LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 316 users in the forums

Jamal Adams S LSU

• HERN
  • Veteran
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
Originally posted by doc_brown_:
Love this player, but he's too much of a thumper, and we're hoping Tartt can be "that guy" for us.

Instead, I'd prefer Malik Hooker. His coverage skills are incredible and he reminds me of Eric Berry when he was coming out of Tennessee.

I feel the same way. I think Adams and Hooker are about even at SS (Adams is much better in run support), but Hooker is the guy I would want at FS. Better range and ball skills.

At #2, I think we'll be choosing between Trubisky and Hooker if we can't pull off a trade. DE just isn't a need and Hooker is on par with Jonathan Allen and Solomon Thomas as a prospect. That's really high for a safety, but there aren't any special prospects outside of Garrett.

I'm not on board with Taking Adams or Hooker at 2.

If we were tho it would make more sense to draft the future SS since we currently have the future FS in Ward already there.

IMO Reid has to go.
Originally posted by MCrabs15:
Down for him or Hooker at 2 tbh 🤷🏾‍♂️

If the Niners go the DB route, wouldn't mind either of these picks to add to our defense.
I don't know where notions of drafting any S at #2 are coming from...really. I think the Niners should draft one...and I'm hoping they can sign Micah Hyde in FA. There's a kid from UConn named Melifonwu who's 6-4, 220 and runs @ 4.50. Based on his performance at the Senior Bowl, he definitely opened up some eyes in terms of his size, speed, coverage skills and ability to lay the lumber. 4-year starter at UConn, he's got a lot of ability and should get considerably better in the NFL. He should come off the board @ rds 3-4, but could zoom up a number of draft boards after the combine. Sounds more like a SS, but in the defense Saleh will be running, a kid like this could be worth a draft pick.
Originally posted by HERN:

IMO Reid has to go.

Why? The only games he's missed in the last 2 years were because of a biceps injury. That's not exactly an ACL.

25 & returning to his rookie form. I don't see any reason he shouldn't be given a 5-year contract.
[ Edited by NinerSickness on Feb 20, 2017 at 9:29 PM ]
Originally posted by NinerSickness:
IMO Reid has to go.

Why? The only games he's missed in the last 2 years were because of a biceps injury. That's not exactly an ACL.

25 & returning to his rookie form. I don't see any reason he shouldn't be given a 5-year contract.

Let him play it out and let's see what happens.
  • HERN
  • Veteran
IMO Reid has to go.

His rookie year was when he peaked. Average player since.

I'm sure If he was to be replaced we wouldn't miss a beat.
IMO Reid has to go.

Going from upper echelon to average while fighting through 2 major concussions isn't a sign you're declining, especially when you're 25 & getting back to your former level.

The entire team was a f***ing mess last year, but Reid was a bright spot until he tore his biceps; and that's probably the best kind of injury you can have in the NFL.
IMO Reid has to go.

If by your own admission he is an average player why, with no salary cap issues does he have to go? Are all other starters, in your view, better than average?

I cant see us spending pick #2 on the defensive backfield. Plenty of other and more demanding needs.
Reid is a former 1st round pick and probowler. Someone will over pay for his services in FA. Niners, I hope, will not. I'm all for keeping him, but I don't think he's the starting SS of the future, and I'm pretty sure another team will. Hopefully he returns to form and proves me wrong
  • TheNef77
  • Q46 Draft 3rd place
This guy is already better than Reid. Better in space. Better in coverage. Doesn't bring the hammer like Reid but rarely misses tackles. Reminds me of Roy Williams

Originally posted by TheNef77:
This guy is already better than Reid. Better in space. Better in coverage. Doesn't bring the hammer like Reid but rarely misses tackles. Reminds me of Roy Williams

Roy Williams? The big hitter that couldn't cover safety?
I think they should just let Reid play out his extension and go from there. Today I wouldn't be in favor of re-signing him. I'm not sure Ward's tough enough to play FS...if he can do it, all's good, then Shanahan will have to decide if Tartt's the guy at SS. Then they could say so long to Reid. I think they should draft a good S...just nowhere near the 1st or 2nd rd, IMHO.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
I think they should just let Reid play out his extension and go from there. Today I wouldn't be in favor of re-signing him. I'm not sure Ward's tough enough to play FS...if he can do it, all's good, then Shanahan will have to decide if Tartt's the guy at SS. Then they could say so long to Reid. I think they should draft a good S...just nowhere near the 1st or 2nd rd, IMHO.

I agree, I think if Fangio was resigned then the secondary would definitely be better, especially Reid, Fangio knows his strength and weakness best..
I think Hooker is the better player for FS. But the problem with him is his passion for the game is questionable, so it might make Lynch hesitate. He wants people that "live and breathe" football.

Adams might be the play if they are looking at strong safety.
[ Edited by Ensatsu on Feb 21, 2017 at 12:02 PM ]
Reminds me of a bigger version of Donte Whitner. Very physical, relishes contact but disciplined, plays with good awareness, rarely out of position, looks to be an outstanding SS in the NFL.

Reminds me of Dak Prescott in the degree to which people rave about his leadership skills and as a powerful locker room presence.
Share 49ersWebzone