LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 239 users in the forums

*****OFFICIAL NFL COMBINE SITE******

Originally posted by strickac:
Originally posted by 49wyztoscore:
Also, drafting a CB in the #1 would give us some flexibilty in the secondary. I think Walt Harris would make an outstanding FS. He has great instincts and has a knack for making plays. Plus, it would help to hide his speed a bit. I've nearly given up on Spencer and Tarrel Brown's knee set him back. We could use some more talent in the secondary.

How is that. It was at the end of the year and he will be ready for our offseason program?

I could see us taking a FS high but not a CB. To many other needs. Like a passrush. Unless we sign Smith.

You wouldn't call a torn MCL and a partially torn ACL a setback? Players train year around..

I wouldn't be against taking a FS high, but this a weak class. Cromartie or Reggie Smith would make great FSs and could also double as a coverman.

Look, all I'm getting at is that we're not that deep in the secondary and if someone falls, it could be a great move for the future.

Set back. No. A set back would have been something like what happened to Jay Moore. T. Brown got valuable experience his first year. Some players dont even participate in the offseason programs or OTA's but he will be ready for both.

If we were to sign Smith I would agree. But if that werent to happen then we have more glaring needs. Thats all I'm saying. Nolan and Scot need to win this year. Not the next. Im just saying its very unlikely that we do it and that what we have in the defensive backfield is more than adequate. I would rather sign another CB before I would take one. CB's and WR's are so boom or bust. WR's depending on the system that is.
[ Edited by 49wyztoscore on Feb 25, 2008 at 10:13 PM ]
Also, drafting a CB in the #1 would give us some flexibilty in the secondary. I think Walt Harris would make an outstanding FS. He has great instincts and has a knack for making plays. Plus, it would help to hide his speed a bit. I've nearly given up on Spencer and Tarrel Brown's knee set him back. We could use some more talent in the secondary.

How is that. It was at the end of the year and he will be ready for our offseason program?

I could see us taking a FS high but not a CB. To many other needs. Like a passrush. Unless we sign Smith.

You wouldn't call a torn MCL and a partially torn ACL a setback? Players train year around..

I wouldn't be against taking a FS high, but this a weak class. Cromartie or Reggie Smith would make great FSs and could also double as a coverman.

Look, all I'm getting at is that we're not that deep in the secondary and if someone falls, it could be a great move for the future.

Set back. No. A set back would have been something like what happened to Jay Moore. T. Brown got valuable experience his first year. Some players dont even participate in the offseason programs or OTA's but he will be ready for both.

If we were to sign Smith I would agree. But if that werent to happen then we have more glaring needs. Thats all I'm saying. Nolan and Scot need to win this year. Not the next. Im just saying its very unlikely that we do it and that what we have in the defensive backfield is more than adequate. I would rather sign another CB before I would take one. CB's and WR's are so boom or bust. WR's depending on the system that is.

A high ankle sprain is a setback, but a torn MCL and ACL isn't? Not sure I agree with that. Anyway, I get your point about. I'm kind of banking on us signing Smith. I'm not all-for drafting a DB, but I think it could be a smart move if someone falls.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean:
Originally posted by Jerry:
It will be interesting to see how many DB's make first round grades, the first round is starting to get crowded. 1 safety and at least 4 CB's should make it.

IMO, one guy who could fall is Mike Jenkins. If he can't show long speed (4.45ish or below), he could very well fall out of the 1st round...yes, he's a physical CB, but the Giants showed how a physical CB can be beat. Speed is all that matters for a CB outside of a cover-2 scheme, and if Jenkins can't show great speed, he'll fall.

In the end, the top 5 CBs should be McKelvin, Flowers, DRC, Porter and Jenkins.

not to mention some receivers like bowman and super mario who were border line 1st/ 2nd picks are now out of the first unless they have stunning pro days!

A high ankle sprain is a setback, but a torn MCL and ACL isn't? Not sure I agree with that. Anyway, I get your point about. I'm kind of banking on us signing Smith. I'm not all-for drafting a DB, but I think it could be a smart move if someone falls.

Did you read my post? T. brown acctually played this year, Moore didn't. Huge difference IMO. I really hope we do sign Smith.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
The Niners still need a lot of help, in a lot of different areas of the field. Although it is not a major priority for 2008, I have no problem selecting a top level CB with the first or second rounder, as long as they are clearly better than a player at another position.

Walt Harris really dropped off last season, and Spencer has never returned to his old form. The Niners will need a starting CB in 2009, and maybe even this season.

In other words, don't be surprised, Niners fans.

Im not so sure. T. Brown has shown alot of promise. I would think Nolan would give him an opportunity to shine before we spend a high pick on a DB. Nolan understands that we need a passrush before we need another CB. Better the pass rush the better or CB play is. I think we had the most coverage sack's in the league last year so our CB position is fine for now. I strongly dont see that happening. You never know though.

Honestly, I don't see Brown as a starter in this league at all. He will be a guy who competes for the nickel and dime corner spots on a roster.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
The Niners still need a lot of help, in a lot of different areas of the field. Although it is not a major priority for 2008, I have no problem selecting a top level CB with the first or second rounder, as long as they are clearly better than a player at another position.

Walt Harris really dropped off last season, and Spencer has never returned to his old form. The Niners will need a starting CB in 2009, and maybe even this season.

Thank You. Walt didn't play very well last year, and at this age, it will be unfair to ask him to perform at pro-bowl level. Porter or DRC or even Talib if he runs a good 40 can be considered at 29. The class is deep, so we can get a decent CB early on day 2, but if Porter or DRC fall to 29th, it will be stupid not to draft either one of them.
I always think you got to draft BPA with first two picks and then you can fill the needs. That way you don't reach in top 2 rounds, and later you can reach and it won't be such a big gamble.
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:

Thank You. Walt didn't play very well last year, and at this age, it will be unfair to ask him to perform at pro-bowl level. Porter or DRC or even Talib if he runs a good 40 can be considered at 29. The class is deep, so we can get a decent CB early on day 2, but if Porter or DRC fall to 29th, it will be stupid not to draft either one of them.
I always think you got to draft BPA with first two picks and then you can fill the needs. That way you don't reach in top 2 rounds, and later you can reach and it won't be such a big gamble.
true there is just no f**kin way we can afford to pass up a pontential shut down playmaking cb if theyre at 29. just think about it how often can you get a pontentially great cb picking 29th. CROMARTIE FOR 29TH

• 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by hec26:

true there is just no f**kin way we can afford to pass up a pontential shut down playmaking cb if theyre at 29. just think about it how often can you get a pontentially great cb picking 29th. CROMARTIE FOR 29TH

For sure. I will take a CB like him in a heartbeat. Pass Rush has as much to do with pass-rushers as CBs/Safeties. Gotta make the QB hold onto the ball half a second more, and you will see TBC get a lot more sacks. (ok maybe not him, his spin move takes like 5-6 seconds, its like watch Freeny is slow-mo) but it helps quite a bit.
Unofficial times for CBs
Tyvon Branch - 4.29!
Leodis McKelvin - 4.40
Brandon Flowers - 4.58

Unofficial times for S
Josh Barrett - 4.31
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean on Feb 26, 2008 at 8:11 AM ]
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Unofficial times for CBs
Tyvon Branch - 4.29!
Leodis McKelvin - 4.40
Brandon Flowers - 4.58

Unofficial times for S
Josh Barrett - 4.31

I had a feeling he will run around 4.55
He is strictly a cover-2 CB

Barrett

Can't wait to see DRC run! He is going to light it up, but I hope he stumbles a little.

Have any of our draft gurus done a post-combine analysis yet, i.e., who helped themselves and who hurt themselves? If so, can a brother get a link? If not, is one planned?

Danke!

-9Foe
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Have any of our draft gurus done a post-combine analysis yet, i.e., who helped themselves and who hurt themselves? If so, can a brother get a link? If not, is one planned?

Danke!

-9Foe

I am sure we will see something tonite from our gurus. DBs are still not done.
Unofficial times for CBs
Tyvon Branch - 4.29!
Leodis McKelvin - 4.40
Brandon Flowers - 4.58

Unofficial times for S
Josh Barrett - 4.31

I had a feeling he will run around 4.55
He is strictly a cover-2 CB

Barrett

Can't wait to see DRC run! He is going to light it up, but I hope he stumbles a little.

Flowers is a playmaker, but his 40 time is going to hurt him...it essentially drops him to the 2nd round.
Originally posted by hec26:

For sure. I will take a CB like him in a heartbeat. Pass Rush has as much to do with pass-rushers as CBs/Safeties. Gotta make the QB hold onto the ball half a second more, and you will see TBC get a lot more sacks. (ok maybe not him, his spin move takes like 5-6 seconds, its like watch Freeny is slow-mo) but it helps quite a bit.

True but if you reall watched there defense last year very few times did they put the CB on man up press coverage and let extra guys blitz. they protected against the big play for the most partand weren't physical. I think they need to switch that scheme up.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Tracy Porter 4.45
Share 49ersWebzone