LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 137 users in the forums

Rd 4 Targets

Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
We lost both Soap and Rickey. Another guy to compete and backup at NT.

It actually might make more sense to bring in a low-cost veteran at this point than to bring in another youngster. Guys who have been around the league and played the 3-4 nose like Casey Hampton or Sione Pouha (who are both still excellent run-stuffers) and who can teach guys like Ian Williams and Dorsey a few things about playing in the trenches. IMO, you get more value by doing that than bringing in a mid-round prospect who may not even make the roster.

I don't actually think we have room anymore:
  1. Smith
  2. Dorsey
  3. McDonald
  4. Demarcus Dobbs
  5. Ian Williams
  6. Tank
  7. Willl Takuafu

I also expect us to draft a kicker and keep 2 on the roster, which will further tighten our belt on other positions.
^^^no way we keep two kickers on the roster...
I HIGHLY we keep 2 kicker but draft one 2 compete with Dawson
Dawson is a 1 year stop-gap, and the last thing we can afford next year is a rookie who we are not certain about. This sounds expensive, but may be well worth the investment next year
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
We lost both Soap and Rickey. Another guy to compete and backup at NT.

It actually might make more sense to bring in a low-cost veteran at this point than to bring in another youngster. Guys who have been around the league and played the 3-4 nose like Casey Hampton or Sione Pouha (who are both still excellent run-stuffers) and who can teach guys like Ian Williams and Dorsey a few things about playing in the trenches. IMO, you get more value by doing that than bringing in a mid-round prospect who may not even make the roster.

I don't actually think we have room anymore:
  1. Smith
  2. Dorsey
  3. McDonald
  4. Demarcus Dobbs
  5. Ian Williams
  6. Tank
  7. Willl Takuafu
I also expect us to draft a kicker and keep 2 on the roster, which will further tighten our belt on other positions.

Of that list, only Ian Williams is a true NT, and both him and his backup (Dorsey) have almost no experience playing this position in the NFL. That's why I think it makes more sense to bring in a vet to whatever else they may do in the draft.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Apr 27, 2013 at 10:34 AM ]
Btw, I think our 4th round picks here have to be Quinton Patton and the best OL on the board (Quessenberry or Mills). Could also be a CB like Hawthorne or Steve Williams, but the value seems to be with Patton and a OL.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Apr 27, 2013 at 10:36 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone