LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 343 users in the forums

MadDog's Best 50 Board

• cools
  • Veteran
Hmm?, a half dozen or so guys that get paid to evaluate talent, One of the best GM's in the league and a head coach who has known him for years or MadDog?
Originally posted by cools:
Hmm?, a half dozen or so guys that get paid to evaluate talent, One of the best GM's in the league and a head coach who has known him for years or MadDog?

No need to disparage. MD isn't right all the time but he's damn good at this. For what it's worth, Reid was OTC's clear-cut 2nd best safety after Vaccaro. As for Tank Carradine? Our two resident draftniks disagree strongly about him, too. MD has him as a top 10 player in this class, while OTC sees 3rd round value.
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:

No need to disparage. MD isn't right all the time but he's damn good at this. For what it's worth, Reid was OTC's clear-cut 2nd best safety after Vaccaro. As for Tank Carradine? Our two resident draftniks disagree strongly about him, too. MD has him as a top 10 player in this class, while OTC sees 3rd round value.

So....looks like OTC is better at this than MD?
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

Not sure. I know they've had a number of friendly competitions in the past when it comes to projecting all the draftees. MD won the last few years, I think. But projecting the draftees and straight talent evaluation are different (although related) skills. I haven't followed the boards long enough to have a great feel, but MD's JJ Watt pre-draft crush has bought him a lot of cache with me.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

Not sure. I know they've had a number of friendly competitions in the past when it comes to projecting all the draftees. MD won the last few years, I think. But projecting the draftees and straight talent evaluation are different (although related) skills. I haven't followed the boards long enough to have a great feel, but MD's JJ Watt pre-draft crush has bought him a lot of cache with me.

Know how he felt about Aldon? lol
Originally posted by StOnEy333:

I know he gave the pick a poor grade, as did most Zoners. And the player he would have taken instead, Watt, is indeed the superior player.

I know he gave the pick a poor grade, as did most Zoners. And the player he would have taken instead, Watt, is indeed the superior player.

If you throw enough crap at the wall, something will eventually stick. It's all information that's regurgitated from somewhere else. One man's opinion is really just someone else's. No doubt time and effort is put into it, but let's get real.

If you throw enough crap at the wall, something will eventually stick. It's all information that's regurgitated from somewhere else. One man's opinion is really just someone else's. No doubt time and effort is put into it, but let's get real.

Okay, you're right.

Okay, you're right.

lol
Did you fall into the media hype for Floyd?

Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
EJ Manuel at #12? Wow, that comes as a shock. Why so high?

I've always had him with a first round grade. Being a QB obviously inflates the value of a player, but I think his upside is off the charts. I think the team that selects him is going to be very happy. I don't think he's a Pro-Bowler, but a solid starting QB in the NFL.

You apparently know what you are doing ;).............
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
You apparently know what you are doing ;).............

Sometimes. The league has changed and mobile QB's with strong arms are going to get selected earlier than in the past. The era of the stationary QB is slowly dissolving. Manuel has the ability to throw, run, throw on the run. Just a ton of upside. And, guys in the NFL think they can fix some of the flaws in players who have tremendous upside.

Now, as for the picks today, at 34, I have Carradine at the top of my best board. Will he be picked? Not sure. I think medicals may play a role in where he finally lands, and may push him down the board a bit. But, the player is really good, and this team needs to address the future without Justin Smith sometime soon.

As stated for the millionth time, I had Smith at the top of my board for the next OLB (Miller was already off the board), but felt other players on the board were superior at the time. In this case, it was Watt, and to this day, I don't regret my analysis at the time. Watt just had one of the greatest seasons by a defensive lineman ever and was the DPOY recipient. Now, has Aldon exceeded my expectations? Surely. But, I never graded him a bad player, as some are stating. Just didn't think he warranted the value at seven.
Love it @MadDog49er. Down the line do you forsee Tank as being an adequate replacement for Big Cowboy? Also, I realize they haven't even suited up for one single photo shoot but what does the team need to come away with for this draft to be considered a success? Again I love to see you post.
Originally posted by Marion:
Love it @MadDog49er. Down the line do you forsee Tank as being an adequate replacement for Big Cowboy? Also, I realize they haven't even suited up for one single photo shoot but what does the team need to come away with for this draft to be considered a success? Again I love to see you post.

Cornellius Carradine should be the pick according to this list...we'll see.

MD isn't always right, but he puts a lot of work into this and he does as good of job as any of the pundits...but at least he answers our questions when we ask.
Share 49ersWebzone