LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 357 users in the forums

Plaxico Burress agrees to 2-year prison term

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by crzy:
People should be sentenced based on what happened, not what could have happened.

I understand why the laws are in place that sent Plaxico to jail.

But he had no vicious intent and now his career is in jeopardy because of his own stupidity.

He was sentenced based on what happened. He got caught in possesion of a firearm. This really did happen.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Y2R you are proving my point when you say accidents happen. even though the gun wasnt registered in ny, you seem to think that nobody should be able to carry a gun because accidents happen, but just because accidents happen doesnt change the fact that you have a constitutional right to have a gun. he HAD reason to believe he was a target because steve smith his teammate had been robbed at gunpoint outside his home a few days ago. you cant expect someone to stay in their house all day because theyre scared. and you cant take away 2 YEARS of someones life because of what COULD HAVE happened.

Precisely; This is not about thugs or what COULD have happened. This is an irresponsible and costly sentence that is a common result of an irresponsible and costly criminal justice system. The initial intent of the gun laws was to give the prosecutor the ability to add additional time for those who used a gun to commit a crime; not to criminalize carrying a legal weapon. Now you have over zealous prosecutors, judges and politicians expanding the interpretation at the expense of everyone's rights and tax payer's dollars.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Y2R you are proving my point when you say accidents happen. even though the gun wasnt registered in ny, you seem to think that nobody should be able to carry a gun because accidents happen, but just because accidents happen doesnt change the fact that you have a constitutional right to have a gun. he HAD reason to believe he was a target because steve smith his teammate had been robbed at gunpoint outside his home a few days ago. you cant expect someone to stay in their house all day because theyre scared. and you cant take away 2 YEARS of someones life because of what COULD HAVE happened.

However he had been a NYG since 2005. If he wants to carry a gun for whatever reason it is up to him to be aware of the laws that apply to carrying one in NY. Plax has no one to blame but himself for HIS IRRESPONSIBILITY.
This only happened because OJ got away. That backlash of that still hasn't gone away.
[ Edited by Joecool on Aug 21, 2009 at 1:40 PM ]
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Joecool:
This only happened because OJ got away. That backlash of that still hasn't gone away.

Hey hey whoa....the gloves did NOT fit thus he was innocent

It's one thing the dude got away with murder, but what dumb ass lets a guy get away with trying to put a glove on with his hands spread out?

Originally posted by KRS-1:

Hey hey whoa....the gloves did NOT fit thus he was innocent

• THEBESTEVER
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by TX9R:
That is a heavy sentence for a victimless crime, but that's the way the law is written there. I for one am glad to see that finally athletes are getting the same shake you or I would in the same situation instead of always getting a slap on the wrist like in years past. As far as DJs comments about NYC vs Montana, apples and oranges. Gun related crime and murder in NYC is far more prevalent than Montana, or rellaty anywhere for that matter, so it makes sense that the laws would be stiffer.

Well I have to agree with you that Athletes do at time get off easy, but this is ridiculous for him to get two years.

In reference to the comment about regular people like ourselves getting thrown the book verus athletes isn't always correct. Just recently in NYC a corner store owner had a illegal shotgun in his store, and he had two people attempt to commit a robbery. He shot and killled both of them but was given not one charge; and this is by the greater city of NYC. I understand it was more than likely in defense of himself and his store, but the fact is 1) NYC has no self defense rules 2) the shotgun wasn't registered in the city of NYC.

So explain to me how you can have a illegal weapon and kill two people and get not one charge? HMMM? How about those apples.
[ Edited by THEBESTEVER on Aug 21, 2009 at 3:07 PM ]
  • THEBESTEVER
  • Info N/A
Also if I had to give a fair sentence I would give him something like 90 to 180 days and a crazy amount of hours towards community service as well as him having to devote time to the fight again guns in NYC.
[ Edited by THEBESTEVER on Aug 21, 2009 at 3:05 PM ]

He got 2 years for breaking a law that has a sentence for much more than 2 years. Why are you defending an idiot who carries a gun illegally who drops it while drinking and it's not even on safety? Everyone who carries a gun thinks they are a target, especially drug dealers and thugs. NYC doesn't need thugs with Florida guns going into clubs and dropping loaded guns.

Originally posted by ttime1:
Originally posted by danimal:
I love how people bash the justice system. ALL of the NFL player sentences have made perfect sense to me

Including this one.

Next time your community faces a school or library closing or some other short fall due to budgetary problems, think about the $200,000 it will cost to lock him or any of the many victimless convicts up for 2 years. Then maybe you will realize how senseless and irresponsible the criminal justice system is.

Right.....How much again was he going to pay in income taxes over the next two years?

This is f**king retarted.......

I am FROM NEW YORK....80th and broadway.....

I live in the South for a reason...... Its called Freedom.... This is a prime example...
Where in the south are you free to carry unregistered guns?
Just saw an interview where Plaxico was talking about what happened

-Says security searched him and knew he had the gun on him yet still let him in.

-Said he was only there for five minutes, when went upstairs to be alone and just hang out with what's his name who was with him.

-As he was walking upstairs, the gun started to fall down his pants, and he reached to stop it, and he hit the trigger somehow, causing it to go off.

-Says he didn't even feel being shot, only first saw the blood on his shoes.

I dunno, it sounds kind of BS to me.
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:

-Says security searched him and knew he had the gun on him yet still let him in.

-Said he was only there for five minutes, when went upstairs to be alone and just hang out with what's his name who was with him.

-As he was walking upstairs, the gun started to fall down his pants, and he reached to stop it, and he hit the trigger somehow, causing it to go off.

Just watched the entire interview on E:60. He seems pretty genuine to me. Obviously, he showed irresponsibility here, but the punishment is too harsh IMO.

It sucks for Plax. 2 years in prison, his wife is pregnant and due in November, he has a young son. He said he was carrying the gun to protect himself after seeing what happened to Darrent Williams, Sean Taylor and his teammate Steve Smith, who was held at gunpoint four days before Burress' incident. He isn't free of guilt here, but it's a stiff penalty.
Originally posted by SacRock14:
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:

Just watched the entire interview on E:60. He seems pretty genuine to me. Obviously, he showed irresponsibility here, but the punishment is too harsh IMO.

It sucks for Plax. 2 years in prison, his wife is pregnant and due in November, he has a young son. He said he was carrying the gun to protect himself after seeing what happened to Darrent Williams, Sean Taylor and his teammate Steve Smith, who was held at gunpoint four days before Burress' incident. He isn't free of guilt here, but it's a stiff penalty.

I didn't know this.
Share 49ersWebzone