LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 235 users in the forums

1st 3 Picks (49ers)

Pick 1: Cyprein or Reid (FS)
Pick 2: Austin (WR)
Pick 3: Matheiu (CB)

Thoughts?
[ Edited by 49Perspectives on Apr 8, 2013 at 12:10 PM ]
Tavon Austin won't last till pick 34. We would need to trade up for him.
I don't consider WR to be a major need. The speed guy we want is AJ Jenkins, like it or not.

We have at the moment:
Crabtree
Boldin
Williams
Jenkins
Manningham
Lockette
Hastings
Hall

The last 3 probably wont make the 53 man roster. That gives us 5 WRs.

I see the 4 biggest needs (post Boldin, Dorsey, Dahl, and Namdhi) to be FS, DE, NT, TE.

We should consider adding a WR and CB for depth and to push players on the roster. But the first 3 picks should be:

Datone Jones
Jesse Williams
David Amerson
Austin will be gone by our 2nd pick. I like your first pick idea...2nd I'd go w/ Datone Jones (DE) or Jesse Williams (DL), for the 3rd I'd go with TE Travis Kelce.
My thoughts are this thread belongs in The Draft War Room Forum
I like Celek as our 2nd TE
Sorry, Bro..

I really have to disagree with you. I'm not quite sure why I keep seeing datone jones on some peoples draft board. I could be wrong, but when I watch game tape of him, he is not impressive at all. He doesn't dominate, he lacks power, exploiveness, and he seems to never push the pocket backwards. To me, he reminds me of Kentwan Balmer.

Everyone else, good to go.

I will say, I have no idea what we are going to do. The biggest need now, seems to be safety. Hopefully we can move up and grab vacarro, or somehting like that...that would fill a huge need.

Or, maybe we can get cyprian. Just not sure where we are going to go.
Originally posted by simplyfloyd:
Sorry, Bro..

I really have to disagree with you. I'm not quite sure why I keep seeing datone jones on some peoples draft board. I could be wrong, but when I watch game tape of him, he is not impressive at all. He doesn't dominate, he lacks power, exploiveness, and he seems to never push the pocket backwards. To me, he reminds me of Kentwan Balmer.

Everyone else, good to go.

I will say, I have no idea what we are going to do. The biggest need now, seems to be safety. Hopefully we can move up and grab vacarro, or somehting like that...that would fill a huge need.

Or, maybe we can get cyprian. Just not sure where we are going to go.

Just curious, but how many different interior DL have you watched on tape? In my experience, only the top 2-3 prospects continuously dominate on tape. The rest are usually good players that opponents are able to successfully limit by game planning for them (double teams, short passes, running away from them, etc).

Datone Jones falls into that category. IMO, he was often poorly utilized at UCLA. They'd line him up at NT on passing downs. And nobody else on that front was disruptive enough to draw attention away from Jones.

Jones is highly touted in part for his upside. He is very athletic and has the perfect body type for a 3-4 DE. Watch whatever senior bowl tape you can find on him. He was quite impressive both in practices and in the game.
Originally posted by 49Perspectives:
Pick 3: Matheiu(CB)

Thoughts?

These are downright terrible picks. Austin won't be there at 34, and he isn't quite what we need at WR. Matheiu would be a reach at 61. I like Reid at 31, but we would get better value for that pick by grabbing a DL. There are plenty of good safeties in rounds 2-3.
I like Walter Football's prediction:

1. Cyprien
2. Margus Hunt
3. Jesse Williams

I'm not sure Jesse Williams lasts that long, but if he's there, they have to take him. But, if the first three picks worked out like that they'd have a starting-quality safety and two starting quality D-linemen right off the bat. Hunt is 6'8", 285 lb. defensive end with a non-stop motor, Williams can play NT or DT and Cyprien is one of the top three safeties in the draft. If Dorsey and Nnamdi produce at all, the addition of these three completely fixes the defense.

Originally posted by blm7754:
Originally posted by 49Perspectives:
Pick 3: Matheiu(CB)

Thoughts?

These are downright terrible picks. Austin won't be there at 34, and he isn't quite what we need at WR. Matheiu would be a reach at 61. I like Reid at 31, but we would get better value for that pick by grabbing a DL. There are plenty of good safeties in rounds 2-3.

Austin is a deep threat, we defintely can use one. Matheiu is going to be a very good player in this league, you'll become a fan. I don't think that's a reach for a quality starting CB.
[ Edited by 49Perspectives on Apr 8, 2013 at 10:51 AM ]
Thorougly dislike it.

DL is a necessity - period!
Could anyone see us grabbing two FS in this draft?

For example; Reid & Cyprien?
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Could anyone see us grabbing two FS in this draft?

For example; Reid & Cyprien?

Why?
Originally posted by calbear:
I don't consider WR to be a major need. The speed guy we want is AJ Jenkins, like it or not.

We have at the moment:
Crabtree
Boldin
Williams
Jenkins
Manningham
Lockette
Hastings
Hall

The last 3 probably wont make the 53 man roster. That gives us 5 WRs.

I see the 4 biggest needs (post Boldin, Dorsey, Dahl, and Namdhi) to be FS, DE, NT, TE.

We should consider adding a WR and CB for depth and to push players on the roster. But the first 3 picks should be:

Datone Jones
Jesse Williams
David Amerson

The problem with your list of wide receivers is that boldin, williams, manningham, hall, and hastings will not be here next season. also, crabtree only has a couple more seasons with us, and if i had to guess, he will be the odd man out for an extension. we don't want to rely on so many rookies at receiver in the future. we need to draft a wide out in the first three rounds to provide depth for the future. and with the number of picks we have, we have the flexibility to draft with the future in mind.
Share 49ersWebzone