success make you question...well everything??

Shop 49ers game tickets
What does this defensive turn around in Denver mean? Is it meaningless, coincidence...or does it somehow imply he was less of the problem and we still have a lot of dead weight around......

I did predict last year that Nolan would be a HC again at some point, most zoners disagree but I just think that the reputation the Niners have as an organization is one where no coaches really get blamed for failing in SF too much.

Remember everybody, 99% of this forum thought Nolan was a horrible football coach after his reign. And though I am sure many of you are now claiming you still thought he would be a great DC, nobody was posting that over the last 9 months.

All I know is I am one of the most pessimistic zoners on the board, and Nolan leading a top 6-0 Defense now is not helping any
Yo Mods, I think it is Niner related because he just left, and the question is...basically...why did the current Niner team right now , NOT perform better defensively under Nolan.

but whatever
[ Edited by danimal on Oct 20, 2009 at 11:35 AM ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Nolan is a good DC, but is a terrible HC.
the defense is obviously better but it also help that the broncos have a QB that doesnt turn the ball over like Gay Cutler and constantly putting them in crappy short field situations

Mike Nolan hasnt turned that team around by himself most of it is on josh mcdaniels and putting his stamp on the team and getting the players that fit his system

im still not sold on the Broncos because of my hatred for that organization i hope they lose the rest of their games f**k the broncos and john elway horse looking motherf**ker
Nope, he got placed with a coach that has a system! The coach came over and got rid of the starting QB for a boat load of draft picks and is still putting up good numbers on offense. The defense is doing great because of the system the head coach brought over not because of the D-Coordinator.

Not to take anything away from Nolan, he is a good D-Coordinator. He benefitted from a great system in Baltimore as well, we all seen what happens if the system around him is out of sink both in Washington and here in SF.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
I wouldn't be surprised to see Mike Nolan teaming up with Norv Turner for the Panthers position.
Nolan was a lousy HC it seems that he's a good DC. At least in Denver in Washington he was under fire for his vanilla playcalling.

IMO the HC job was too much for Nolan, his actions with the team ( Throwing players under the bus, never taking any blame) were wrong. It seemed as he was more focused in the suit issue than making the team better.

I still think he ( ans Scotty Mac) did a solid job in bringing in talented players, and of cap management.

Yet we witnessed that our Defence became better after he was fired.

I would to some degree compare him to Norv Turner. Good coordinator but poor HC.
I guess mainly it just pisses me off. There is no bigger hater of Alex Smith than myself, I am kind of starting to feel like he could walk on to another team right now and make the Pro Bowl.

It just sucks
[ Edited by danimal on Oct 20, 2009 at 11:52 AM ]
The most imporant key to his success is Kyle Orton, Brandon Marshall, a real offensive line

well pretty much everything that we dont have An offense. our defense used to be called upon every 5 plays when he was around.
Originally posted by DynastyChile:
The most imporant key to his success is Kyle Orton, Brandon Marshall, a real offensive line

well pretty much everything that we dont have An offense. our defense used to be called upon every 5 plays when he was around.

Originally posted by susweel:

Exactly. See Norvelle Turner, Dick Jauron, and Wade Phillips for other examples
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
Originally posted by susweel:

Exactly. See Norvelle Turner, Dick Jauron, and Wade Phillips for other examples

How about adding Ray Rhodes, Dick LaBeau, Greg Williams, Cam Cameron, Romeo Crennell, Buddy Ryan, Mike Mullarkey etc. to that list.

There are a whole bunch of ex-HCs who are good coordinators, and a whole bunch of Good Coordinators that make crappy head coaches.

Some, like Jim Johnson, were smart enough to realize that and stayed as Coordinators. Others, didn't and are now (or were) good coordinators.
Nolan loves sending his ILBs (mainly DJ Williams) on a blitz right up the gut, forcing the QB and RB to react. This prevents the QB from stepping up in the pocket. Also, since the RB has to pick up the ILB, that leaves no one to backup the OTs on the outside. With a guy like Dumervil on the edge, that a nightmare for O-lines to deal with.

I've noticed that we have the most success when we let Willis run wild up the middle also. Manusky did it in SD a lot also. He'd drop Donnie Edwards back and send pressure from the other LBs. Willis is an excellent pass rusher, probably our best. I wonder if they just don't trust Spikes in coverage. Not sure.
Yeah, I still question why he threw a challenge flag on a Field Goal?!?? He's just not that good of a coach and I can't see them being 6-0 with him in the driver's seat.

Props to McDaniels (and Nolan, too), though I think they're playing at max potential and still expect the Chargers to make it close come playoff time. Just like last year.
Originally posted by 84SheepDog:
Yeah, I still question why he threw a challenge flag on a Field Goal?!?? He's just not that good of a coach and I can't see them being 6-0 with him in the driver's seat.

Props to McDaniels (and Nolan, too), though I think they're playing at max potential and still expect the Chargers to make it close come playoff time. Just like last year.

I just don't see it in the Chargers. There pass rush is non-existent, and they really miss their nose tackle. On offense, I really think LT has seen his better days and their WRs with the exception of one don't scare anyone.
Share 49ersWebzone