LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 232 users in the forums

Jamal Adams S LSU

LSU junior S Jamal Adams announced that he'll enter the 2017 NFL Draft.

ESPN.com's Mel Kiper rates Adams as the No. 6 player overall, while CBS ranks him No. 14 overall. "Unlike most defenders with his seemingly reckless, kamikaze style of play, Adams never seems out of control," Rob Rang wrote. "Adams is just as instinctive in coverage. His easy athleticism allows him to drop down and play nickel corner, covering slot receivers while keeping his eyes on the quarterback." The 6-foot-1, 213-pound Adams was a Pro Football Focus first-team All American this past season. "He's got real good versatility to play all over the field," said NFL scout Chris Landry. "He can cover the slot or the receiver outside. He's not the strongest guy against the run but he's got the playmaking ability that makes safeties special. ... He's been compared to Tyrann Mathieu but he's different. Not quite as quick but bigger." Last month, ex-Steelers S Ryan Clark said Adams has the "same explosion and instincts" as Troy Polamalu.
Source: New Orleans Times-Picayune

Great draft for DB's ... when you have guys that are legitimately compared to Ed Reed and Troy Polamalu at safety especially. First round is loaded with defensive talent this year
Best SS in the draft and it's not close.
Pushes another good player down to us in the 2nd round
I am by no means pimping to take another safety in the draft, but whomever takes this kid is taking a potential defensive rookie of the year. This dude is good and knows he's good and isn't afraid to run his mouth.
When you watch him, it looks like he has no weaknesses. I think ive seen him dive low and miss a tackle once!
Seriously.

He uses his length really well. Not just quick but fast as well. Very smart to diagnose plays. Smooth runner. Doesnt take plays off.

Id like to hear other opinions to see if anyone has noticed any downside to his game for the discussion
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
When you watch him, it looks like he has no weaknesses. I think ive seen him dive low and miss a tackle once!
Seriously.

He uses his length really well. Not just quick but fast as well. Very smart to diagnose plays. Smooth runner. Doesnt take plays off.

Id like to hear other opinions to see if anyone has noticed any downside to his game for the discussion

Are you watching highlights? Most players look like that when you watch highlights. He missed at least 2 tackles against Alabama at 1:40 and 4:00. Not easy tackles to make, but still missed. It did look like he gave very little effort on several plays (running plays), but everyone takes plays off. Still looks really impressive and should be a top 10 or 15 pick, but there's no such thing as a perfect prospect. Looks like Adams has good speed, but not elite speed for the position.

3:20 in the Auburn game, it looks like he may have blown his coverage and given up a big play. I doubt 2 LSU defenders are responsible for covering the flat. Looks like Adams was overaggressive and came up leaving a huge gap behind him for an easy throw.

[ Edited by eastcoast49ersfan on Jan 14, 2017 at 4:06 PM ]
This guy will end up in Washington if they're smart.
Originally posted by martysofresh:

They're moving Cravens to SS. But Adams won't make it past Chargers or Panthers.
Originally posted by Jumpman91023:
Originally posted by martysofresh:

They're moving Cravens to SS. But Adams won't make it past Chargers or Panthers.

Yeah that's true. I forgot about Cravens. Would definitely help the chargers out
With the #2 pick in the 2017 NFL Draft. John Lynch and the 49ers select Safety Jamal Adams out of LSU..... can't wait!

I don't think safety is the right move at #2, but depending on the rest of draft and FA, wouldn't hate it. Takkarist,buckner,poe,armstead,lynch
Hasson reddick, Navarro Bowman
Bouye, redmond, robinson
Adams, ward

Formidable...
Down for him or Hooker at 2 tbh 🤷🏾‍♂️
Love this player, but he's too much of a thumper, and we're hoping Tartt can be "that guy" for us.

Instead, I'd prefer Malik Hooker. His coverage skills are incredible and he reminds me of Eric Berry when he was coming out of Tennessee.
  • HERN
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Best SS in the draft and it's not close.

This sums it up.
Originally posted by doc_brown_:
Love this player, but he's too much of a thumper, and we're hoping Tartt can be "that guy" for us.

Instead, I'd prefer Malik Hooker. His coverage skills are incredible and he reminds me of Eric Berry when he was coming out of Tennessee.

I feel the same way. I think Adams and Hooker are about even at SS (Adams is much better in run support), but Hooker is the guy I would want at FS. Better range and ball skills.

At #2, I think we'll be choosing between Trubisky and Hooker if we can't pull off a trade. DE just isn't a need and Hooker is on par with Jonathan Allen and Solomon Thomas as a prospect. That's really high for a safety, but there aren't any special prospects outside of Garrett.
Share 49ersWebzone