There are 223 users in the forums

Who was the bigger bust?

Shop 49ers game tickets

Who was the bigger bust?

Originally posted by danimal:
Originally posted by backontop:
Why are so many posters so obessed with the amount of money Smith got and is getting paid. It isn't your money so why do you care?

amazing.

oh I don't know. maybe a little something called the salary cap?

Look at all the QB's who have been aqcuired since Alex Smith. What do they have in common? CHEAP. And why did the 49ers have to look for only cheap QB's?

Well he was the #1 overall pick. So his contract is to be expected to be super high. That is the problem with the rookie contract system. Paying them before you know if they will even be good or not. And last I checked we have had a pretty good amount of cap space the past few years. So again I ask why are some people upset like it is their money being spent on Smith's contract?
Why are so many posters so obessed with the amount of money Smith got and is getting paid. It isn't your money so why do you care?

amazing.

Look at all the QB's who have been aqcuired since Alex Smith. What do they have in common? CHEAP. And why did the 49ers have to look for only cheap QB's?

Well he was the #1 overall pick. So his contract is to be expected to be super high. That is the problem with the rookie contract system. Paying them before you know if they will even be good or not. And last I checked we have had a pretty good amount of cap space the past few years. So again I ask why are some people upset like it is their money being spent on Smith's contract?

so basically the 9ers have been screwed twice in the last 5 years because there's no rookie cap.....
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:

amazing.

so basically the 9ers have been screwed twice in the last 5 years because there's no rookie cap.....

yup! Bring on a rookie pay scale

amazing.

oh sorry. But I think anyone who ever complained about his contract was coming from the point of view that he should not even had been drafted with that pick.

Also, I think this is minor, but......I do recall a few of the other owners were upset with the 49ers because by their calculations Alex Smith was overpaid a bit...so it supposedly screwed up some of the other slots expected amounts.

And in regards to the overall health of the Niners cap. Now this is just an assumption but I would suspect they have it budgeted out by position. Again, I doubt it is coincidence that following the Alex Smith signing the Niners never even signed a mid pay veteran, it was all cheap ass QB's from that point forward. My deduction is that there was no more money to spend on QB.

Next year will be the first year the Niners can invest in a quality vet or top prosopect at QB....and I am sure they will f**k it up again.
Left to Right:

A.Smith, J.Russell, R.Leaf

amazing.

oh sorry. But I think anyone who ever complained about his contract was coming from the point of view that he should not even had been drafted with that pick.

Also, I think this is minor, but......I do recall a few of the other owners were upset with the 49ers because by their calculations Alex Smith was overpaid a bit...so it supposedly screwed up some of the other slots expected amounts.

And in regards to the overall health of the Niners cap. Now this is just an assumption but I would suspect they have it budgeted out by position. Again, I doubt it is coincidence that following the Alex Smith signing the Niners never even signed a mid pay veteran, it was all cheap ass QB's from that point forward. My deduction is that there was no more money to spend on QB.

Next year will be the first year the Niners can invest in a quality vet or top prosopect at QB....and I am sure they will f**k it up again.

well in the 49ers eyes at the time he was the future QB and was the starter. So why pay more money for a back up than they had too

amazing.

well in the 49ers eyes at the time he was the future QB and was the starter. So why pay more money for a back up than they had too

He has not started since early 07....and look at the QB's they have signed since then....CHEAP

Bottom line is they f**ked up the 1.1 pick, and it takes about 5 years to recover from that and move on. In all likelihood they draft a 1st round QB next year.....becoming the 2nd REAL investment at QB in 5 years. Just like I predicted in March of 05

amazing.

He has not started since early 07....and look at the QB's they have signed since then....CHEAP

Bottom line is they f**ked up the 1.1 pick, and it takes about 5 years to recover from that and move on. In all likelihood they draft a 1st round QB next year.....becoming the 2nd REAL investment at QB in 5 years. Just like I predicted in March of 05

so you would rather we over pay for another mediocer QB?? All the other QB's that were brought in weren't brought in to take the starting job. They were brought in to fill the gap.

amazing.

so you would rather we over pay for another mediocer QB?? All the other QB's that were brought in weren't brought in to take the starting job. They were brought in to fill the gap.

Yes we were looking for a starter. Smith was badly injured and quite frankly already had 30 starts before his injury. Whether you want to accept it or not, common sense dictates the Niners were badly looking for a new starting QB. BUT, they were unwilling or unable; I believe the latter, to spend much on a new QB. The Alex Smith dead money put the Niners in a situation where they could not draft another QB high or pay for a mid level vet. So they had to HOPE that cheap career backups would come in and surprise everybody. It happens.

So I am not sure why you are asking me what I would have rather wanted. I would have wanted not to be in the bind to begin with because I never supported the alex smith pick. In fact, I actually pushed the idea of signing Kerry Collins years ago and thought he would be the perfect care taker while we WAIT for the precise right QB to draft. We could have been like the Titans in the meantime.

amazing.

Yes we were looking for a starter. Smith was badly injured and quite frankly already had 30 starts before his injury. Whether you want to accept it or not, common sense dictates the Niners were badly looking for a new starting QB. BUT, they were unwilling or unable; I believe the latter, to spend much on a new QB. The Alex Smith dead money put the Niners in a situation where they could not draft another QB high or pay for a mid level vet. So they had to HOPE that cheap career backups would come in and surprise everybody. It happens.

So I am not sure why you are asking me what I would have rather wanted. I would have wanted not to be in the bind to begin with because I never supported the alex smith pick. In fact, I actually pushed the idea of signing Kerry Collins years ago and thought he would be the perfect care taker while we WAIT for the precise right QB to draft. We could have been like the Titans in the meantime.

Yup Kerry Collins is tearing it up right now And what bind? Please tell me, what avior QB was available? Or in your eyes who would you have rather brought in as a QB that would take us to the SB and was available? There was no bind, there was just the fact that the front office believed that Smith was their guy and just needed a QB to fill in until he returned.

Smith has gotten a pretty raw deal. Horrible OL (Jennings missing 20+ games as example), lousy WR, TE (Davis is now getting done), revolving door at OC and a defensive minded coach who did not know how to manage or help train a young QB.

Saying that IMO Smith needs to be traded in 2010 for 5th-7th round pick some team will still be intrigued by his physical skills and willing to give that up to gain a back up QB. What will always prevent Smith from being a starting QB is his inability to scan the field quickly and select the right WR to throw to.
Originally posted by Bejaard49er:
Smith has gotten a pretty raw deal. Horrible OL (Jennings missing 20+ games as example), lousy WR, TE (Davis is now getting done), revolving door at OC and a defensive minded coach who did not know how to manage or help train a young QB.

Saying that IMO Smith needs to be traded in 2010 for 5th-7th round pick some team will still be intrigued by his physical skills and willing to give that up to gain a back up QB. What will always prevent Smith from being a starting QB is his inability to scan the field quickly and select the right WR to throw to.

David Carr was drafted by and started for an expansion team

not the best situation either lol

GO FRESNO STATE!!!!
  • Paul
  • Veteran
In total Carr has 64 career touchdowns, 59 of them coming with the Texans. He started on an expansion team that never came close to even attempting to give him a line, he had his moments (I watched the Texans first game ever it was chilling really, beating Dallas). Carr threw for over 3500 yards in 2004. I actually think the Texans gave him a raw deal, Tim Couch the same he has similar numbers to Carr but was just put on such a bad team. They may be busts, top picks who never made the pro bowl but they at least had a modest few years.

Smith had 1 season with 16 tds and 16 ints, other than that he hasn't done anything due to coaching change and injuries, and just overall inconsistency. He is by far a worse pick than Carr or Couch even, he probably ranks right next to Akili Smith and Cade McNown as well as Ryan Leaf in terms of where he was drafted and how he produced. I don't think he will see the field this season, and next year even being on an NFL team probably not likely. Say hello to the UFL Mr Smith.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
This one is easy...Carr

He's been passed around the league like a dirty wh*re...Alex on the other hand is still on the same team that drafted him if that can account for something.
Jemarcus is friggin HORRIBLE

Sure he can throw far on one knee, but he can't hit a target 5 yards from his face.
Share 49ersWebzone