LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 256 users in the forums

Best Realistic Mock Draft 3.0 4/16

Just a quick mock with no trades and a couple different options at a couple spots. Since everyone said my last draft was a little too perfect with players falling, here's a mock draft I put together by measuring players average position on 6 different big boards that had all been updated in last month to decide who would be available for most of my picks and where. Datone Jones came out at 30.83 which is perfect, and Cyprien was 44.3 while Reed was 53.3 for example. Hope you enjoy!

Round 1 Pick 31: Datone Jones DE UCLA - Adds pressure up the middle in passing situations and can rotate Smith and McDonald and keep them fresh. I would consider Tank Carradine if he could bulk up like Justin Smith did and play the 5 technique.
Round 2 Pick 34: Eric Reid S LSU or Jonathan Cyprien S FIU - I like both of these guys and feel either of them would be worth this pick and one will be here at 34. Both are fast and rangy safeties that aren't afraid to hit, and both can play both safety positions in case we decide to part ways with Whittner.
Round 2 Pick 61: Vance McDonald TE Rice or Travis Kelce TE Cincinnati Since we use 2 TE sets as much as anyone we add a playmaker and redzone threat.
Round 3 Pick 74: David Amerson CB/S or Darius Slay CB Mississippi State (72.2) Either of these guys adds size, speed, and playmaking ability to our secondary and can match up with bigger receivers.
Round 3 Pick 93: Aaron Dobson WR Marshall or Ryan Swope WR Texas A&M - Dobson has very good hands with a tall frame and enough speed to be a deep threat outside with the potential to be a star receiver. Swope has a knack for getting open and improvising on broken plays and was his teams leading the last two seasons with 2 different quarterbacks. He was second on his team his sophmore year with 825 yards.
Round 4 Pick 128: Matt Scott QB Arizona or Le'Veon Bell RB Michigan - Luxury pick either way. Matt Scott is almost a mirror image of Kaepernick, and has under rated accuracy. Harbaugh can groom this guy into a solid back up. Le'Veon Bell would give us a full stable of running backs if Gore gets injured, and combine with Hunter and James to form a nice rotation of balance, speed, and power. He has good hands coming out of the back field
Round 4 Pick 131: David Quessenberry OL San Jose St. or Brian Winters OT/OG Kent State or Reid Fragel OT Ohio State - Flexible offensive linemen who adds depth at tackle and guard. Fragel is a converted tight end who could contribute in our heavy packages.
Round 5 Pick 157: Trevardo Williams OLB Conneticut - Great athlete with pass rushing ability
Round 5 Pick 175: Chris Gragg TE Arkansas - H-Back type tight end - probably best athlete at tight end in draft
Round 6 Pick 180: Josh Boyd NT Mississippi State or A.J. Klein ILB Iowa State - Boyd is an underrated nose tackle whom Tomsula could groom into a quality rotational starter, or A.J. Klein would provide us with quality depth behind Willis and Bowman and would contribute on special teams immediately
Round 7 Pick 227: Rodney Smith WR Florida State or Marquess Wilson WR Washington State - Huge wide outs with decent speed that can challange defenses deep using their size, strength, and leaping ability to win one on one match ups outside.
Round 7 Pick 246: Jeff Baca OL UCLA - Another flexible linemen with experience at tackle but primarily a guard, but after looking over our teams depth chart for the offensive line, I realize we have enough quality depth inside with Kilgore and Looney, so we probably only need to draft an offensive tackle this year. Need a new realistic pick for this spot. Any suggestions????? Could use a flexible punt returner
Round 7 Pick 252: Rashaan Melvin CB Northern Illinois - Fantastic athlete that's had his stock drop due to injuries, great size and speed and one of my favorite sleepers this year
[ Edited by NTeply49 on Apr 16, 2013 at 9:54 PM ]
I like your methodology of averaging big boards. Mocking on this forum is obviously inexact and people can do whatever they want, but it's nice to at least try to ground it in realism.

Also, I've settled on Datone Jones and Cyprien as my dream picks at 31 and 34, and Kelce and Okoye are my other "must draft" players. So needless to say, I'm a huge fan of this mock. I think Jamie Collins is a bit of a luxury pick, but if he's worth the hype as a pass rush extraordinaire, then I can understand the logic. My alternative there would be a CB or second S.
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
I like your methodology of averaging big boards. Mocking on this forum is obviously inexact and people can do whatever they want, but it's nice to at least try to ground it in realism.

Also, I've settled on Datone Jones and Cyprien as my dream picks at 31 and 34, and Kelce and Okoye are my other "must draft" players. So needless to say, I'm a huge fan of this mock. I think Jamie Collins is a bit of a luxury pick, but if he's worth the hype as a pass rush extraordinaire, then I can understand the logic. My alternative there would be a CB or second S.
I didn't feel the urgent need to get a corner in Collins spot and overally I'd prefer it if we robbed someone of a first round pick next year for it. But thank you for the kudos, I agree with the first 2 picks. Those are my dream picks as well, but I like Reid's measurables and think he could replace Whitner next year and we can find a true FS then. Same for Cyprien
Luv tha D.Jones pick hate cyprien just not sold on him so I'd want Reid .. I'm in tha thinking at #61 we need a CB T.brown a free agent next yr N IMO he ain't worth 4-6 million a yr .. really don't see us drafting Collins he's a luxury pick N wont be tha heir to Brooks with him in tha second yr of his fat money ...luv tha Fredrick pick maybe change out tha second TE N put in a swing OT ...
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
Luv tha D.Jones pick hate cyprien just not sold on him so I'd want Reid .. I'm in tha thinking at #61 we need a CB T.brown a free agent next yr N IMO he ain't worth 4-6 million a yr .. really don't see us drafting Collins he's a luxury pick N wont be tha heir to Brooks with him in tha second yr of his fat money ...luv tha Fredrick pick maybe change out tha second TE N put in a swing OT ...

David Quessenberry would probably be the best swing guy in the draft, but not available where my 2nd TE was picked. His score was 110.1, so he could potentially be available at the Trevardo Williams pick. I was also pretty high on Hawthorne as a potential starter, but I can see where you're coming from. We also have Asomugha, but I haven't found a CB I love in that area, and didn't see the need since we have so many CBs at the moment that will make the roster. Who would you suggest I put in Collins place?
[ Edited by NTeply49 on Apr 12, 2013 at 12:29 AM ]
Originally posted by NTeply49:
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:

David Quessenberry would probably be the best swing guy in the draft, but not available where my 2nd TE was picked. His score was 110.1, so he could potentially be available at the Trevardo Williams pick. I was also pretty high on Hawthorne as a potential starter, but I can see where you're coming from. We also have Asomugha, but I haven't found a CB I love in that area, and didn't see the need since we have so many CBs at the moment that will make the roster. Who would you suggest I put in Collins place?

Asomugha is on a one N done done T.brown is a free agent next yr N Rogers may not be back with his high money at #61 I'm sure think CB slay would be there or maybe banks.. we may have a log jam at CB but they take a little time to learn N he can sit N learn frm asomugha ..
I like it, it's not a make believe draft. Jamie Collins is an intriguing selection he could be something special.
If this were our draft results, I'd be a very happy fella.

Throw in an OT like Reid Fragel instead of doubling up on rush LB (Trevardo) and it is even mo betta.
brooks is in 2nd year of a 6 year contract...he is not going to be replaced soon
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Take a Wr at 61.

We also need a CB. B.W. Webb and Jordan Poyer would be good picks at 61.

WR at 74... Dobson or DaRick Rogers. I have a feeling Kelce won't be there at 74 anyways. He's viewed by some as the 2nd best TE in the draft.
Originally posted by NTeply49:
Just a quick mock with no trades, although some of the picks are of the same position like pick 61 and 128 to afford some room for trading. Since everyone said my last draft was a little too perfect with players falling, here's a mock draft I put together by measuring players average position on 6 different big boards that had all been updated in last month to decide who would be available for most of my picks and where. Datone Jones came out at 30.83 which is perfect, and Cyprien was 44.3 while Reed was 53.3 for example. Hope you enjoy!

Round 1 Pick 31: Datone Jones DE UCLA - Heir to Justin Smith and replaces Ray McDonald inside at DT on passing downs, or gives Brooks a rest in nickel situations.
Round 2 Pick 34: Jonathan Cyprien S FIU or Eric Reid S LSU - I like both of these guys and feel either of them would be worth this pick and one will be here at 34. Both are fast and rangy safeties that aren't afraid to hit, and both can play both safety positions in case we decide to part ways with Whittner.
Round 2 Pick 61: Jamie Collins OLB S.Miss - Heir to Ahmad Brooks, brings freakish athleticism and speed to the position and a similar all around skill set with more potential to rush the passer than Brooks. Raw talent, still learning and growing, provides depth and rotational player to keep team fresh for playoff run.
Round 3 Pick 74: Travis Kelce TE Cincinnati - Good all around tight end to replace Walker, can compete with Celek initially for playing time
Round 3 Pick 93: Travis Frederick C/G Wis. - Future replacement for Goodwin that provides depth for the interior line. Boone can swing outside if need be.
Round 4 Pick 128: Trevardo Williams DE Conn. - Another pass rushier to provide depth and competition. More of a nickel end as he is slightly undersized
Round 4 Pick 131: Aaron Dobson WR Marshall - Big, fast, and has great hands, he has the potential to be great but declined his senior season production wise
Round 5 Pick 157: Kwame Geathers NT Georgia - Huge body that could get some playing time at nose as a rookie
Round 5 Pick 175: Terry Hawthorne CB/KR Illinois - Falls due to concussion, has all the ability needed to be a future number 1 corner
Round 6 Pick 180: Duke Williams S Nevada - Good size and speed, can contribute to special teams and learn the safety position while competing with our 2nd pick
Round 7 Pick 227: Joeseph Fauria TE UCLA - Underwhelming combine, but still an undeniable red zone threat with size at 6'7
Round 7 Pick 246: Terry Sinkfield WR Northern Iowa - Rollin' the dice on a potential kick returner with blazing speed who could be used on deep routes
Round 7 Pick 252: Lawrence Okoye DE - Rollin' the dice and letting Tomsula work his magic on the former rugby player

Love ur draft, and wouldnt cry at all if it fell this way. Me, I'd go Jessie Williams and Sweinke (Cal), instead of Jones and Fredrick. Also would get a swing Tackle (Queensbury ??) w/one of my 4ths.., either way, We'd be awesome.
Originally posted by blm7754:

WR at 74... Dobson or DaRick Rogers. I have a feeling Kelce won't be there at 74 anyways. He's viewed by some as the 2nd best TE in the draft.

on other boards he is ranked as the 5th TE. he came out with a score of 90.3
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by blm7754:

Yeah, I'd rather take DaRick at 74. Grab the TE at 61.
Originally posted by mayo49:
Take a Wr at 61.

who would you recommend that would be there at 61?
Share 49ersWebzone