Shop 49ers game tickets
Wasn't he a pro bowler one year?
Not a bust. Not even close.
Originally posted by socalfan21:

Nope.
Originally posted by socalfan21:

No but had a real nice rookie year. Fell off a bit in 2007 and did a little better in 08.
  • bubbybristerHOF
  • Info N/A
reggie let the limelight get to his head and so did his big booty batalla of a girlfriend...he cannot focus on the f**kin game by all means
he's not a bust,but he's not great either
Originally posted by Ether:
A bust at Running Back, for sure. He was dubbed as the next "Sanders-Payton-Sayers", but averages 4 rushing touchdowns a year. Never averaged more than 4 yards a carry, and has more Fumbles than Rushing touchdowns (13 Fumbles, 12 touchdowns). Add that to the fact that he's missed 10 games in the last 2 years and you get an injury prone, glorified return man.

+1

dave meggett 2.0
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by danimal:
just another example of people not understanding the term bust.

he is a big contributor on a big time offense. That is not a bust.

I try to help people figure it out like this, if you had to do it all over again, where would he get drafted?

I think most people would answer in the 2nd round-3rd round. So the Saints jumped a bit high for him, that does not qualify as a bust.

Most busts are guys that would never get drafted or drafted really late if the team got a do over.

OK then consider this: Tony Mandarich is considered one of the biggest busts of all time right? He was drafted #2 overall amid a hype machine that dubbed him the next great lineman. While he didn't come close to living up to that, he moved to guard and had a decent, albey injury plagued career for a few years at a position that was like a #2 RB, relatively speaking. Sounds familiar doesn't it?
Originally posted by TX9R:

I try to help people figure it out like this, if you had to do it all over again, where would he get drafted?

I think most people would answer in the 2nd round-3rd round. So the Saints jumped a bit high for him, that does not qualify as a bust.

Most busts are guys that would never get drafted or drafted really late if the team got a do over.

OK then consider this: Tony Mandarich is considered one of the biggest busts of all time right? He was drafted #2 overall amid a hype machine that dubbed him the next great lineman. While he didn't come close to living up to that, he moved to guard and had a decent, albey injury plagued career for a few years at a position that was like a #2 RB, relatively speaking. Sounds familiar doesn't it?

meh, similiar sure, but the differences here are what really separates them.

A. Packers cut him after 3 years, busthood primarily concerns the team that drafted said player. So the Colts getting some better years out of him does not make him less of a bust. Bush will be in his 4th year with the Saints next season

B. An average Guard could be comparable to a standard #2 RB, but the Saints don't use him as a standard #2 He is an all purpose guy who gets 1,000 yards all purpose not even including the returns. Plus the Saints have one of the best offenses thanks in no small part to Bush. Don't you remember Reggie almost single handedly beating the Niners

C. Injuries, well I don't know how exactly Mandarich missed start totals, but Bush IMO does not meet the plagued definition.

You really should not even factor in the "hype"....at the end of the day a 1.2 picked non hyped non performer is just as much of a bust as a 1.2 highly hyped non performer.

Even if this is the extent of Bush's use for the Saints, he is not a bust. His HS team mate is another story
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TX9R:

meh, similiar sure, but the differences here are what really separates them.

A. Packers cut him after 3 years, busthood primarily concerns the team that drafted said player. So the Colts getting some better years out of him does not make him less of a bust. Bush will be in his 4th year with the Saints next season

B. An average Guard could be comparable to a standard #2 RB, but the Saints don't use him as a standard #2 He is an all purpose guy who gets 1,000 yards all purpose not even including the returns. Plus the Saints have one of the best offenses thanks in no small part to Bush. Don't you remember Reggie almost single handedly beating the Niners

C. Injuries, well I don't know how exactly Mandarich missed start totals, but Bush IMO does not meet the plagued definition.

You really should not even factor in the "hype"....at the end of the day a 1.2 picked non hyped non performer is just as much of a bust as a 1.2 highly hyped non performer.

Even if this is the extent of Bush's use for the Saints, he is not a bust. His HS team mate is another story

Bush has never played a complete season in 3, his size and inability to break tackles tells me he likely never will, if that's not injury prone I don't know what is. Mandarich was cut mainly because of his injuries and the fact he didn't dominate as hype said he would. You can not discount hype when it comes to a bust label, it's a key factor and in that aspect they are equal. As far as his production, it's inflated due to the fact that they really force the ball to him, his YPC are not great.
Now as a returner yes he can be dynamic, but so do guys who make the pro bowl doing just that and most are low draft picks. Devin Hester is 1000 times more dynamic and he was considered a reach for what he is, also notice how his production for big plays decreased as they forced him in to a WR role, much like Bush.
Am I saying he's a complete bust, no, but technically neither was Mandarich and if you going to label him a bust, which most do, Bush should be seen in a similar light.

Originally posted by jones49:

For the 2nd overall pick in the draft, he is a bust. You don't get drafted 2 overall to just catch passes. He averages 3.7 yards per carry in his career. That's awful!
I still think Reggie can get there. I don't think his lack of production is all his fault though. I'm sure opposing defenses always have to account for him whenever he's on the field.

I liken him to Marshall Faulk. Faulk was an above average back during his first 4 seasons at Indy. He didn't become close to what I would call elite until his 5th and final year with Indy.

With Reggie, it's only a matter of time, barring injury of course. There's just too many tools and talent to write him off as a bust right now.
Originally posted by WheresWaldo:

For the 2nd overall pick in the draft, he is a bust. You don't get drafted 2 overall to just catch passes. He averages 3.7 yards per carry in his career. That's awful!

Eddie George
Career stats
Rushing Yards 10,441
Average 3.6
Touchdowns 78

He sucks!!!!
Originally posted by HaiGuise:
Originally posted by WheresWaldo:

Eddie George
Career stats
Rushing Yards 10,441
Average 3.6
Touchdowns 78

He sucks!!!!

first 3 year comparison

Eddie George

played in all 48 games
rushed for 4061 yards on 1040 carries 3.9 yards per carry
812 yards receiving
4873 total yards
19 rushing tds, 2 receiving
6 lost fumbles

Reggie Bush

played in 38 out of 48 possible games
rushed for 1550 yards on 418 attempts for 3.7 avg
1599 yards receiving
3149 total yards
12 rushing Tds, 8 receiving
7 lost fumbles

they are both similar in tds and fumbles lost
there is no doubt Bush is a playmaker, is injured way to much, you cant tell me he has taken more punishment than eddie george did his first 3 years with over 300 carries a year

based on those id take georges first 3 years over bushs first 3 years
Originally posted by teeohh:
He definitely hasn't lived up to expectations. I know he was hurt last year anyone know how long? I don't think he will ever be that running back people thought he would be, he's still an offensive weapon though but I consider him a bust right now.

I remember a commentator prior to that draft (do not remember who is was) remarked that Bush was a once in a generation back. Another Barry Sanders. He is not that. This will be big year for him as I think he is going to be the featured back. I just don't think he can consistently run between the tackles with any success.

[ Edited by BHulman on Jun 18, 2009 at 16:32:27 ]
Share 49ersWebzone