LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 194 users in the forums

MadDog's Best 50 Board

• buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
When you're going to penalize a prospect for lack of production in making your rankings, it simply comes down to how likely you think they are to fulfill that potential. It seems MadDog has seen something on tape or has reasons to think that both Ansah and Patterson will be busts. If he was convinced that they would reach their potential, I assume he would rank them much higher despite their lack of production.

Prospects are penalized for the lack of production all of the time in draft evaluations.

But, teams will also draft based upon the belief that the potential will be realized.

I am not saying that they will be busts. They could end up being very good players.

You will have to ask MD if he thinks they will be busts. I did not read that into his rankings.
You know what's annoying to hear people say about this draft? "This draft doesn't have that immediate starter...".

Really, dude. Do some of these guys realized that quality first year starters do not always come out of the first round and that there's quality starting first year talent that can be pulled out from anywhere in a draft?

SMH
Originally posted by Joecool:
You know what's annoying to hear people say about this draft? "This draft doesn't have that immediate starter...".

Really, dude. Do some of these guys realized that quality first year starters do not always come out of the first round and that there's quality starting first year talent that can be pulled out from anywhere in a draft?

SMH

I think they say that every time that the best players are not skilled positions. QBs, RBs and WRs stand out.
EJ Manuel at #12? Wow, that comes as a shock. Why so high?
Originally posted by pdizo916:
why do you have fisher over joeckel?

Higher upside. A bit more athletic. The difference between the top three OT's is micro-thin. I think they are all great talents.
I like seeing Stedman Bailey on your list. I think he will be a steal for whoever picks him up. His production this past year was phenomenal.
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
You formerly had Josh Evans rated higher than Phillip Thomas. What changed your mind? Do you think one of them will end up the 49ers' new FS? Are you confident ranking them higher than Swearinger?

Really close. I like both better than Swearinger, who I also think is a terrific talent. I have Evans and Swearinger at 53 and 57.
Originally posted by saniner:
I like seeing Stedman Bailey on your list. I think he will be a steal for whoever picks him up. His production this past year was phenomenal.

Completely overlooked. Not as sexy a player as Austin, but nobody can deny that the guy is a really good football player, overshadowing Austin in receiving production last year.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
EJ Manuel at #12? Wow, that comes as a shock. Why so high?

I've always had him with a first round grade. Being a QB obviously inflates the value of a player, but I think his upside is off the charts. I think the team that selects him is going to be very happy. I don't think he's a Pro-Bowler, but a solid starting QB in the NFL.
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Ok, so THIS is a draft ranking?
Yes, a ranking/grade. Not a projection of where they land.

Originally posted by blm7754:
You weren't kidding about the surprises.... there are tons here. You clearly are ignoring positional value and medical issues and just basing this off of overall quality of player.

For example, there is no way Cooper is picked before Fisher because OT is more important to a teams success in today's NFL than OG. But if you are just considering a players combination of size, athletecism, technique, and skill then I can see a case being made for Cooper.

Same thing goes for Eifert at 8, Carradine at 10, and Cyprien at 17. No way these guys get picked at those spots in the draft! But I understand your ranking on this basis of evaluation.

Agreed that certain positions inflate value. When all is said and done, the guys who make the Hall are the ones you can do a final grade on. I think Cooper is a 8-10 year Pro-Bowler and first ballot Hall of Famer. I think Eifert is really undervalued...and I don't even like Notre Dame.
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Marquise Goodwin is a top 50 player? No Cordarelle patterson?

Goodwin is so scary fast, that he is going to create headaches for defensive coaches in the NFL. In a studly CB class, he made many really talented corners at the Senior Bowl play WAY off the LOS. To me, he is really dangerous. I wouldn't be upset at all if the team used the 61st selection on him. He will make a much bigger impact than L. James in last year's second round.
Originally posted by mebemused:
Wow, lots of surprises here. It reminds me of Dane Brugler's final Top 100, which is also full of former 2nd and 3rd rounders rising and an amazing number of former first and early second rounders falling. I can't remember another draft where there was such a large scale flip flop just before the draft began.

Here is a link for Brugler's Top 100:
http://www.mercurynews.com/sports/ci_23092446/dane-bruglers-big-board-top-100-nfl-draft

Can't wait to see how this draft shakes out!
That is why I am so high on the second-fourth rounds. It is going to be loaded with really talented players. Very deep second-tier players.
Okay, I'll ask. What are your issues with Ansah and Patterson?

And with you being so high on Carradine, are you hoping we trade up for him?
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
not even in maddogs top 50
Share 49ersWebzone