There are 112 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Jessie Williams just makes sense for us in the first round.

Originally posted by sfninerfanMax:
the nose tackle is only going to play 2 downs--not 3rd down. He needs to take on double blocks. The Niners need a real NT more than versatility. Dorsey is versatility.

Here's the story from Daniel Jeremiah who says the Niners should take Williams at 31 over Jenkins. http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2013/04/49ers-draft-scenarios-ten-plus-minutes-with-daniel-jeremiah.html
I'm still unsure as to why I wouldn't be on board with Jessie Williams at 31. Maybe at the end of the 2nd. As a matter of fact, I'd prefer Brandon Williams over Jessie Williams.
Daniel Jeremiah thinks we should take Williams with the 31st pick.

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2013/04/49ers-draft-scenarios-ten-plus-minutes-with-daniel-jeremiah.html
Originally posted by reasonable1:
Originally posted by Ninerfan81:
He played mostly NT at Bama and that's what they do. The dirty work. Clogging up the middle, taking on multiple players to stop the run and free up other's to get to the QB.

I agree with you. However, the point is that the same reasons people are champions for Williams are the EXACT same reasons they discount Jenkins. Which is what I do not understand.

Jenkins clogs the middle, takes on mulitple players, stops the run, frees up others...BUT the caveat to Jenkins is that he is also a very good pass rusher up the middle when called to do so...something that Williams just does not offer.

OK. We're talking about the 49ers and one possible differentiator is this:

The team has a hard hat mentality. Meaning that they prfer players who are workers (as opposed to slackers). I don't know this with certainty, but I have heard that Jenkins takes plays off, isn't always in great shape, that kind of thing. Can that quality be corrected? Maybe. But one would rather be sure and sign the guy that has already demonstrated that trait.

Jesse Williams is a guy who brings his lunch pail to work. He's a hard worker. He was a centerpiece on defense on the best college team. He performed the task he was asked to perform at the highest level. Very well. He fits the Niner mold.

Look at the Niners roster. All of the successful guys and the ones they resign have that tendency. They go after those guys.

Side note: I believe that was a problem with AJ Jenkins. Why he saw so little of the field. It's debatable if the has that mentality. It was distressing to hear him say that he was going to work on getting stronger this off season. Man . . . what exactly the f*** were you doing DURING the season? The team already told you BEFORE the season that they need you to get stronger and you're only getting the message now?!!? LMJ got the message and got stronger over the season and got significant playing time too (of course there were extenuating circumstances also, but his dligence helped). I seriously have my doubts on whether the Niners didn't make a mistake with Jenins; that he does not posses the necessary attitude. I really hope that I am wrong and he will make the adjustment. But I digress.
Originally posted by reasonable1:
I agree with you. However, the point is that the same reasons people are champions for Williams are the EXACT same reasons they discount Jenkins. Which is what I do not understand.

Jenkins clogs the middle, takes on mulitple players, stops the run, frees up others...BUT the caveat to Jenkins is that he is also a very good pass rusher up the middle when called to do so...something that Williams just does not offer.

You want to know why?

A-Williams has a higher ceiling, has been playing football for a much shorter amount of time, has more room to develop.

B-Williams plays with a much higher and more consistent motor. He's always attacking, always fighting, Jenkins has had a tendency to come out with intensity in the first half of games and fall off the map in the 2nd.

C-Williams is actually the stronger player physically, Jenkins has about 20 pounds on him but Williams has insane upper body strength, he has the ability to consistently push the pocket and hold up against double teams.

Athletically, Jesse Williams is the better prospect, in terms of developing, he's also the better prospect. People are incredibly fascinated with Margus Hunt but not many seem to note that Williams is quite an athletic freak as well. His motor never seems to die, this guy keeps fighting and fighting, there aren't questions about his conditioning or effort level like you see with Jenkins.
I think the Niners will trade up a bit to get Williams. They did it with Anthony Davis, I think it is very likely they trade up a bit here.