LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 262 users in the forums

Is it safe to call Reggie Bush a bust?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by jones49:
Originally posted by socalfan21:
Wasn't he a pro bowler one year?

No but had a real nice rookie year. Fell off a bit in 2007 and did a little better in 08.

is that because expectations were lowered?

Pierre Thomas is pegged as the starting back for the 'aints.
Originally posted by HaiGuise:
Originally posted by WheresWaldo:
Not a bust. Not even close.

For the 2nd overall pick in the draft, he is a bust. You don't get drafted 2 overall to just catch passes. He averages 3.7 yards per carry in his career. That's awful!

Eddie George
Career stats
Rushing Yards 10,441
Average 3.6
Touchdowns 78

He sucks!!!!

A 3.6 average DOES suck.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
I wouldn't call him a bust, on the other hand if people knew what they know now he would have been a 3rd round pick, let's label him a disappointment.
Originally posted by pantstickle:
Originally posted by TX9R:
Like VD, he wasn't worth the pick that high, but has value. He's exactly what I thought he would be: a Dave Meggett/ Eric Metcalf type (although Metcalf was FAR better than Bush will ever be), a speedy returner who could occasionally play some offense and create mismatches. I can't beleive anyone thought he could be an every down back. Good guy to have when you have pieces already, he would have failed big time had he gone anywhere else that high in the draft. But you can get guys like him much later in the draft, case in point Sproles. Same player, much better value.

You could argue that Sproles is more valuable, too. He's small like Bush, but he's thicker and seems to be much better at being able to run the ball effectively.

Bush Height: 6-0 Weight: 203

Sproles Height: 5-6 Weight: 181

I just wanted to point that out lol
Originally posted by RonMexico:
Originally posted by pantstickle:
Originally posted by TX9R:
Like VD, he wasn't worth the pick that high, but has value. He's exactly what I thought he would be: a Dave Meggett/ Eric Metcalf type (although Metcalf was FAR better than Bush will ever be), a speedy returner who could occasionally play some offense and create mismatches. I can't beleive anyone thought he could be an every down back. Good guy to have when you have pieces already, he would have failed big time had he gone anywhere else that high in the draft. But you can get guys like him much later in the draft, case in point Sproles. Same player, much better value.

You could argue that Sproles is more valuable, too. He's small like Bush, but he's thicker and seems to be much better at being able to run the ball effectively.

Bush Height: 6-0 Weight: 203

Sproles Height: 5-6 Weight: 181

I just wanted to point that out lol

If he's 6'0, then I'm 6'6.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
You people are all thinking the man is just a running back. He is a weapon, from all over the field and he would make any team in the NFL a lot better.
Originally posted by Chief:
You people are all thinking the man is just a running back. He is a weapon, from all over the field and he would make any team in the NFL a lot better.

He's a receiver and a KR/PR, not a RB. If I had to choose between Chris Johnson and Reggie Bush, I'd take Chris Johnson.

[ Edited by WheresWaldo on Jun 19, 2009 at 13:30:23 ]

Everone knew he'd not be an everydown, run up the gut, RB. He's like Westbrook to where he's best used pass catching/ screen plays, and/or lined up wide. They knew what they were getting at #2. Do I think that type of player/back is worth that high a pick? no, but he's definitely no bust.

Everone knew he'd not be an everydown, run up the gut, RB. He's like Westbrook to where he's best used pass catching/ screen plays, and/or lined up wide. They knew what they were getting at #2. Do I think that type of player/back is worth that high a pick? no, but he's definitely no bust.
  • Ether
  • Veteran
Originally posted by HaiGuise:
Originally posted by WheresWaldo:
Not a bust. Not even close.

For the 2nd overall pick in the draft, he is a bust. You don't get drafted 2 overall to just catch passes. He averages 3.7 yards per carry in his career. That's awful!

Eddie George
Career stats
Rushing Yards 10,441
Average 3.6
Touchdowns 78

He sucks!!!!

Way to compare two players with almost opposite playing styles. George was a physical running back known for running directly over people. Bush was a threat to be able to take one 70 yards, obviously relying on pure speed. Comparing Eddie George to Reggie Bush is like comparing Ichiro and Barry Bonds.

bush rocks.......

I am 40 mins outside of New Orleans , and watch mos the saints games each season.

The Saints line has issues blocking for ANY back.....

The problem is compounded by the fact that Bush needs EXTRA help from the line due to his running style.

Bush is like OJ simpson.

He needs the line to open a whole big enough that he can hit it full speed with confidence that it is going to be there every single time he gets the ball..

Of Course that would help EVERY running back in the NFL.

But....that is ALL reggie is missing from being a Epic running back.

IF bush was on the Shanny Broncos that Tdavis was on, He would have been a probowler and this thread would not exist.

Hell the guy has pulled in 3000 yards and 20tds not counting what he does on special teams in the last 3 seasons on a team that basically uses him as a decoy.

The entire Defense has to account for the guy and he was still on pace for a 1500 yard season last year before he got hurt.

Not to shabby for a 23 or 24 year old RB.

I highly doubt Bush's production is going to get any worse , I expect he is going to get much much better like most WRs tend to do as they get older.

You add in he is World Class punt returner......this is a no brainer hell no he is not a bust
Seriously, Reggie a bust? Do you watch football? I can't believe anybody would even have to argue this...
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
Seriously, Reggie a bust? Do you watch football? I can't believe anybody would even have to argue this...

I see a guy who can't run in between the tackles. I see a guy who can barely run outside the tackles. I see a guy who can catch passes and return kicks/punts. I also see a #2 OVERALL pick, which I would expect more from.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
He's a playmaker. Not a RB. Is he a bust? Simply looking at the position he was picked, yes. For the Aints...I'm sure they are glad they have him on their roster.
The same people who are calling Bush a bust probably think Alex is not.
Share 49ersWebzone