LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 263 users in the forums

Why dont we have a franchise quarterback!!!!!

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Giovanni Carmazzi
Tim Rattay

Brandon Doman

Ken Dorsey

Cody Pickett

Alex Smith

Nate Davis

DUH!
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Oh and Pro Bowl QB’s don’t grow on trees

QB’s drafted to make it to a pro bowl

Bulger
Brady

Brees
Vick

None

Palmer
Romo (undrafted)

Eli
Rivers
Big Ben

D Anderson

V Young
Cutler

None

None
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Originally posted by crzy:
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:
Because we passed on Aaron Rodgers for Alex Smith, that's why.

Yeah ok, who's to say that he wouldn't have ended up like Alex if we had thrown him into the fire with an awful football team like we did with Alex. That's the problem when you use hindsight to make assumptions. No one knows what would've happened to Aaron if we had drafted him instead of Alex.

Aaron Rodgers has been and always will be a more talented NFL quarterback than Alex Smith.

In every situation, on every team, with any set of wide receivers, running backs, and offensive line.....and with any coach.....Aaron Rodgers ALWAYS ALWAYS would have out-performed Alex Smith.

I agree.

Rodgers > Smith

Everyone uses the offensive coordinator excuse and other excuses but Hill has had the same coordinators and same talent on the team while turning it into success.

Smith = Bust
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by Chief:

Yeah ok, who's to say that he wouldn't have ended up like Alex if we had thrown him into the fire with an awful football team like we did with Alex. That's the problem when you use hindsight to make assumptions. No one knows what would've happened to Aaron if we had drafted him instead of Alex.

Aaron Rodgers has been and always will be a more talented NFL quarterback than Alex Smith.

In every situation, on every team, with any set of wide receivers, running backs, and offensive line.....and with any coach.....Aaron Rodgers ALWAYS ALWAYS would have out-performed Alex Smith.

I agree.

Rodgers > Smith

Everyone uses the offensive coordinator excuse and other excuses but Hill has had the same coordinators and same talent on the team while turning it into success.

Smith = Bust

It's real simple Smith has not figured out the speed of the NFL game. Doesn't know when or when not to throw. Some QB's get it some don't he still has a chance to get it cause he's young but the ones who get it start and the ones who don't hold clip boards.

I agree.

Rodgers > Smith

Smith = Bust

Had we drafted Rogers there is no reason to believe he would have fared any better
Originally posted by English:

I agree.

Rodgers > Smith

Smith = Bust

Had we drafted Rogers there is no reason to believe he would have fared any better

Exactly. He would have been in the middle of the same s**t sandwich Smith was in. In Greenbay, he was mentored by Farve. If he was drafted by us, he would have been thrown into the starting the gig with Dilfer giving him tips. He probably would have done a little better, but the difference wouldn't be much.
[ Edited by pwilly52 on Aug 28, 2009 at 1:36 PM ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

yup

please. Rodgers got to sit out 3 years and learn from Brett Favre, then take over with a much better offense with Greg Jennings and Donald Driver to throw to.

Alex Smith was thrown into the fire his first year when he shouldnt have been doing anything but holding a clipboard, he was given the NFL's worst offense, and had to learn from Trent Dilfer, and about a million different coaches telling him different things with different offenses.

alex smith, in a different situation, would be a solid NFL QB. he has the tools, his development has been totally mishandled.
I have always said I would have passed on Smith and Rodgers.

But I in no way agree Rodgers would have been as bad.

I think Rodgers as of right now would be the locked in starter and probably with rated 10 more points in the career rating category. Now Alex is a 63.5 career passer and will go down as a top 3 BUST ALL-TIME.

I have watched A Rod plenty, imo, no way his performance would have been that bad in the same situation.

Don't get me wrong at 75 career rating 4 years later, I would be calling for drafting a new QB anyway...so whats the difference from that perspective.

Aaron would have fared a little better

BTW, Rodgers is a 91 rated passer. There is no way the difference between 30 points is development. You have to give players more credit than that guys
[ Edited by danimal on Aug 28, 2009 at 4:38 PM ]
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran

I agree.

Rodgers > Smith

Smith = Bust

.....i hope that was a joke

Originally posted by ImaMod:

I agree.

Rodgers > Smith

Smith = Bust

.....i hope that was a joke

7-3 isn't that bad. And it can certainly be considered success compared to Smith.
There's no doubt about it, Smith was treated the worse possible way you can treat a young QB. Heck, I think you could make him the poster child for how not to treat a QB prospect. However, at no point in his career in either preseason or the regular season have I ever seen that special "it" factor other than in the second half against Seattle on that Thursday night game. On the other hand, due to my wife being a born and bred cheesehead and therefore being forced to pretty much watch every single Packer game over this same period, Rodgers consistently showed flashes of potential whenever he was in there. He just has a swagger and confidence that Alex Smith has never shown. The knock against him has always been whether he could stay healthy, so I don't know how he would have fared with our dodgy O-lines. But in every other way, shape, and form, I am certain he would have greatly exceeded Alex Smith.
[ Edited by fzrdave on Aug 28, 2009 at 5:54 PM ]
Originally posted by fzrdave:
There's no doubt about it, Smith was treated the worse possible way you can treat a young QB. Heck, I think you could make him the poster child for how not to treat a QB prospect. However, at no point in his career in either preseason or the regular season have I ever seen that special "it" factor other than in the second half against Seattle on that Thursday night game. On the other hand, due to my wife being a born and bred cheesehead and therefore being forced to pretty much watch every single Packer game over this same period, Rodgers consistently showed flashes of potential whenever he was in there. He just has a swagger and confidence that Alex Smith has never shown. The knock against him has always been whether he could stay healthy, so I don't know how he would have fared with our dodgy O-lines. But in every other way, shape, and form, I am certain he would have greatly exceeded Alex Smith.

I agree with this completely.
I wouldn't mind Jason Campbell if he becomes available soon
Alex more athletic than Rodgers....I have always disagreed.... Rodgers just chooses to picks when to run....

so did anyone just see that run by Rodgers....bet you east-coasters did know he could do that.

wish we had him.....if we HAD to take a QB that year
[ Edited by Afrikan on Aug 28, 2009 at 7:26 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone