LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 253 users in the forums

Okay, so if the cards were only 2 games better last year?

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BrodieFan:
Beanie Wells???!!!

Maybe you guys have forgotten, but Adrian Peterson was supposed to run wild on us as well. Patrick Willis had something to say about that on the field. I'm guessing he'll deal with Beanie the same way.

It kind of cracks me up the way some of you who are not too sure about how well some of our rooks are going to do are just sure Beanie Wells will run all over us; based on what exactly? How one of the best young running backs in the league did against us last year?

Patrick Willis was not the only reason AP had a bad game against us. Let's not discredit the rest of the D.

Quote:

It kind of cracks me up the way some of you who are not too sure about how well some of our rooks are going to do are just sure Beanie Wells will run all over us; based on what exactly? How one of the best young running backs in the league did against us last year?

The above statement cracks me up. So he had a good game and our D shut down AP 2 years ago (not last year) and you assume Wells won't run all over us ?

Explain how Marshawn Lynch had 130+ vs us last year, or maybe we can talk about giving up as many yards to Julius Jones last year in week 2. What about Jamal Lewis in the 2007 finale ?

It goes both ways so don't sit there thinking we can stop Wells so easily twice a year. Wells obviously still has to prove he can be a great back in the pro's seeing as he has not played a single down yet but if he lives up to the hype he will be a handful to deal with.
Originally posted by KRS-1:

It goes both ways so don't sit there thinking we can stop Wells so easily twice a year. Wells obviously still has to prove he can be a great back in the pro's seeing as he has not played a single down yet but if he lives up to the hype he will be a handful to deal with.

That's a good point - it does go both ways. My point was that to assume the Cards got better in the running game because the drafted Wells, is to assume he will be successful in the NFL. I just don't want to see the same posters who question all of our draft picks and caution us not to be too hopeful about them naturally assuming another team in the division will have a better running game because of a draft pick. It's a reverse double-standard, a very tough dive, but with lots of points for difficulty.
  • Lifer
  • Veteran
The Cardinals were really two teams last year: 1.) The regular season team that was only slightly better than the 49ers and barely good enough to make the playoffs (everybody thought they'd be one and done). 2.) The post-season team that suddenly grew both a defense AND a running game, and was well rounded and good enough to compete with the best teams in the league. The question is: Which team represents the "real Cardinals" of 2008? Was their post season performance the beginning of a new era, or merely a fluke? Will they be building from the baseline of the regular season team or will they be building from the baseline of the post-season team? If it's the latter, then we'll have our hands full.
  • evil
  • Veteran

That's a good point - it does go both ways. My point was that to assume the Cards got better in the running game because the drafted Wells, is to assume he will be successful in the NFL. I just don't want to see the same posters who question all of our draft picks and caution us not to be too hopeful about them naturally assuming another team in the division will have a better running game because of a draft pick. It's a reverse double-standard, a very tough dive, but with lots of points for difficulty.

They also added 2 good OL prospects like I mentioned in my first post in this thread so there is potential for a very good run game if all pans out (they have a great OL coach in Russ Grimm, good for them bad for us).

We also should be wary of Seattle and St.Louis' run games. The Rams will rely heavily on Jackson and the Hawks are going with a ZBS and Jones should fit that scheme nicely. To add that Seattle beefed up it's WR core means we need to get better on defense and look to add more talent and depth there next offseason (and continue to build on being an effective smash mouth football team to help keep our D off the field) as the offensive talent in this division is getting a lot better.

They also added 2 good OL prospects like I mentioned in my first post in this thread so there is potential for a very good run game if all pans out (they have a great OL coach in Russ Grimm, good for them bad for us).

We also should be wary of Seattle and St.Louis' run games. The Rams will rely heavily on Jackson and the Hawks are going with a ZBS and Jones should fit that scheme nicely. To add that Seattle beefed up it's WR core means we need to get better on defense and look to add more talent and depth there next offseason (and continue to build on being an effective smash mouth football team to help keep our D off the field) as the offensive talent in this division is getting a lot better.

Hey, don't get me wrong. I agree with you. I think it's always a mistake to think other teams are pushovers or an "easy win" or a win you can count on. I think it's hard to win a division, period. The other teams know you better than any out-of-division teams and you have to play them at their own stadiums. It's set up to be difficult. I never take anything for granted. That's just one of the things I love about the game.
  • evil
  • Veteran

Hey, don't get me wrong. I agree with you. I think it's always a mistake to think other teams are pushovers or an "easy win" or a win you can count on. I think it's hard to win a division, period. The other teams know you better than any out-of-division teams and you have to play them at their own stadiums. It's set up to be difficult. I never take anything for granted. That's just one of the things I love about the game.

Beanie Wells???!!!

Maybe you guys have forgotten, but Adrian Peterson was supposed to run wild on us as well. Patrick Willis had something to say about that on the field. I'm guessing he'll deal with Beanie the same way.

Patrick Willis was not the only reason AP had a bad game against us. Let's not discredit the rest of the D.

Quote:

The above statement cracks me up. So he had a good game and our D shut down AP 2 years ago (not last year) and you assume Wells won't run all over us ?

Explain how Marshawn Lynch had 130+ vs us last year, or maybe we can talk about giving up as many yards to Julius Jones last year in week 2. What about Jamal Lewis in the 2007 finale ?

Julius jones ran vs the big nickle where as marshawn lynch ran against our base 3-4! See your point but just saying!

I agree, but the rams have some issues still they lack some talent on the o line. And they have a new coach, and well we just have to see how they react to their new system.
Originally posted by glorydayz:
What have they done to be better than us this year

Not enough. We are going to OWN the West Division.

...we need to get better on defense and look to add more talent and depth there next offseason (and continue to build on being an effective smash mouth football team to help keep our D off the field) as the offensive talent in this division is getting a lot better.

GOOD. That means no more dissing the West Division and no "yeah, but they play in the West" when our record goes to 13-3.

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Two words, Kurt - Warner.

the guy just seems to have our number, hes what 8-1 when playing us.
Right. But Kurt is living on borrowed time. Pretty soon, we'll see Lienart and that's got to be better for us than Kurt has been. Couldn't hardly be worse.
Originally posted by Kolohe:

He had an amazing year. When he has been inconsistent, so have the Cards. Makes me hope that he was only more focused because it was a contract year.

Brodiefan,

A rookie RB has a better chance at making an immediate impact over any other position.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Right. But Kurt is living on borrowed time. Pretty soon, we'll see Lienart and that's got to be better for us than Kurt has been. Couldn't hardly be worse.

I use to say the same thing about Brett Favre, who Steve Young could only beat once.

Felt so good to finally own Favre last year.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Kolohe:

He had an amazing year. When he has been inconsistent, so have the Cards. Makes me hope that he was only more focused because it was a contract year.

Brodiefan,

A rookie RB has a better chance at making an immediate impact over any other position.

I completely agree, because it's the most instinctive position on the offense, but it's still like any other position in that there are more failures than successes. You still never know a given running back is going to be successful in the NFL until he actually plays. So, my argument was that it's premature to assume the Cards' running game has greatly improved because of one draft pick.
Share 49ersWebzone